Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
There you go, you can't buy Iams at Crufts but you can buy Eukanuba, as I said !!
Isn't it the same food made by the same company?

rune
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge
What I meant was the purpose behind winning these shows is to command high prices for stud fees and pups from the winning breeder's bloodline
Pidge I think that may be a bit of a misconception
Chloe for example whose breeders show was sired by an international Champion who came from the USA. Her dam is also impeccably bred from one of the two oldest established bloodlines in the UK with 50 years of Champion dogs behind her .

Chloe, a beautifully bred dog from health tested parents cost me less than I could have paid from a dubiously bred none health tested dog advertised in the press.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Pidge I think that may be a bit of a misconception
Chloe for example whose breeders show was sired by an international Champion who came from the USA. Her dam is also impeccably bred from one of the two oldest established bloodlines in the UK with 50 years of Champion dogs behind her .

Chloe, a beautifully bred dog from health tested parents cost me less than I could have paid from a dubiously bred none health tested dog advertised in the press.
Thanks Mini, that's interesting stuff.

So, what is the point of Crufts then if it isn't to make money?
Meg
Supervisor

28-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Thanks Mini, that's interesting stuff.

So, what is the point of Crufts then if it isn't to make money?
...see my post above ...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...13#post2159613
..about showing in general .
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Isn't it the same food made by the same company?

rune
No its different food, Iams is cheaper and can be bought at supermarkets. Eukanuba is a lot more expensive ( same as proplan, science plan etc) and can only be purchased at Dog shows or Pet shops. Same with pedigree they own JWB and RC and Purina own Bakers, Proplan and Beta so as you can see the products are completly different.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Still owned by P&G though.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Still owned by P&G though.
So's Charmin Toilet rolls and Kandoo and there not sold at Crufts either.
Meg
Supervisor

28-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge
What I meant was the purpose behind winning these shows is to command high prices for stud fees and pups from the winning breeder's bloodline
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
...see my post above ...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...13#post2159613
..about showing in general .
post 454 continued....
Crufts is different from the other Championship shows in that it is the showpiece of and organised by the KC, the other Championship shows are equally important to many of those who show dogs, they are run under KC rules but by various Canine Societies.
To most show goers Crufts isn't more important that other Championship Shows , just more publicised and bigger. To make up a Champion you need three challenge certificates from three different judges at three shows so theoretically there isn't such a thing as a Crufts Champion.

I used to work for two international show judges, one was the Secretary of a Championship show so in effect ran it from the pre show ball to the three days of the show itself, I can't begin to tell you how much work was involved .During the show our house was filled with Judges from all over the world with a wealth of knowledge about dogs. It must have cost my employers a great deal of money in entertaining alone but that was fine, it was their hobby and helped the breeds in general .

Our kennel was full of top winning dogs , most were Champions. Our puppies and stud fees were a reasonably price (we rarely bred) but we had a long waiting list for puppies, we were very selective in our choice of owners and only the best bitches got to use our stud dogs. Some of our dogs went to various parts of the world to found new kennels. We also taught people about the breed and how to trim their dogs and we mentored them at shows, all this included in the purchase of their puppy for the good of the breed.

The very last thing on anyones mind was making money, it must have cost thousands to fund this hobby.

I haven't been to a show in years although I live near Three Counties show ground. I went to my first Championship (Leeds 1965) in the back of a van with four Airedales.I learnt so much from shows and the people who attended them and took the time to teach me about dogs with no interest at all in 'high prices'
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=Minihaha;2159898]post 454 continued....
Crufts is different from the other Championship shows in that it is the showpiece of and organised by the KC, the other Championship shows are equally important to many of those who show dogs, they are run under KC rules but by various Canine Societies.
To most show goers Crufts isn't more important that other Championship Shows , just more publicised and bigger. To make up a Champion you need three challenge certificates from three different judges at three shows so theoretically there isn't such a thing as a Crufts Champion.

I used to work for two international show judges, one was the Secretary of a Championship show so in effect ran it from the pre show ball to the three days of the show itself, I can't begin to tell you how much work was involved .During the show our house was filled with Judges from all over the world with a wealth of knowledge about dogs. It must have cost my employers a great deal of money in entertaining alone but that was fine, it was their hobby .

Our kennel was full of top winning dogs , most were Champions. Our puppies and stud fees were reasonable but we had a long waiting list for puppies and were very selective in our choice of owners and only the best bitches got to use our stud dogs. Some of our dogs went to various parts of the world to found new kennels. We also taught people about the breed and how to trim their dogs and we mentored them at shows, all this included in the purchase of their puppy for the good of the breed.

The very last thing on anyones mind was making money, it must have cost thousands to fund this hobby.[/QUOTE

Well said, I'm on the Northern Welshie committee and the work that goes into putting on one champ and one open show a year is phenomenal and none of us get paid.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
There you go, you can't buy Iams at Crufts but you can buy Eukanuba, as I said !!

I think you need to apologise---I have just checked the trade stands.

You were right with your first statement.

You can buy Iams at Crufts----I thought I had seen it on previous years but until you got to splitting hairs I didn't bother to check.

Now I have, and you were, and are, wrong.

rune
Page 46 of 103 « First < 36 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 56 96 > Last »