View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mark meek
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-10-2006, 06:50 PM
you dont half have some luck. you did the right thing. glad you and shiloh are ok, glad you are taking it all the way to it may stop somebody else having to go through it.
have some good luck from now on
mark
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear this Jen, what an awful do I certainly would have let mine off the lead - fight or flee, they need to have the choice - well done for keeping your head, glad that Shiloh is OK
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2006, 06:57 PM
thank you mark i hope so i couldnt stand by and see shiloh get hurt he had every right to defend himself this dog just kept coming and coming i couldn stop what he was doing even shouting and screaming at the bloody thing didnt stop him he wanted to get to shiloh and he did but shiloh had to defend himself im sorry if some think ive done wrong by letting him of but i am a responsible owner i love my dogs to bits they are my life but he was in danger and i could not protect him he is never let of lead in a public or fields but i had no choice but to help my boy out
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mirkawolf View Post
I believe it must have been very scary experience, but I do not think, that you did the right thing, Bluemerle Lover.
By unleashing your dog, you could easily get her into big trouble and if she was not so amazingly brave, the rottweiler could have killed her. Or seriously hurt her.

No, I believe you should have stand out and defend your dog yourself. You are the leader of the pack, you are responsible for your dog and you should make sure, she is safe.

You´d be suprised, how many dogs would quickly back off, if they see that to get to your dog, they have first to get over you. Or, to say it different way, that the dog has to fight both you and your dog!

I had the awfull experience to have my dogs attacked several times by the same staffordshire dog. First time, he just ran on them and managed to bite one, before could even blink one eye. And they were on the leash next to me!

Next time, I knew the dog and what I should do. I pulled my dogs behind me (and believe me, it is hard to pull behind your back two dogs, each 34 kg) and yelled at the dog, just when I saw him charging. When it did not stop him, I put leashes of both my dogs in one hand, quickly catched a strong club and smashed the charging staff right into his head. That stopped him and amazingly, only after this his owner finally arrived! And trust me, she did not dare to say a word to me, how angry I was. After this, we had some more troubles with this dog, but he was much less brave.

It happens often, that when I go with my dogs, there comes a dog charging at us, growling and barking.. I always do the same thing, pull my dogs behind me, look the dog in his eyes and yell at him to get lost. And trust me, all sizes of dogs, from poodles to labradors and GSD´s, they all know better, than to try to attack my dogs over me. (Just for your info, I measure about 160 cm, have 56 kg and I am woman).

I understand that you were scared, but if you love your dog, you don´t let him stand alone in fight. You are his leader, you provide him with food, shelter and you must protect him.
Jenn loves her dogs more than anything in the world and she did what she thought best at that moment in time and she must have been absolutely terrified so please don't tell her that she did the wrong thing because I don't think there is ever a right thing to do - you can't guarantee that the dog wouldn't have attacked her as well as Shiloh - nobody knows. I know Jenn would give her life for her dogs because she loves them so much.
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Well said Foxy it is a dangerous gamble considering the dog concerned had already snapped at other dogs (enough to warrant to owner putting a muzzle on), to risk injury to both owner and dog at least given the option of flight Shiloh was free to move away.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2006, 07:25 PM
I haven't read all the replies- just had to send you and Shiloh a big (((HUG))) Jen. XX
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2006, 07:30 PM
I'd of done exactly the same thing Jen if it was any of mine.

Good for Shilo standing his ground. The bloody owner of the other dog needs a savage beating if you want my opinion It's bad enough that Rotts have the reputation that they do, without some lunatic letting an obviously dog aggressive dog of lead

Originally Posted by Mirkawolf

I believe it must have been very scary experience, but I do not think, that you did the right thing, Bluemerle Lover.
By unleashing your dog, you could easily get her into big trouble and if she was not so amazingly brave, the rottweiler could have killed her. Or seriously hurt her.

No, I believe you should have stand out and defend your dog yourself. You are the leader of the pack, you are responsible for your dog and you should make sure, she is safe.

Youīd be suprised, how many dogs would quickly back off, if they see that to get to your dog, they have first to get over you. Or, to say it different way, that the dog has to fight both you and your dog!

I had the awfull experience to have my dogs attacked several times by the same staffordshire dog. First time, he just ran on them and managed to bite one, before could even blink one eye. And they were on the leash next to me!

Next time, I knew the dog and what I should do. I pulled my dogs behind me (and believe me, it is hard to pull behind your back two dogs, each 34 kg) and yelled at the dog, just when I saw him charging. When it did not stop him, I put leashes of both my dogs in one hand, quickly catched a strong club and smashed the charging staff right into his head. That stopped him and amazingly, only after this his owner finally arrived! And trust me, she did not dare to say a word to me, how angry I was. After this, we had some more troubles with this dog, but he was much less brave.

It happens often, that when I go with my dogs, there comes a dog charging at us, growling and barking.. I always do the same thing, pull my dogs behind me, look the dog in his eyes and yell at him to get lost. And trust me, all sizes of dogs, from poodles to labradors and GSDīs, they all know better, than to try to attack my dogs over me. (Just for your info, I measure about 160 cm, have 56 kg and I am woman).

I understand that you were scared, but if you love your dog, you donīt let him stand alone in fight. You are his leader, you provide him with food, shelter and you must protect him.
Just how many people are gonna stand up against something as big and powerful as a adult Rottie? Most adult HUMAN males can be overcome by one. These dogs are NOWHERE near anything like a staff/lab/GSD. I can pull most of these breeds off, but I would think twice about a Rott.

Jen adores her dogs and would give her life down for them. To already know that this dog has shown aggression towards others makes your statement a huge gamble, one that could have serious consequences. As Mutthouse has posted, Shilo had to choice of fight or flight. Keeping him on a leash, or going between them could risk serious injury.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2006, 07:31 PM
My god jen, glad he's ok , poor lad , wish folks would be proper dog owners & not let them roam & go for other dogs, give shiloh loads of hugs & kisses from me & ice.
Tom
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-10-2006, 07:31 PM
awww this is awful, you did the right thing tho imo

hugs xxxxxxxx
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I don't blame you Jen, I would have let my dogs off too! Tara was attacked by three collies and they circled us, trying to grab her throat, she obviously wanted to defend me, so I let her have a go, and then I had to push one of the dogs off Tara whilst she dealt with the others, I used my foot as I thought my hand would get eaten!

The dog's owner appeared, and had a go at me for pushing his dogs with my foot, so i had a go at him telling him to keep his dogs on a lead if they're going to attack other dogs!

You're right with what you did, I hope your dog is ok!

Take care, Lorna.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >