register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pete
Almost a Veteran

30-10-2004, 10:20 AM
like it has already bin said staffs in any colour are the best but there must be a very good reason black /brindles are dominating the ring maybe they have more dogs in there line that are closer to the show standard producing more dogs to standard were the other colours may not ,just A thought not a statement
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2004, 10:35 AM
I think it is plain and simple colour dominance Pete, I dont believe in breeding dogs for looks personally I think physical performance should come first and looks second afterall handsome is as handsome does ,

But I think for the show point of view they breed best to best so all it would are a few black champions to be mated and so on and then you have a higher % of that colouring more pups from these matings do well and as a result more blacks in the show ring, I cant be botehred to go into the whole genetics but there is a great article by Ashstock Kennels (sp?) I think about genetics and the dominance of the black brindles in the show ring its a great article I will try find the link for you, I think you would find if black and tan were accepted in the show ring there would be a huge number of these two.

Listen girls I am not biased okay , I know I have the best specemin you are ever likely to see right at my feet here lol.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Reading this thread I am very glad we don't judge people the way we judge dogs ! I ahev owned all sorts of colours and breeds and crosses they have all been beautiful - it's personality that counts
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2004, 07:42 PM
as you all know i have reds, but my fave is pied like lel said a nice black pied is nice. but i would rather a red pied.

it is a shame that black is dominat in the ring but like Laura said it is a treand that will carry on as black is dominat over most of the other colours so even a black to a red you are more likely to get black/brindle or brinlde.
but saying that we need the black now and again cos there is only so much red to red you can do before you start getting pink eye rims and lips
take Tara she has about 3 black 1 brindle and 1 blue in her 5 gen pedigree so that means there is a lot of red in there and her pigment is not as good as Leo's. so if i do breeder her she will be going back to a brindle (pied)
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2004, 08:06 PM
You are all right

I've read the ashtock article too Laura and agree with it. I think unless there a firm sensible move toward using a good black with a good red you will soon see the brindles making a comeback.

All of Sal's sires are blacks black/brindles but her dams side (will interest you Lel ) G'grandisre on her dam's dam's side is a pied Brajulste Flashy Pied Piper his sire Ch Domino Flashy Lad. and Sal is black.

The reds are numerically small and the "eye" problem is significant too, sadly. Although as you say Bobbie unless you take a red to a black (look at Ashtock breeding) you will never get a good depth of colour in the reds.

I know temprament and health are important. But the variety in colours is what makes it nice, the dominance of Black and the "eye problem" in reds is meanng reds are becoming less available therefore in percentage terms there will alwyas be less reds the n pieds and whites. In that order.

If you think back the first Ch in the breed Ch Gentleman Jim was a pied.

Karen
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2004, 09:57 AM
You know I was saying i hadn't seen a white staff.....guess what I saw today?

He was beautiful, the muscle on him was unbelievable and he was very lean.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Nice arent they Staffy, now I am guessnig you didnt have your camera handy lol.

Shame. Funny thing is though white dogs are the hardest to take pictures off, it is so difficult to see a white dogs muscle tone in pictures for some reason.

Laura
kimbastaff
Dogsey Junior

03-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
Are white ones prone to the skin issues like EBTs?
They are no more prone to skin issues than any other colour.. the only thing you need to watch with them is the ears in the sun... they do need to wear constant sunscreen...

Donna T
kimbastaff
Dogsey Junior

03-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by pete
i prefer the darker staffs and brindlem, but i got told the reason there isnt as many reds is cause there was more of them with the heriditry cataracts, i was told it by a breeder who owns two red staffs dont know how true it is but thats what i waS told
We have heaps of red staffy's in Australia.. this is the first time I've heard of this....

Donna T
kimbastaff
Dogsey Junior

03-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Lel
I know when I was looking for a pup before we got Gus and I mentioned a white to a breeder i was told about this issue- think its due to lack of pigmentation
Being white doesnt mean a lack of pigrment..... most white pups are born with pink eye rims and pink noses and pink feet... over the next couple of weeks the pigment will come.... the eyerims being the slowest to come thru.. and this can take up to 18 months....

Donna
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »