Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by beth15478 View Post
Would you recommend a particular puppy food?

Stick with what the breeder uses if the pup is doing well on it.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Would you recommend a particular puppy food?
For now I'd stick with what the breeder used but if you want to change, you should do it gradually. As Maxine says, if the pup is doing well and you're all happy that's great.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Yes, that is what I said in the first response to your original question.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Yes, that is what I said in the first response to your original question.
Indeed you did . But what a shame you felt the need to pepper your response with unwarranted antagonistic comments towards members of this forum, together with other - bad - advice.
beth15478
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Alfie has arrived!!! He is so cute. He's crying a little but then I suppose that is to be expected. He's been out in the garden chasing leaves. He's had a drink but so far has not eaten, his breeder said he's not eaten anything today. I tempted him into his crate with a small piece of chicken and sat with him whilst he fell asleep. Have put the radio on low for him and I'm hoping he'll be hungry when he wakes up.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Alfie has arrived!!! He is so cute. He's crying a little but then I suppose that is to be expected. He's been out in the garden chasing leaves. He's had a drink but so far has not eaten, his breeder said he's not eaten anything today. I tempted him into his crate with a small piece of chicken and sat with him whilst he fell asleep. Have put the radio on low for him and I'm hoping he'll be hungry when he wakes up.
Good luck Beth Alfie looks lovely....
beth15478
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Well I think Aflie's first night went well. He doesn't like his crate at the moment. I've made it as comfortable as possible, have used one of our old pillows and covered it with his blanket and he's got a nice teddy in there too. He is choosing to go inbetween the kitchen cupboards (where the dishwasher would go) so I have put a pillow and a blanket in there too so he is fast asleep in there at the moment.

He slept on his pillow next to the sofa last night. He did really well. A few times I woke to him whining and licking my face so I took him straight outside and he did go. We have had a few accidents but they were all my fault as I see the signs quick enough.

He still isn't eating very much but he did have a nibble last night. I bent over his feed bowl and pretended to eat and he came and joined me so all in all I think we're doing ok.

Going to read up a bit about crate training now whilst he's asleep and see if I can get him comfortable with sleeping in there.

Thankyou for everyone's help. You've all been a godsend. x
Meg
Supervisor

21-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Going to read up a bit about crate training now whilst he's asleep and see if I can get him comfortable with sleeping in there.

Thankyou for everyone's help. You've all been a godsend. x
Hi Beth have you read this article by Shadowboxer re crates...
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=15552
.. also try hiding special treats in the crate, bits of chicken or cheese and you could feed Alfie in there (with the door open ) all this will help him to associate it with good things . I also play with the puppy when it is in the crate by dropping treats/pushing a toy through the bars .

It sounds like you are off to a good start
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Aw, I'm so glad that you had a good night. And he went outside too!
Meg
Supervisor

22-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Be prepared for a lot of bad advice from people with little or no experience or training. .
Do you want to believe an ordinary dog owner or a team of professionals that has been breeding 300-400 large breed puppies a year and following most of them through their whole life? I doubt Labrodork has 0.1% of the experience the dog guide school I raise puppies for does. At 12 weeks, they are almost old enough to cut back to 2 meals.
I have to say Labman IMO some of the worst advice I have ever seen given on this forum has come from yourself .

In addition to your assertion that it is the correct thing to do to keep puppies shut in crates for long periods without water and bedding on wire mesh and feeding them too few meals ,I have just noticed this bit of advice you gave in another thread....
Originally Posted by Labman
You need to act like you are top dog. You can learn to play the role of top dog ...
''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles.
The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...30#post1800330
It appears your team of professionals and those who wrote your manual don't know the simplest of things like how to pick up a puppy correctly. I guess being top dog and forcing puppies into submission takes precedence over everything else .

You never ever pick up a puppy around its middle let alone hold it there for 15 seconds and repeat , a puppy should always be lifted with an arm under the front legs and a hand under its bottom to supports its body weight. Picking a puppy incorrectly can make it vomit but much worse you can damage its internal organs.
It is also important to pick a puppy up correctly or it may become fearful of being picked up and this can lead to agression.
Forcing a puppy to submit to being held can make him fearfully of humans and difficult to train. How can you expect a puppy to learn to trust someone who forces it into submission. The puppy is more likely to learn to fear than to trust.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >