View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lilysmommy
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2009, 03:29 AM
and my old Collie (sadly now at rainbow bridge) went 23 years with no dental required
wow! a 23 year old dog? That's amazing!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
I don't give my Lily rawhide bones. Rawhide is bleached and processed beef hide. Nylabones are a great alternative! Lily has been chewing on one for quite a while and hasn't been able to destroy it (she's known for destroying things within a couple days of getting it). They come in flavors like bacon!
I've always wanted dogs i've had to chew nylabones, but i have never had one that has even given a half hearted chew of one! They just completely ignore them!
Lilysmommy
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I've always wanted dogs i've had to chew nylabones, but i have never had one that has even given a half hearted chew of one! They just completely ignore them!

Aw I'm sorry! Lily will chew on anything I give her. She trys to destroy all of her toys (and thankfully she only does it to the toys I give her and not furniture or other things...). The only things that have lasted her so far are the Nylabone, Kong, a cheap elephant squeaky toy from wal*mart, and a wool tug toy (although the tug toy is just about ready to throw out, but she's had it since she was about 3 months old).
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-01-2009, 03:42 PM
All mine have had them since they were young, same with Storm and had no problems. I can understand why people wouldnt if they have had a dog nearly choke as I am the same, as mine dont have pigs ears as much now, it just goes to show its possible for dogs to choke on most type of things.
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by AiredaleKate View Post
Have you tried Nylabones? Not the edible "greenies" ones they do, but the plastic ones? Our youngest loves them and they are difficult to get big bits off (Airedales have HUGE teethies and she hasn't managed to do any harm with a Nylabone so far). They do various ones with different tates for different size dogs/teething stages.
I gave Amber Nylabones when she was a puppy she loved them. I would never give a rawhind bone or treat to my dog, I've heard of case of large peices get twisted in their tummy and having to have an operation to remove it.
Schnauzerbabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I too don't give Lexi rawhide chews anymore she never choked on one but we found that they made her sick which since not having is a rare occasion...
Sue
Dilkara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Mine don't often have them, but they do really enjoy them, keeps them quiet and busy for a while.. I tend to get the cigar ones or really huge ones which can be taken away and returned to them. They're both very good with chewing them properly, perhaps cos when they are young I would hold the end so they learnt to chew it well.
Ace_Animals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I was told that samoyeds couldn't digest it so not to feed it and I never have..
Really? I've never heard of this before. Has anyone else heard of this? I've just googled it too but didn't come up with anything. I've known a few people who've been owned by Samoyeds and they've never had any problems with rawhide.

Personally, my two dogs get rawhide (in a variety of shapes and sizes) and, although they occasionally will swallow a bit that is a bit too big for them, they have a couple of gulps, choke for a matter of seconds and then regurgitate it back up again. Only to immediately go and eat it again. Usually goes down OK on the second attempt it seems

They've had it since they were pups - fab for teething on and great for keeping their teeth clean and their jaws active. I'll leave mine unattended with it. There is always a slim chance they'll choke but then they could choke on anything when left unattended. No one can ever say with 100% certainty that their dog won't, one day, no matter how well behaved it usually is, might decide to chew a bit of table leg off and choke on that instead.

My dogs will occasionally have a chew on their Nylabones (mine prefer the plain, synthetic flavoured ones over the bacon, etc. type ones it seems. They're odd ) but neither of them will sit and chew a Nylabone or anything like that for long. If its not tasty they're not bothered with it beyond the first couple of minutes.

And even then, some dogs can get through supposedly "indistructable" Nylabones so care should be taken with those as well as they're far more likely to lead to death through choking IF the dog chewed a lump off than say a lump of rawhide.

My biggest niggle with rawhide is the soggyness and the fact it "stains" everything it touches when soggy. I feel a new thread coming on regarding this one!! "How do you get rid of rawhide on carpet?"
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I got mine some pressed pig skin rawhide bones from wilkinsons, they love them and best of all no squitty bums! I will be buying some more at the weekend
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

22-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi I give mine the largest size Pidge , the bone shaped one's and I have necver had a problem, though I do keep a careful eye and remove them when they get smallish and goey. They love them.

MelgemsI also give mine pigs ears, but just a little word of warning . My old girl Ludmilla sadly now gone tot he bridge had a bad experience with a pig's ear. I would be careful if and inspect them and if you find one's with a hole at the bottom ( she got a tooth stuck in the hole , which had a little strip of the ear at the botton with a and it lot of patience and force(which must have hurt to get ithe tooth, out of the hole )so now I still give them to my boys, but if there is a holeat the bottom I make a slit bottom of it with strong scissors or a saw , so that if a tooth should go in it does not get caught and can come out the slit. Hope this makes sense as it is hard to describe what I mean.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >