Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Hi Joedee

I'm not here to speak for the entire breed, I have my two dogs, love them to bits because they are mine and that's as far as it goes...

But I find it intresting that you said:

Designer dogs are just that bred for looks & not for any purpose(hence the cutesy oodle dogs) & if serious developers want their breeding program
to be taken seriously then they have to be brutal in taking anything other than the best dogs out of the breeding program & not sell any puppies for breeding(that might mean neutering very early). Then & only then will they be taken seriously & actually develop a healthy new breed
When you own Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (which I will quickly add I have nothing against what so ever) but here is a quote from this link

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cavalier...lesspaniel.htm

Origin:

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is descended from the King Charles Spaniel and other small Toy Spaniels seen in many sixteenth, seventeenth, and eighteenth century paintings. Its breeders were trying to reproduce a toy dog similar to those seen in portraits from the time of England's Charles II, who was said to dote on these small dogs. In the 1920's the American, Roswell Eldridge, offered prize money during a Cruft's Dog Show in London, to any person exhibiting King Charles Spaniels with long noses. He was looking for dogs similar to those appearing in Van Dyck's paintings of King Charles II and his spaniels. By the 1940's these dogs were classified as a separate breed and were given the prefix Cavalier, to differentiate them from their forebears. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was shown in the Toy Group of the AKC beginning in 1996.
Were these dogs not breed for looks or am I mistaken?? Like LS I believe N.I.D's aswell as Ut's were bred for more than just looks, temprament, healthly build etc etc...and not just 'look'...but I do find it odd when people try to sit on the moral high ground regarding some 'newer' breeds when they are no different or worse than the creation of so many of our older breeds??

It's really good that you have your opinions Joedee and I sincerly mean that and none of them offend me as I don't take personally what is said regarding the 'breed' in general... that's not my place, I'm just an individual who loves my individual dogs I think it's healthy for people to ask lots of questions

That particular point you made just made my cogs turn enough to share...lol...Hope you don't mind
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK

Designer dogs are just that bred for looks & not for any purpose(hence the cutesy oodle dogs) & if serious developers want their breeding program
to be taken seriously then they have to be brutal in taking anything other than the best dogs out of the breeding program & not sell any puppies for breeding(that might mean neutering very early). Then & only then will they be taken seriously & actually develop a healthy new breed
Oh dear, here we go again

Nothing against you Jodee and you are entitled to your opinion, but having a dog that's a so called 'designer breed' this makes my feathers ruffle slightly.
Ute's and N.I's are bred for health and temperament first and formost. The Utonagan society only breed from dogs that have checkable pedigrees and have had all the relevant health screens, including H.D.

I have a GSD that hasn't got a checkable pedigree or health screens, and at 5, he's already showing signs of H.D
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Borderdawn,....not sure if your comment was aimed at me but i got a staffy because we went to the RSPCA saw her and her big brown eyes and the way she licked my hands through the bars and i knew my heart would break if we couldnt have her with us i didnt care what breed she was or if she was mongrel what ever you may refere to them as...once we were told to wait 8 days i researched everything about SBT to prepare....
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2005, 03:39 PM
i can't help but think this topic and others in the past are just snobbery in the dog world.
its a bit like the kc registered v's non registered or pedigree v's mongrel what different does it make as long as the owners love them what breed etc they are or are not as the case maybe.
every owner should want the same thing a happy,social,healthy dog nothing more or less.
if a person looked down on my breed just an example, which seems to be happening more and more lately just because it wasn't a dog of their taste i will be honest it would get my back up, we love them for what they are dogs for any one to look down on any breed in mho are not true dog lovers.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by leo
i can't help but think this topic and others in the past are just snobbery in the dog world.
its a bit like the kc registered v's non registered or pedigree v's mongrel what different does it make as long as the owners love them what breed etc they are or are not as the case maybe.
every owner should want the same thing a happy,social,healthy dog nothing more or less.
if a person looked down on my breed just an example, which seems to be happening more and more lately just because it wasn't a dog of their taste i will be honest it would get my back up, we love them for what they are dogs for any one to look down on any breed in mho are not true dog lovers.
I think some people are actually dog 'racist'!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2005, 03:48 PM
well if thats the case i think its time to get a life.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 03:52 PM
I'll be honest, I have a preference for GSDs. I've owned several breeds of dogs over the years, including a cross, but have always gone back to GSDs. I still love other breeds though. It's the individual dogs character that attracts me, not necassarily the breed that they are.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by leo
well if thats the case i think its time to get a life.
In that case make mine a dogs life, I want to come back as my dog its far easier
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2005, 03:58 PM
yep as long as i get owners that love me what a life !
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 04:48 PM
For a start Cavaliers are how the original Blenheim spaniels looked like They are not a designer breed The Blenheim spaniels were dual purpose companion & working dogs that were crossed with Pugs by the Victorians to get the flat faced KCS. My dogs can & do hunt(not woodcock though as there aren't any here, but the hunt & kill mice one of their jobs that John Churchill & his wife bred them to do So please before reading misinformation & quoting it about Cavaliers get all the information on them(not all is on the net BTW)the Charlie fanciers would not allow the Cavaliers to have the name KCS & so the Cavalier breeders opted for the prefix Cavalier(quite appropriate as of course the the two King Charles were always accompanied by their Spaniels & were the Cavalier Kings).There were two distinct breeds The Royal Spaniels & the Blenheim Spaniels & because of the Churchills close relationship with the Royal Family of the times the two breeds were interbred to produce a better working dog ! Just because there's information on the net doesn't make it so

I have been sent a copy of the bitches pedigree by her owner & I am not at liberty to disclose the contents to anyone as to the breeder sorry not from Devon & the bitch was as I said 8 weeks old when obtained. The owner had researched the pedigree & obtained the hip scores which are of course in the public domain. It is noticable that there are unscored dogs in the pedigree

I've sent him your message if he wants to contact you I'm sure he will there's nothing I can do to make him though.

I did not say they were designer dogs but that designers dogs are bred simply for the cutesy name & looks

he got HD at the age of 8
I'm confused your GSD developed HD at 8 years of age after being HD free before ? never heard that one before but have heard of lots of HD free or low scoring dogs developing DM which you will know has nothing to do with the hips at the same age. My BC with HD was born with it & it was picked up at his hip scoring as he was never lame etc & had a score of 34:34=68 so it wasn't mild HD

I do notice that owners & fans of developer breeds(as opposed to designer dogs)are somewhat more responsible but sadly others do jump on the bandwagon to make money. When breeds like the LeonBerger(guard dogs)were developed there was a need for guards more so than today & there breeding was strictly(still is in their homeland)controlled. Here in the UK you can buy two dogs one of each sex & breed away with no restrictions especially if the are not KC reg

The GDB did breed a couple of lab x poodle litters but found that the experiement for an allergy free dog was a failure & now the designer breeders cross poodles with any breed to produce their oodle dogs with false claims that they do not produce allergies.
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »