View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Jess as i see it nobody is convincing anybody to feed raw. I used to some years ago but in the last 20 yrs i have used a complete meal. my dogs , the same breed, are no different to how they were 30 yrs ago.i feed my dogs how i want as do other people and no matter what, nobody will dictate to me .
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 06:42 PM
i must admit that i am more able to believe dog listener than jess cos he is not ranting at me! i will not feed max raw as i know somebody personally whose dog died choking on a chicken wing bone. i cant take that risk with max. he is doing really well on nature diet and autarky and apart from his post op hoo haa this week has never been ill anbd he has a lovely coat and people are always telling me how great he looks. i dont like any of these fads where people get all hyped up throwing it in your face it puts me off instantly its all just up to individuals to do what they feel is right. how old are you jess i dont mean that in a rude way i am just wondering
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 06:43 PM
I feed a mixture of raw and cooked although I first started off on a well known complete

for food intolerance reasons i changed to raw and it works for us

Just like people different foods suit different animals
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

03-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by jess
Guys you are getting me wrong. my way isnt the only right way, as their are so many ways to feed naturally - cooked, meat no bones, just bones etc etc etc.

what i mean on the whole is that we love our dogs so we should do right by them by researching and making ourselves knowledgable so we can make the right desicions for them. alot of people i know feed burns, and the dogs look great. my aim is to let people know there are other ways instead of just the conventional meat-outova-tin way.

i started this rant after reading the forum on the doglisteners site, where he is convincing everyone to feed anything but raw. as an advocate for raw, i was shocked that he is scaring people against feeding raw.
my way is the right way for me. it is not my intention to make everyone else do it my way, that would be a bit hitler-ish of me
I do not think you have quite got my drift. Perhaps you have not read my last 20 posts or it has passed you by.

Just to set the record straight I do not recommend RAW feeding on my forum because I think it is DANGEROUS, have you got that? is that now totally clear, as a professional behaviourist I have seen the effects of raw diets on both health and behaviour. That is what I do for a living I am not sure what you do but I am certain it not in animal behaviour. Once again you have contradicted yourself. In many of the posts you have said we shouldn't listen to the scientists only our hearts and do the right thing then is this post you say
by researching and making ourselves knowledgable so we can make the right desicions for them

Perhaps you can tell me where we can research, because as you know there is no research. Billinghurst and all the rest of the BARF gurus have been asked constantly for researched and scientific proof of the benefit of BARF and guess what? Stony silence, so where is this research you keep going on about.

I actually think you are parroting someone else and that person is probably O'Driscoll you respect and admire her and have become almost her acolyte. You did mention you were an active member of the Canine Health Concern. Is that a paid position by any chance. Or is that just me being cynical.

Stan
fatcat
New Member!

04-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Please note that if you freeze your dog's raw food, it will kill anything nasty in it. This is the truth. Dogs can't get avian flu from raw chicken. Fact. You have to breathe in the virus.
If you want to read a lot of sense on feeding raw please take a look at this website. Note that I have absolutely nothing to do with it, other than using it to ask advice which is freely given. There is a lady called Jackie who you can ask questions of. She, like most of us, used to feed processed food to her dogs, and thought feeding raw was all the things you people against raw feeding think. She doesn't go with BARF though, she follows Tom Lonsdale. He came before BARF. I am in the process of switching from BARF to Tom Lonsdale's diet, as I had a long conversation with her yesterday and value her knowledge. Anyway here is the website www.ukrmb.co.uk
PLEASE you anti raw, just take a look, and you never know, you may be converted like a lot of us. As far as research goes, is not the last 100,000 years not enough research for you! You will never find any research on feeding raw. Don't you lot realize how much money it costs to fund research. Who are the only people rich enough, and who will gain from research. Obviously the dog food manufacturers. Why, and who, do you think would fund research into raw feeding? No one will gain anything from it. Please think carefully before making silly statements folks. Please doglistner tell us all why you think feeding raw is "DANGEROUS". Choking on bones?? Obstructions caused by bones??? Salmonella?
Parasites?? Choking can happen, and it can also happen using processed food. Ditto to obstructions. Salmonella is found in the faeces of dogs fed solely on processed food. Parasites are killed stone dead by freezing.
craig
Dogsey Junior

04-03-2005, 03:01 PM
this is the way that i feed my dogs and have done since they were wee pups
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Doglistener

Just to set the record straight I do not recommend RAW feeding on my forum because I think it is DANGEROUS, have you got that? is that now totally clear, as a professional behaviourist I have seen the effects of raw diets on both health and behaviour. That is what I do for a living I am not sure what you do but I am certain it not in animal behaviour. Once again you have contradicted yourself. In many of the posts you have said we shouldn't listen to the scientists only our hearts and do the right thing then is this post you say
by researching and making ourselves knowledgable so we can make the right desicions for them

Perhaps you can tell me where we can research, because as you know there is no research. Billinghurst and all the rest of the BARF gurus have been asked constantly for researched and scientific proof of the benefit of BARF and guess what? Stony silence, so where is this research you keep going on about.

I actually think you are parroting someone else and that person is probably O'Driscoll you respect and admire her and have become almost her acolyte. You did mention you were an active member of the Canine Health Concern. Is that a paid position by any chance. Or is that just me being cynical.

Stan
What dangers do you refer to?? and what affects on behaviour...PLEASE clarify.
99.9 % of people take advice as to what is best for their dogs from other people/sites/books....it is beyond the boundaries of us mortals to perform controlled tests on feeds and decide which is best for our animals...we all read and research and to run someone down for 'parroting' someone else is not necessary.
I feed BARF because I consider it the most beneficial food for MY dogs....I have no problem with what ever anyone else choses to feed.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 03:57 PM
i started this rant after reading the forum on the doglisteners site, where he is convincing everyone to feed anything but raw. as an advocate for raw, i was shocked that he is scaring people against feeding raw.
Well Jess maybe u should u have taken it up with DogListner on that site and not brought it over to us.

I will continue to feed my dog as I see fit and so long as he's thriving on it and he's happy then so am I.

I think it's about time we stoped this thread and maybe continue any issues u may have with each other via PM or email or even better JUST LEAVE IT BE.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Staffy
Well Jess maybe u should u have taken it up with DogListner on that site and not brought it over to us.
I will continue to feed my dog as I see fit and so long as he's thriving on it and he's happy then so am I.
I think it's about time we stoped this thread and maybe continue any issues u may have with each other via PM or email or even better JUST LEAVE IT BE.
Well said Staffy this is a moderate friendly site and we who use it a lot share our experiences and then form our own opinions, we do not need fanatics of any persuasion coming here and lecturing us and ramming their opinions down our throats ad nauseum.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

04-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Hmm.... well I feed raw food to my lot. Know a few breeders been doing the same all their life, couple of them in particular for over 70yrs, so thats hardly a fad or a new way.
I don`t know of any scientific evidence for it but there again how could there be when its only the giant pharmaceuticals that can afford to do those sort of trials? The scientists are only just getting to grips with whats best nutritionally wise for humans, let alone animals so I`m very dubious about all their claims for complete. Because as scientists have now found out, vitamins & minerals need each other to work & the best way to do that is eat a variety of foods. How that can be achieved with a complete diet of say salmon & potato or lamb & rice etc that has firstly, the vits & mins destroyed by such high heat & then adding synthetic ones back into it.
Doglistener, I know you`re a dog trainer but what are your qualifications & do you have any in animal nutrition?
Anyway, as I said, my lot are fed a variety of raw food & they are a lot healthier than when I fed complete.

Christine.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »