Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze
Basically you should use common sense and take things with as much a pinch of salt as nescessery.

They are peoples opinions being posted and I take them exactly as that - someone elses opinions.

But I don't think people would lie about phoning the police, and them not turning up for hours, and thats what Foxy was saying.

Everything someone posts is deffinately always their opinion, but I don't think most people would lie about something. They come on here for peoples support, (and thats why so many people come back)
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Basically you should use common sense and take things with as much a pinch of salt as nescessery.

They are peoples opinions being posted and I take them exactly as that - someone elses opinions.

If I told you I had 14 toes would you automatically believe me? Or think, hang on a second....

(after your edit...)
If you showed us a photo of youir problem Azz

If someone posts here they are ill, and going to the hospital, I believe them.
If someone said they have been broken into, phoned the police, and the police didn't turn up for hours, I believe them.
If someone said they had seen a flying cow....now....if they show me a pic
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by rob
Foxy what you have got to remember is that the police dont do crime any more

According to this they do http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...535365,00.html
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Most old people round here hate the bikers... but none of them have had the fear of god put into them because of the sound They're used to it (being home all day as opposed to everyone else being out at work).

If your talking about people out walking then the council needs to be notified, to prevent the bikes from gaining access to the paths (thats what they had round here - those bike gate things).
The council did put those type of gates up but the yobs on there bikes soon managed to remove them

and if you could sit in my garden on a sunny day you'll soon get sick of those deminted pigging wasps
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

Originally Posted by Hevvur
But I don't think people would lie about phoning the police, and them not turning up for hours, and thats what Foxy was saying.

Everything someone posts is deffinately always their opinion, but I don't think most people would lie about something. They come on here for peoples support, (and thats why so many people come back)
I'm not saying anyone would lie either.

But I'm old enough and ugly enough to know that sometimes what we say is not exactly how it happened. We dramatise things, sensationalise things, emotionalise things, sometimes without knowing. Sometimes the story gets a little distorted.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by crazycockers
According to this they do http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...535365,00.html

Thats brilliant CC - the Police are tea leaves
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

The police round here do nothing about the motor bikes and quad bikes racing round parks and streets, or joyriders. But they were here in minutes when a man was beating up his girlfriend in the street. They must have so many calls to answer and I know I would much rather they ignored the bikes and came to help that woman.

As for the sign it is only meant as a joke but it is offensive and I don't think she should keep it up, especially if someone has complained.
We get loads of door to door people round here but they are easy to spot and we just don't answer the door I find a big dog bark usually sends them on there way anyway
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 03:01 PM

But I'm old enough and ugly enough to know that sometimes what we say is not exactly how it happened. We dramatise things, sensationalise things, emotionalise things, sometimes without knowing. Sometimes the story gets a little distorted.
Yes sometimes it does - but a lot of the time it doesn't

ps - Azz you're not a Policeman are you
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Only once had a JW knock my door - he was polite even if a little persistant, but I do appreciate where some of you are coming from as it is a test of assertiveness saying 'No thanks' (sometimes 'No thanks. No thanks, really no thank you! :smt101 )

I was thinking more along the lines of JWs who don't partake in any of that - why do they have to be tarred with the same brush? As usual its the innocent ones it effects most.
I think they all do partake in the door-to-door recruitment Azz, they believe it to be a crucial part of their calling

Sadly we live in a society where we have to be extra careful about the jokes we make. This isn't down to some kind of newly acquired prudishness, it's because there are so many dangerous bigots around us. "Our dogs are fed on Jehova's Witnesses" might sound funny to you, but let's change the slant a bit:

"Our dogs are fed on Jews"
"Our dogs are fed on black people"
"Our dogs are fed on Protestants"
"Our dogs are fed on Catholics"

Still laughing? I really hope not! I'm pleased to say that this kind of thing is a crime, and a serious one. The police have a duty to quell it before it builds into something even more sinister.

It's only a year since a teenage boy was murdered near here, an axe put through his head, for no reason other than the colour of his skin. Hate-crime is a continuum. We can't afford to let any of it pass unchecked.

ps. I'm no great fan of cold-callers either. In fact, the last time I was given one of these "personal invitations" I told them to come back when they had it personally signed by the hand of God
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

And i'm old enough (nearly) to know that newspapers also distort stories!

People do tend to write a little too much when they explain something, but I don't disbelieve anyone on here who's had something happen, and called the police, and the police hasn't responded.
It've seen it happen with my own eyes too.
Page 5 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »