Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If people want a rescue they can, if people dont the dont have to, whats the problem? Ill probably never have another rescue, why should I, its my choice, and by breeding a litter of puppies why would I be adding to rescue, cos the dog in rescue will still be there if the person buying my pup wanted a Border, right?
Yup, if they want to rescue or they dont want one thats their buisness - i dont think anyone has said otherwise

So there are no breed specific rescues for borders then??
People dont ever think they want one breed then decide on a total other breed?? People dont have more than one breed??

Everyone is free to breed if they want but it is always going to be my belief that the more dogs that are bred the more will have to be PTS in rescue
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Sorry you feel jumped on, I doubt anyone ment that in the slightest, i guess it can get heated when this is something we ALL seem to feel strongly about, and with reason to.
and i dont for one second think you ment to offend anyone on purpose.
Thankyou

Thats my point, I dont doubt you do your very best and find amazing homes, have contracts and everything in place to do the best you can
But you cannot be 100% sure - so their is still a chance

Thats all I am asking people to admit too - nothing is 100%, the best breeder in the world can make a mistake, so it is POSSIBLE for one of their dogs to end up in rescue
It is POSSIBLE that if you didnt breed someone who would have got one of your pups might get a different breed or even a rescue

Thats all
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup, if they want to rescue or they dont want one thats their buisness - i dont think anyone has said otherwise.
Seem owners and breeders of pedigree dogs are being targeted to me, same old.....

So there are no breed specific rescues for borders then??
People dont ever think they want one breed then decide on a total other breed?? People dont have more than one breed??
Yes, we have Border Terrier welfare, but there you go again you see, insinuating that a rescue Border should of been taken as first priority rather than a puppy. Id like to think if people have done their homework correctly, the dog they ultimately choose will be the one that suits, them, their family and their lifestyle the best, wouldnt you?

Of course people can have more than one breed, but again, if its suits then whats the problem? A rescue crossbreed may be the worst thing somebody could ever do, they may have inbred traits that will become too much or undesirable for the family, whereas buying a pedigree from a reputable breeder should ensure they will be aware of the temperament, character, size, coat and pretty much everything else about the breed they chose.

Everyone is free to breed if they want but it is always going to be my belief that the more dogs that are bred the more will have to be PTS in rescue
I agree, but I think crossbreeds are causing more issues than pedigrees, but when places like the Dogs Trust and RSPCA will not relinquish dogs to breed rescues, then they make the problems worse for themselves.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Jeez i bet the OP didn't realise what a can of worms they were opening ................
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
Hmmm - the important point here is that our present system just is not working - the RSPCA have recently said that it will no longer take in unwanted dogs - why ? could it be that they have also cottoned onto the fact that simply mopping up the problem will never solve it - by making it harder for folk to 'opt out' they will begin to force the issue of responsibility - the arguement that irresponsible breeders will simply kill their unwanted dogs is increasingly meaningless as so many shelters are forced to kill the thousands of Staffy crosses etc currently filling their kennels - if they refuse to take them in and MAKE those owners and breeders face the truth of what their actions result in the just perhaps the sickening reality of what they do will hit home.

As for there not being enough homes for the number of dogs produced - well it all depends on what breed you are looking at - I had 36 names on my puppy list for my last litter ( I had 8 pups to sell ) and already have 7 on my list for my planned litter next year these are folk that would not go to a shelter - they want a specific breed for its individual and unique traits
Excellent post,

Originally Posted by spot View Post
Not having a dig at all - you should know that!

I wish I could laugh at some of the stuff but as was said before Im beginning to feel like a leper for supporting puppy farms by having helping and having rescues. Oh and now they only rescue pretty dogs as well
Nope you never have and i doubt you ever will.
Well is it not a fact that black dogs get overlooked in rescue, the old the not so cute, you see it all the time on these rescue programmes that are on the TV.. they (people who work there) are continually saying the exact same thing.

The cute and pretty ones go first and the not so cute stay put.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Jeez i bet the OP didn't realise what a can of worms they were opening ................
Thing is this can of worms has mutated
spot
Dogsey Veteran

29-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Do some people actually believe that if PFs and BYBs didnt have rescues to take the dogs, they would just keep them?

Im afraid Lozzi that some people do - in fact

To quote Rips

What I'm saying is in some way the rescues are infact creating the problem they're trying to stop by giving old brood bitches a home

Not only are puppy farmers going to keep their old stock but rescues are creating the problem (not the buyers or puppy farmers - nope its the rescues creating the problem
spot
Dogsey Veteran

29-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Well is it not a fact that black dogs get overlooked in rescue, the old the not so cute, you see it all the time on these rescue programmes that are on the TV.. they (people who work there) are continually saying the exact same thing.

The cute and pretty ones go first and the not so cute stay put.
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
What about all the black mutts that ger PTS every day because no one wants them (which the rescue know and therefore don't bother rescuing them from the pund). It's very possible a black mutt died because you and everyone else goes for the pretty ones, does anyone ever think about that?.

How come there are any old ugly black muts in rescue at all then as - according to some the rescues dont even bother trying to save them as they know the pretty ones will sell?

Again another go at rescues and how apparently they are the cause of the problem.

Oh and what a sweeping statment that everyone who rescues only goes for the pretty ones
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
What about all the black mutts that ger PTS every day because no one wants them (which the rescue know and therefore don't bother rescuing them from the pund). It's very possible a black mutt died because you and everyone else goes for the pretty ones, does anyone ever think about that?.

How come there are any old ugly black muts in rescue at all then as - according to some the rescues dont even bother trying to save them as they know the pretty ones will sell?

Again another go at rescues and how apparently they are the cause of the problem.

Oh and what a sweeping statment that everyone who rescues only goes for the pretty ones:roll:
Now Spot you are making it up as you go along now

Why is stating facts that certain dogs dont do well in rescue (being left over another) having a go at said rescues that one is really confusing

Its not the rescues fault what colour the dog is or whether it looks nice or not ,

Sweeping statements Spot, dont know about that , but you certainly are making some bazaar ones
spot
Dogsey Veteran

29-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Now Spot you are making it up as you go along now

Why is stating facts that certain dogs dont do well in rescue (being left over another) having a go at said rescues that one is really confusing

Its not the rescues fault what colour the dog is or whether it looks nice or not ,

Sweeping statements Spot, dont know about that , but you certainly are making some bazaar ones
I have no problem with stating the facts that certains dont do well in rescue - black ones being one of them certainly

What about all the black mutts that ger PTS every day because no one wants them (which the rescue know and therefore don't bother rescuing them from the pund).

It was the statement that rescues dont bother rescueing them from pounds that I found particularly annoying when hundreds of volunteers up and down the country are doing their damndest to get any dog regardless of looks etc out of pts situations.
Closed Thread
Page 45 of 50 « First < 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 > Last »