View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't think you have to be well off to buy and keep a dog, compared to other things it's really not that expensive.

When I got my dog not much chaged, I went out as much as ever, we had the money for him or we wouldn't have got him.

I have just had my 3rd child and again, do you have to be well off to have a child what with equipment/ clothes, nappies etc? Well off- no. Sensible, well it helps.
chaosjoey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 02:02 PM
I would just like to echo what other people have said. We work hard to pay for the things our dogs need. Both me and OH work full time - if we didn't we couldn't afford to have the dogs in the first place. When OH lost his job a few years back we made sure that the dogs' needs were met first which on occasions meant we had to eat very basic meals! And I wouldn't have it any other way! They are insured which has been a god send previously with vet treatment for Chaos.

The only way we do save some money on doggie bits and bobs is that OH now works for a company which supplies pet products so we get a discount on toys, bedding, etc!!!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
This I kind of don't understand. Say a rehoming fee was, for example, at the high end and around £120. My dogs cost me about £40 each a month. Presumably for another dog, I'd have that £40 a month to hand...so if I didn't have £120 to hand, all I'd do is put that £40 aside each month for 3 months, then voila, I have my homing fee, AND I know from physically doing it that I can live without that £40, so can afford the dog.
Short answer.

Not everyone is awesome at saving :P - if the spare money's there we DO fritter it on junk LOL, if it's not and it's on the monthly outgoings spreadsheet - it goes straight to what it's for. We know we can afford the food and insurance for a second dog within the budget - so don't start the attacks that I'd be a lousy dog owner please.

Longer answer.

I know I've got a fairly decent chunk of cash coming in from marking work in May and part of that is already allocated for this if we don't find the spare cash sooner than that.

I'm an impatient git but hubby's closer to cracking on this one that I am at the moment
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Short answer.

Not everyone is awesome at saving :P - if the spare money's there we DO fritter it on junk LOL, if it's not and it's on the monthly outgoings spreadsheet - it goes straight to what it's for. We know we can afford the food and insurance for a second dog within the budget - so don't start the attacks that I'd be a lousy dog owner please.
I'm not saying you'd be a lousy dog owner, nothing of the sort, I'm just struggling to understand that if you know you'll have, say, £40 a month spare for a dog, why you couldn't put that aside for 3 months to afford the rehoming fee. This is a general you, not specific to you personally, I've just so many people say they want a dog but can't afford a £100~ rehoming fee, and can't understand it. I'm not "awesome at saving", I too am of the mentality that if the money's there and isn't for bills, I'll spend it (hence OH nagging me to set up an ISA and transfer money each week for our house deposit), but if I really wanted a dog then I'd transfer the money to a seperate account or withdraw it, or make a mental note to allow x about for the dog.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I lack willpower lol - and I'll admit it. You know how it can be - the money you spend expands to the amount of it you have to spend - hence doing stuff like lining up direct debits for the day after payday and the like! We've just moved house and are recovering from the little expenses there anyway - so the leeway's not in our budget at the moment - it happens when it happens (like I say - I think my husband the financially responsible one will crack before I do - he's besotted with the Woofbag and loves being adored by a waggy tail )

Summer time for a second dog actually fits us better anyway to be honest - I know I'll be around 100% of the time (I work odd half-days here and there during term time), the weather's nice and me and the current Woofbag have a hectic schedule of walkies already planned out with space for two
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 02:49 PM
We have alot of animals.....not rich though, but I have a fantastic accountant....Hubby

Patrich is awesome with money I must admit, every month(shopping) its the same...human food, animals food, Bills etc. Once all that is done I can do what I want. Not that I buy expensive clothing etc., but we do go out on a fortnightly basis or buy a take-away, or go to the carvery.

I think we are lucky Patrick is paid weekly and my pay is fortnightly, so it is easier than stretching costs over a monthly basis.
We know the cost of animals food/expenses so that is always accounted for, we don't buy fancy designer beds and collars etc., and I certainly don't have fancy expensive food bowls for them, but everything is clean and hygienic, I admit my dogs dishes were ones my Gran had....errrrrrrr nearly 33 years old metal ones used for puddings in the day of Granny's use
Reah can not be insured as she had so many injuries that insurances are not interested, so I save in a savings account. All the others are but then most vet bills never really get past the excess, so the saving account will often get used there and I just pop it back later (payday)
The horse is insured, the chickens and furry's aren't but then again I have a large bottle that cash goes into and used on them if needed
Greyhoundlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2011, 03:17 PM
We are far from rich, but budget wisely for our dogs.

We usually have 3 or 4
rescues with an occasional foster.We insure our own and save small amounts to cover innoculations, antibiotics etc, but know we may not always be able to do this as ours like others have insecure jobs at the mo.
We don't smoke, drink, go out socially (other than on walks, shows etc with friends), and rarely have holidays. When we do the dogs all come with us as they are "our family"
I would rather live like this and make sacrifices any day, as the daily joy and unconditional love we get from our dogs beats material objects for us any day.
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 03:56 PM
I work full time, am lucky that it's a well paid job, however I did a lot of badly paid jobs to get where I am! Just have always made sure that the essentials were paid for first, and that included the dog. She never goes without. It's not that expensive to own a dog.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 04:37 PM
My Oh has quite a well paid job, which helps alot.
We dont smoke or drink, we rarely go out, but do enjoy a take-away now and again.

The dogs eat autarky, which we get from costco for £12 a bag instead of retail at about £20 a bag [15kg] so we save there.
Their insurance is about £30 a month for the 3 of them.
They dont really have treats, we always have some in the house but they dont regularly have them during the day.
I bought them each a nice collar and lead [wainwrights] which is very strong and hardwearing, but at the same time its comfy, so that should last them quite a while.
Right now they are probably costing us no more than about £50 a mont..and for 3 dogs I think thats very good.
Flints booster is due next month so thats £20.
I think I worked it out the other day and in a year, provided no extreme vet trips our 3 dogs cost us around about £600- £700.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Thankyou all very much for all your interesting and honest replies(wasn't expecting so many). I did adopt Scoop from rescue(i often say adopt instead of buy, wherever a dog/puppy is from) and the event on Monday made me question(again) if there is any way could afford to have another dog at present, juggle things or cut back anymore(even though know the answer already). Don't get me wrong, i feel very fortunate n lucky to have my dog here and everything she has done/does for me. I don't go out, buy clothes(unless desperate), make up, hair dresser etc. only have an occassional drink (do smoke, a little, sorry to say), am not bothered about furniture etc. Like folk here i choose to have a dog, she is a very much loved part of family. I hope very much to give another dog a home in the future, but unexpected changes happen n will have to be later rather than sooner. It makes me happy that folk here(and others) don't 'just have a dog/s' n other animals(or have had at some time) but they are a part of family and very much loved and cared for.
Best Wishes to all
H (x)
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >