Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
So the dog is putting the cat in its place? That is what you think dogs are doing when they want to chase cats? or kill them?
You are putting words in my mouth. I quoted a paragraph from the link - its not what I think, its what is printed on the website, I merely picked it out as it mentioned cats!

I cant conceive why any dog would want to kill a cat, mine certainly dont and I never had one that did, nor did I ever know one that did

I will say one thing, B. terriers were bred for hunting - in the sense they would have a keen prey drive, yet Dawn has trained hers to accept cats + they co-exist quite happily

I think it is better to agree to disagree.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well if we take what you are saying, Im surprised any Cats are managing t survive in homes where dogs are at all!

Dunno what went on here:

Perhaps I just have thick Cats! Cos the dog sure knows when her "instincts" come into play, and its NOT in the house where our pets live.
I love your cream tabby! Believe it or not Tim is a cream tabby too, he has got slightly darker as he got older but not much. I blame the iPhone for making him appear ginger. You should post more photos of your cats on dogsey's sister site.

Heres the boy in his true colours

TalitiaJaxleigh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2011, 01:37 AM
I dont post on here much but thought I would give my opinion here as this thread involves cats .

I have an 8 month old kitten and I was raised with a cat (I do not have a dog) Sookie is an indoor kitty and if she escaped and was killed by a dog in the dogs garden I'm pretty sure that although I would be distraught I would blame myself and not the dog/dog owner. If the dog had come into my garden though my feelings would probably be very different. I keep Soo inside so that I can keep her safe. I also know what a pain some free roaming cats can be, my next door neighbour's cats have cost me about £80 damage in my garden, have got into my house on many occasions, thrown up on my living room floor and gone to the toilet in my sons room. I have mentioned this to my neighbours but they are not bothered even though they are always the first ones to complain about the dogs in the neighbourhood, they do not seem to think it goes both ways. So while I do not blame the cats themselves for doing what is natural I do wish that some cat owners would take more responsibility.

On the other hand I know of someone that encourages his dogs to chase cats and freely admits that he would be happy for his dogs to kill any cat they come across and I think that is disgusting (not that I think anyone on here would do this )

On the subject of cats harming people my friends brother got cat scratch fever(/disease?) from his cat. Sookie will also chase my 18mnth old son if he suddenly runs across the living room and has grabbed him round the neck (I would guess this is some sort of prey behaviour/play although I have not studied cat behaviour so not certain). I am trying to stop her doing this but it is lucky she is so tiny, it would definitely have been dangerous if she was the size of a dog.

Just thought I'd add my piece as I can see points on both sides.

(ps. sorry to the people I didnt answer before christmas, I have been feeling under the weather and only recently got back on the internet)

Gem
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I love your cream tabby! Believe it or not Tim is a cream tabby too, he has got slightly darker as he got older but not much. I blame the iPhone for making him appear ginger. You should post more photos of your cats on dogsey's sister site.

Heres the boy in his true colours

Oh yes I can see he is cream now, both beauties.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by TalitiaJaxleigh View Post
I dont post on here much but thought I would give my opinion here as this thread involves cats .

I have an 8 month old kitten and I was raised with a cat (I do not have a dog) Sookie is an indoor kitty and if she escaped and was killed by a dog in the dogs garden I'm pretty sure that although I would be distraught I would blame myself and not the dog/dog owner. If the dog had come into my garden though my feelings would probably be very different. I keep Soo inside so that I can keep her safe. I also know what a pain some free roaming cats can be, my next door neighbour's cats have cost me about £80 damage in my garden, have got into my house on many occasions, thrown up on my living room floor and gone to the toilet in my sons room. I have mentioned this to my neighbours but they are not bothered even though they are always the first ones to complain about the dogs in the neighbourhood, they do not seem to think it goes both ways. So while I do not blame the cats themselves for doing what is natural I do wish that some cat owners would take more responsibility.

On the other hand I know of someone that encourages his dogs to chase cats and freely admits that he would be happy for his dogs to kill any cat they come across and I think that is disgusting (not that I think anyone on here would do this )

On the subject of cats harming people my friends brother got cat scratch fever(/disease?) from his cat. Sookie will also chase my 18mnth old son if he suddenly runs across the living room and has grabbed him round the neck (I would guess this is some sort of prey behaviour/play although I have not studied cat behaviour so not certain). I am trying to stop her doing this but it is lucky she is so tiny, it would definitely have been dangerous if she was the size of a dog.

Just thought I'd add my piece as I can see points on both sides.

(ps. sorry to the people I didnt answer before christmas, I have been feeling under the weather and only recently got back on the internet)

Gem
ANY bite from an animal should be treated, if left then really its your own fault if they go bad.

I think your kitten sounds bored. By chasing she is just doing what Cats do, they chase things that move quickly, but if you did a lot of games with her, her energy would be expelled elsewhere. Cant say Ive ever heard of one doing what you say though. Are you sure its not ginger and black striped and rather larger for her age???
vilmusius
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:07 AM
I started to think, that my little terrier is not normal. He haven't killed an animal in two years of his live. And I hope it will stay that way! Yes, he does have chasing instinct. But he chases a ball or another dog when playing.
I am like BD, if he did kill another dog in teh house, I would have him PTS. You can never be sure why the dog did that, therefore you can never ever trust that dog again. It is possible to manage with muzzles, cages etc., but wouldn't be fair on the dog, or other animal in the house.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:25 AM
If one of my dogs killed an other animal that lived in this house I would be gutted.

I doubt I would have the dog put to sleep based on that one action.

I have six terriers and a cat in my home, they all get along very well with each other and only have the occasional hand bags at ten paces. Thats when I am present in the house.

When I am not in the house they are all separated, even the two oldies who have never even had the smallest fall out in 9 or 10 years.
Three of my terrier are Staffords and the general advice is to never leave them alone together as they don't do submit when challenged.

So the chances are that my dogs are unlikely to kill each other.
We must never forget they are dogs and not humans with the human emotions.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:46 AM
e free roaming cats can be, my next door neighbour's cats have cost me about £80 damage in my garden, have got into my house on many occasions, thrown up on my living room floor and gone to the toilet in my sons room. I have mentioned this to my neighbours but they are not bothered even though they are always the first ones to complain about the dogs in the neighbourhood, they do not seem to think it goes both ways. So while I do not blame the cats themselves for doing what is natural I do wish that some cat owners would take more responsibility.

How are the cats getting into your
house? I am surrounded by cats on either side of us & none have ever got into our house. I would be worried if other cats have access so easily to your house, then your little house cat would be able to get outside, which you dont want her to do.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
If one of my dogs killed an other animal that lived in this house I would be gutted.

I doubt I would have the dog put to sleep based on that one action.

I have six terriers and a cat in my home, they all get along very well with each other and only have the occasional hand bags at ten paces. Thats when I am present in the house.

When I am not in the house they are all separated, even the two oldies who have never even had the smallest fall out in 9 or 10 years.
Three of my terrier are Staffords and the general advice is to never leave them alone together as they don't do submit when challenged.

So the chances are that my dogs are unlikely to kill each other.
We must never forget they are dogs and not humans with the human emotions.
Excellent post
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I understand what you are saying, the key to your problem is the Cat appears to see the dogs as a threat. I used a cage to begin with as I said, the cat couldnt "run" the chase instinct could not be triggered in that environment, both the cat and the dog were safe. The cat was confident yes, but Im pretty sure he would have run if the dogs were too nosey, pokey or "in his face" they werent though, they were used to cats.

Im not saying my dogs would give chase to other peoples cats, they would, but strangely they do not appear bothered by the cats in the cattery at work, regardless of how hissy they are if dogs are reasonably close. (cant get up to them though) I dont doubt that a cat swipe would be met with reaction by the dog, I guess its the severity of the dogs reaction that will dictate the relationship, becuase the whole chase thing will kick off again if the dog is too hard! Not an exact science.
Good post Dawn - and your dogs are a credit to you and your good training of them, especially bearing in mind the breed that they are (I don't know any terriers that won't give a cat a run for it's money given half a chance!).

I think half the problem we have is that we are not bothered too much that the dogs chase Winkle if and when they spot her in the garden. As far as I am concerned, it keeps Winkle on her toes, and distracts her from killing birds, something which I hate. So half the blame lies at the humans' door in our case I expect!
Page 48 of 56 « First < 38 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 > Last »