Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Either her vet is a numpty or she told you porkies, hip scores can`t be re-done later for the same dog under the BVA, its not allowed.
DITO, you can appeal but not have the same dog scored twice, I think in an appeal the same xrays are looked at again but dont quote me on that,,
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
DITO, you can appeal but not have the same dog scored twice, I think in an appeal the same xrays are looked at again but dont quote me on that,,
...UNLESS you can prove (with the word of a Vet assistant) that the Vet in question was incompetent in moving the hips etc during the scoring, then they will allow a dog to be done again, but I've only ever heard of this happening once before and it was a very lengthy process to have it done.

But yes, that was a once off and they dont score twice, just appeal the results of the plates.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:40 PM
£186 expensive is'nt it for a bit of medication and gas,
I went to pick up Tigger when she was first diagnosed epi and the vet was struggling to put out this beautiful malamute(I think) she was beautiful and I weren't in no hurry so I held the mask on while we then lifted her on to the table and pop her hips (she was on her back) into this mold thingy and try to postition her, so I donned the aprony thingy and helped her xray her, I didnt know it was that much trouble to be honest 9 x-rays we took she said the board are very strict and they have to be just so. Well it came back a few months later she was clear on both side's she was only 12 month's old.(I asked)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Just out of interest ZB, how much do you pay to have your dog's hips x-rayed ??

I know most places vary, but was surprised recently at just how much !!
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=65248

above a link to holly and vinnies hip costing from my vet, not bad I thought

...UNLESS you can prove (with the word of a Vet assistant) that the Vet in question was incompetent in moving the hips etc during the scoring, then they will allow a dog to be done again, but I've only ever heard of this happening once before and it was a very lengthy process to have it done.

But yes, that was a once off and they dont score twice, just appeal the results of the plates.
so glad I dont have an incompetent vet, But surely they should check the xrays before they are sent, I know sometimes my vet has to take several xrays to get it just right,,, I also believe during the drying period of the xrays they have to be carefuly handled or they can be damaged and give a bad result, my vet takes the plates checks them before bringing the dog round and god help anyone who dared handle them prior to being properly dried or whatever it is,.... x I think the vet in question would be very embarassed at sending in xrays that are not good enough quality to be scored properly due to quality being bad
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:50 PM

I`d be surprised if that case was really accurate as the BVA return the radiographs unscored to the vet who sent them and request new ones to be done, whether for poor positioning or poor visual quality, so in such cases that`s not an appeal scenario at all and is`nt a lengthy process other making a new appointment and the vet sending off the new ones
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
£186 expensive is'nt it for a bit of medication and gas,
I went to pick up Tigger when she was first diagnosed epi and the vet was struggling to put out this beautiful malamute(I think) she was beautiful and I weren't in no hurry so I held the mask on while we then lifted her on to the table and pop her hips (she was on her back) into this mold thingy and try to postition her, so I donned the aprony thingy and helped her xray her, I didnt know it was that much trouble to be honest 9 x-rays we took she said the board are very strict and they have to be just so. Well it came back a few months later she was clear on both side's she was only 12 month's old.(I asked)
So you do hipscore, or am I missing something ?

That procedure is hip scoring and if you had a score back of clear on both sides 0/0 that is a hip score !

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=65248

above a link to holly and vinnies hip costing from my vet, not bad I thought

so glad I dont have an incompetent vet, But surely they should check the xrays before they are sent, I know sometimes my vet has to take several xrays to get it just right,,, I also believe during the drying period of the xrays they have to be carefuly handled or they can be damaged and give a bad result, my vet takes the plates checks them before bringing the dog round and god help anyone who dared handle them prior to being properly dried or whatever it is,.... x I think the vet in question would be very embarassed at sending in xrays that are not good enough quality to be scored properly due to quality being bad
I don't think the plates were bad quality, but the vet had placed the dog crooked in the cradle, so the hips were extremely uneven and he rushed the procedure. Luckily the honest vet nurse contacted the owner and said that although the plates had been submitted, she didn't think a score would come back. The score however did come back very low on one side and ridiculously high on the other, so the owner appealed. Eventually when it was done again the score was the same both sides, and the BVA put it down to being uneven in the cradle and the hip area shadowing itself (or something like that !) so making it look very Dysplastic. Luckily they were sympathetic and allowed the initial scoring to be destroyed. The owner was not a breeder either, but just wanted to check as many do, but imagine getting that and being devastated at the result !! You are supposed to trust your vet
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:52 PM
I`d be surprised if that case was really accurate as the BVA return the radiographs unscored to the vet who sent them and request new ones to be done, whether for poor positioning or poor visual quality, so in such cases that`s not an appeal scenario at all and is`nt a lengthy process other making a new appointment and the vet sending off the new ones
Just seen this ! I explained in my last post Patch, it wasn't the unclear plates it was the idiot vet who was snitched on by his vet nurse
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Just seen this ! I explained in my last post Patch, it wasn't the unclear plates it was the idiot vet who was snitched on by his vet nurse
Definitely an unusual circumstance then good on the vet nurse ! I hope she did`nt lose her job as a result of being honest and ethical, she sounds like a star
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Definitely an unusual circumstance then good on the vet nurse ! I hope she did`nt lose her job as a result of being honest and ethical, she sounds like a star
As far as I know she was leaving very soon on Maternity, so left slightly earlier than intended before she had no choice I guess !!

Very honest of her though, although I do suspect that if she hadn't of been leaving, she may not have blew the whistle !!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2008, 12:03 AM

I think it mentions somit like that on the paper work must go have a peek,,,gawd I should be up on all this but to be honest I know my vet is very careful about it so I DONT have to worrie, I hadnt heard of them being re done though,,,eg you can re submit them after a while, Its a one off thing as far as i know x
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »