View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ellea
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2012, 09:37 PM
I live in the country and allways said 2 a nice no as one companey for the other but as years went by 2 became 3 and so on till hubby said no more when it got to 6 I think it was because it was not only the dogs but the 20odd cats ,hens ,ducks, greese all saved from bad condidions oh and not forgetting the horse. My no's have reduced as in the cats hens ect and I no longer have a horse so at present I have 8 dogs 8 cats 4 hens and 2 greese
Would love to have a few more but it's the hubby who the problem LOL
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Although I've got plenty of room -outside at least- my ideal number is 1. For our lifestyle one would be perfect and I really wish I had stuck to just Ailsa, having said that Jake is the dog love of my life really but life would be sooooo much easier with just the one.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Are there any ideal numbers/ sex mixes in multi dog households?

I've had 3 over the last year, but recently a few people have said that it can be a tricky number and 4 or 2 would be better. The basis of both peoples arguments (one was a rescue organisation) was that with 3 you can get 2 ganging up on the other? Mine have been ok, but I have had 5 yr gaps between them.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Hmmmm not sure. Probably two would be my absolute maximum but money-wise etc it's unlikely that we'd have two long-term. There may be some cross-over when we get a puppy as Whisper will hopefully still be with us (and she's getting soo much better with other dogs I'm less and less worried about her reaction to a puppy) but if anything happened to Whisper I'm not sure we'd get another dog in addition to the puppy.

That didn't seem to make much sense lol.

But hopefully you know what I mean! I think I'd like to get a puppy whilst we've still got Whisper as we could see how go with two dogs without it being very long-term. (Whisper is 8 years old and it's not likely we'll get a puppy for year or two yet)
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 05:23 AM
I have 5, and although i wouldn't be without any of them, i won't have this many again, 3 is a nice number
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 05:37 AM
I have 5 now. I can walk three large dogs at a time so probably 6 large dogs is enough so I can do two walks a day. I could have another little one too so around 7 is my limit.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2012, 06:39 AM
I have two at the moment, but I think in my present circumstances it would be much easier with one. I work four days a week, and it is hard sometimes to give them both the individual attention they need. I had a week with just Jake a couple of months ago, and he was so much calmer when he was on his own. They do get on very well, but I think he feels like he has to compete for my attention when it's the two of them. Simon is also getting on a bit, so I can see me having to do two separate walks soon, a short one together, and then a longer one for Jake.

In some ways it is good, they play together and are company for each other, and I do love having two, but unless I win the lottery and can devote more time to them, I think I will stick to one in the future.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 07:56 AM
I've got two and often walk my grans collie too which doesn't make that much difference. It would be easier if she was trained to the same standard as mine though as she can be a madam!
I would say at the moment 2 living with me is my limit due to room, money and time but in the future I wouldn't rule out more.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:19 AM
i like even numbers so i have two.. and see my limit as 4. maybe more, but i think 4 is a good number.

the plan is the two littleuns i have now, and then either two bigguns, or another little one and one big one. i think 4 dogs at a time will give me enough time to own all the breeds i want to too
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:12 AM
I have had four dogs for the last few years but think in the future I will get down to having just two WL GSDs (a dog and a bitch) or perhaps even just one male, so I can pour all my time, attention and energy into one.

I like my dogs to have other canine company, but my OH will always have multiple working dogs, so mine will neve be sort of that, even if I only have one.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >