Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Thanks for that CC. The dates are further up on the posting.
It's just Dougiepit getting up to mischief again
sorry everyone
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 04:14 PM
I think you'll find that only working gundogs and some dogs used for military/police purposes will continue to be docked but as they can only be shown at shows where there is no fee paying public they will never be able to attend Crufts.
I do think docking has now been consigned to the past and in a few years time people will be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Becky
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I think you'll find that only working gundogs and some dogs used for military/police purposes will continue to be docked but as they can only be shown at shows where there is no fee paying public they will never be able to attend Crufts.
I do think docking has now been consigned to the past and in a few years time people will be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Becky
i dont think this will be the case,what about the dogs that have alreay been docked,or the imported dogs
umm,i dont like docking,but i have owned a docked dog,woteva floats your boat really.
it mite be 'cruel',but you could say spaying is cruel,or dew clawing.
i honestly believe you will see a decline in certain breeds due to the ban,when your used to seeing a certain breed docked they just dont look rite with a tail.
i didnt buy xena because of the way she looked,i luv rottis,but alot of people do buy dogs because of looks,the breed itself comes second
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by cc22peatree View Post
i dont think this will be the case,what about the dogs that have alreay been docked,or the imported dogs
umm,i dont like docking,but i have owned a docked dog,woteva floats your boat really.
it mite be 'cruel',but you could say spaying is cruel,or dew clawing.
i honestly believe you will see a decline in certain breeds due to the ban,when your used to seeing a certain breed docked they just dont look rite with a tail.
i didnt buy xena because of the way she looked,i luv rottis,but alot of people do buy dogs because of looks,the breed itself comes second
Going off topic as this is not what the OP was about but

The new law applies to dogs docked after the April date. Dogs that have already been docked will still be able to be shown. Some countries have a complete ban when it comes to showing, whether dogs were docked before or after the ban date
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by BC's Forever View Post
I just couldn't believe it yesterday. Someone phoned the surgery and said that she had just had a litter of rottie puppies and did we do tail docking!!!! Needless to say I told her that there was no way we would do it 1) because its a very painful experience, 2) it's totally unecessary and 3) it's illegal!
She then had the cheek to ask me if I knew anywhere that did do it, and to argue that it wasn't a painful thing to do.
When I came off of the phone I was fuming! some people just make me so mad I don't see how anyone can consider putting dogs through that

sorry I just had to have a rant
to get back on2 topic,i can see where coming from,i would of been raving too
but mainly as she left it so late,it isnt something that should be taken so lightly.
ive know pups that have died of infection as they have been docked,and yes,a vet docked them
i feel that the law shouldnt have any exemptions and it should be banned fully
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Sorry but I don't agree.
If you hold a position such as a vet or veterinary staff. It is not your job to make personal statements if you don't agree with something. However you feel about docking. The woman was within her right to enquire about it. If the practise doesn't do docking then that's the practises right however it would have been more helpful to have put her in touch with the correct people.
Yes this lady obviously hadn't done her homework but it's her choice at the end of the day. We can come on here and disagree with people and have our own opinions but when you are serving the public it is very unprofessional.
This isn't about the docking enquiry. It's about the way it was handled. It could just something else, ie, being told to booster every 12 months and your risking your dog if you don't. About spaying at 6 months or your risking your dog. These are areas which peoples opinions differ greatly on. A vet should respect that and be balanced on their approach and not bring their own personal issues into it.
The whole incident didn't benefit the pups in any way or educate the owner. We will never know now what happens to those pups good or bad.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Sorry but I don't agree.
If you hold a position such as a vet or veterinary staff. It is not your job to make personal statements if you don't agree with something. However you feel about docking. The woman was within her right to enquire about it. If the practise doesn't do docking then that's the practises right however it would have been more helpful to have put her in touch with the correct people.
Yes this lady obviously hadn't done her homework but it's her choice at the end of the day. We can come on here and disagree with people and have our own opinions but when you are serving the public it is very unprofessional.
This isn't about the docking enquiry. It's about the way it was handled. It could just something else, ie, being told to booster every 12 months and your risking your dog if you don't. About spaying at 6 months or your risking your dog. These are areas which peoples opinions differ greatly on. A vet should respect that and be balanced on their approach and not bring their own personal issues into it.
The whole incident didn't benefit the pups in any way or educate the owner. We will never know now what happens to those pups good or bad.
wot i ment is i could see why she was angry with the woman,but yes,your rite,it was unprofessional to talk to a potental client like that.
not only that but it could give the vets a bad name,word gets around
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-02-2007, 05:19 PM
I used to work in an HQ section of the Employment Service, and had to deal frequently with potentially explosive telephone calls. I used to find that things could be cooled off by saying something like: "There are two opinions at this end of the line - mine, and the Department's. They are not necessarily the same, but I have to give you the Department's opinion." That way, you don't have to go into any detail at all to get your idea across!

Snorri
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Sorry but I don't agree.
I agree with this post but just thought I would point out it wasnt really the vet it was a nurse, I seem to find in some surgerys though these days that nurse's feel they have mrcv or the like after there name, Lucky for me my surgery dont though, the other thing I like about them is when you call them to ask about something, they very rarely say oh its this or that unless its something dead routine they say, would it be possible to call you back after I have asked the vet,. I am blessed with a fab vet though, lol,
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 06:18 PM
in my opinon education is everything therefore mabe the way you came across wasnt right (fuming) but the point you had was.
and any vet who would agree to dock a tail just for show reasons (this doesnt include dogs who will actually be used for working where their tail could cause them more harm) shouldnt be a vet in the 1st place
ATD xxx
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »