Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
It seems there are a lot of threads leading to this at the moment, so better to have it one place.

Do you think Pit Bull Terriers (The ones that are banned in the UK and many other places) are dangerous? IF SO SAY WHY.

Do you think they are not dangerous? IF SO SAY WHY.

Before getting involved in the discussion, please make sure your first post in this thread makes your position clear on the topic.

ONLY take part in this discussion if you are willing to provide reasons to back up your views, we don't want any empty comments, but a proper discussion.
no. or at least, no more than any other breed.

why? because you just need to look at the APBTs in america that work as therapy or assistance dogs etc. so many are loving family pets, its the media who portrays them as not being loving family pets. also, human aggression was specifically bred out of the breed. so why would they be any more dangerous than any other breed? those stupid myths about them having a locking jaw and the ability to just 'turn', are also a load of bull.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Any dog has the potential to be dangerous. I was savaged by a labrador when I was 7 leaving me with 32 stitches in my face and permanent scarring. But labs are not seen as a "dangerous" breed.
Pit Bulls are extremely strong and muscular with powerful jaws so when one of them bites, a lot of damage is done. That's not to say they are not safe when handled in the right way. There are dogs of all breeds who don't like kids, cats, smaller dogs etc but to tar the whole breed with the same brush is ridiculous.
I don't feel wary of Pit Bulls or any other breed usually except when I'm with my 5 dogs because you never know if they feel threatened or not by a pack. But that is me being cautious and responsible.
A lot of Pit Bulls are owned by yobs who think it's a status symbol to have such a dog but we mustn't forget all the good owners who have them because they love them and are responsible.
So yes, pit bulls can be dangerous but so too can any other dog.
I personally think pit bulls are gorgeous!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
A lot of Pit Bulls are owned by yobs who think it's a status symbol to have such a dog but we mustn't forget all the good owners who have them because they love them and are responsible.
So yes, pit bulls can be dangerous but so too can any other dog.
I personally think pit bulls are gorgeous!!
well said, and i think they are gorgeous too such beautiful dogs and one of my favourites.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I think that's an important point. A lot of yobs own pit bulls. But there are a lot of good folks who do too. I wish I could find the page with the statistics of USA pit bulls who had bit. The percentage of pit bulls who had bit compared to the whole population of pit bulls was incredibly small.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Who's this "we"?

The 'type' dogs that I have encountered have been of unfailing good temperament.

Here's Bishop (again)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egTNyP_Cfbk

The majority of 'type' dogs - the vast, overwhelming majority - are bred from pet stock. They are not game bred.

Oh dear you do like to jump straight in , dont you!!!!

The WE, as you will know very well ,is the vast majority of the general public, who will see an ilegal breed as just that an ilegal breed. Not to mention the law, (be it an ass or not) so I guess you can count them in the collective "we"

Bred from ilegal pet stock, and unless there is a register of responsible breeders of these dogs, then the "pet stock" will be from dubious breeders....unless of cause you know of some responsible pit bull breeders here in the UK!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
excellent excellent post! could not agree more!

so just coz we have idiots here that breed irresponsibly and dont take care what dogs they are breeding from, that makes the breed dangerous??

you get that with many breeds, SBTs, rotties even Boxers... so are those breeds dangerous just coz of some idiots who breed them?? i dont think so.

Tell me were I said they were dangerous, I said they are ilegal, and will be bred by dubious breeders!!!!!!

Ofcause you get bad breeding in ALL breeds..yes even my own but the difference between a LEGAL breed and an ILEGAL one , is that you can look for a legal breed out in the open,and check lines and temperaments..... you cant do they with an ILEGL breed,
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Oh dear you do like to jump straight in , dont you!!!!
Open forum. If you want a private conversation this is the wrong place.

The WE, as you will know very well ,is the vast majority of the general public, who will see an ilegal breed as just that an ilegal breed. Not to mention the law, (be it an ass or not) so I guess you can count them in the collective "we"
I am part of the general public and I don't share the view you have apportioned. Further I would query the source of your "vast majority" claim. And when it comes to that portion of the public that actually know what they are talking about in regard to pit bulls I would dispute your claim. If the 'we' refers to those who don't know anything about pit bulls and don't know what they are talking about then you may be correct but I think you should make that clear.

Bred from ilegal pet stock,
A 'type' dog can be bred from perfectly legal stock.

For the rest, most owners who face prosecution do not believe or realise that their dog is of 'type'. By and large the breeders are of similar dubiousness as the majority of breeders in the majority of breeds.

The implication of your argument is that pit bull type dogs in the UK will be of poor temperament due to breeding. This is belied by the fact that in 95% of cases of seized dogs, where the owner stands by his dog, the dog is subsequently placed onto the exemption register - something that cannot happen if the dog's temperament is considered a risk.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
I think the last is the important point. Some of these dogs WERE bred to fight. But yet they're now living in homes with people. Some of the dogs recently rescued from the Michael Vick ring (I'm sure you've heard about that over there?) are therapy dogs, going into nursing homes, hospices, children's hospitals and the like to cheer up ill patients. The reality in dog fighting rings is that MANY of those dogs are killed because they don't have the will to fight. Only a small handful do and so the rest are used as bait or outright killed.
This is a recent picture of some of Vick's dogs. Dogs intentionally bred to fight.

liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 06:28 PM
awww yeh i've seen these brave dogs on the tv at dogtown.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Open forum. If you want a private conversation this is the wrong place.

Agree, but just as you jump down my throat, I can retaliate back

I am part of the general public and I don't share the view you have apportioned.

but you are part of the general public who has dealing or seems to be in the know regarding the breed, you can not gage the GP by such forums as these, where most people are dog savvy..I am also part of the GP, and meet many many dog savvy and not so dog savvy people, with many a different opinion of such dogs.

Further I would query the source of your "vast majority" claim. And when it comes to that portion of the public that actually know what they are talking about in regard to pit bulls I would dispute your claim.

thats fine, dispute away, you are allowed to voice what you know and hear, so am I , I dont dispute your source of info , so dont dispute mine.

If the 'we' refers to those who don't know anything about pit bulls and don't know what they are talking about then you may be correct but I think you should make that clear.

The vast majority of the GP population do not frequent dog forums, and yes much of my "feed back" comes from those members of the public that see an ilegal breed for what it is, ilegal!!

A 'type' dog can be bred from perfectly legal stock.

True, but the sad fact is , more often or not, they get seized as ilegal, or is that another misconception

For the rest, most owners who face prosecution do not believe or realise that their dog is of 'type'. By and large the breeders are of similar dubiousness as the majority of breeders in the majority of breeds.

IF YOU SAY SO!!!! but there is one fact that the majority of iffy breeders set them apart form those who breed pit bulls, one is legal, the other is not

The implication of your argument is that pit bull type dogs in the UK will be of poor temperament due to breeding.

I said , pit bulls are most likely to be bred by dubious people, for dubious reasons...and like other over populated breeds that have been bred by dubious breeders, temperaments seem to suffer greatly, you only have to look at the Staffie and Labs to see poor temperaments in overly populated breeds, bred correctly and you cannot have better dogs...

As you seem to know otherwise, I guess you must know people who are breeding ilegal pitbulls!!

This is belied by the fact that in 95% of cases of seized dogs, where the owner stands by his dog, the dog is subsequently placed onto the exemption register - something that cannot happen if the dog's temperament is considered a risk.

But if the law was policed correctly, we would not have to see this exemption register , nor so many dogs being siezed and destroyed.
DextersMum
New Member!
Female 

12-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi

I dont know anyone with a pitbull and to be honest I would probably struggle to point one out.

As previously pointed out in another reply, pitbulls along with other breeds of this type are potentially more dangerous due to the strength of their jaws, lets face it they were 'created' as fighting dogs.

Personally though I would never leave any dog no matter what the breed with a child as I believe any dog can turn unexpectedly, so on that basis, no I dont believe pitbulls should be banned.

Is there a case for the return of dog registration?
Page 49 of 132 « First < 39 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 59 99 > Last »