register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 45 of 84 « First < 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 55 > Last »
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
So...by your own admission he tried to mount her several times. You then stayed and allowed them to romp around offlead..not fair for him surely? Every instinct he had saying he should mount her...and you making him stay and play..

I disagree. Totally. IME with a dog who shows no interest in inseason bitches..it is the bitch that flirts and cajoles no matter what part of her season she is in.

But YOU LET THEM PLAY and that was unfair...you let them play despite the fact that your dog kept trying to mount her. IN all honesty of your training and methods were THAT good, your dog would be told once and once only and that would be that..not an 'oi' several times, there would be no need if your 'training' is as good as you suggest.

So...as I said...if his training was as marvellous as you suggest (thinks to CM of course) then you would be able to tell him no and he would go nowhere near her again.
By the sound of it he actually pretty much ignored you as he kept going back for more.
Good points , one could suggest CM methods work, when one has to tell a dog once to "stop" , and it obeys.... but many time over and over again,,,, well maybe not.

Not to mention, the first time he ignored his owner, should have been the time to remove him from such a stressful situation.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
Hi tinkladyv , what I'd really like to know, if you feel you could share, is what is your reasoning behind alpha rolling?
It's a question I've asked before and no one has ever answered.
My reason is in my answer above.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Some people really have a strange idea as to what calm means!
Becky
Becky, a classic example of where you are wrong is that the dog is also walked by my parents and a dog walker, both not present at the work i did with him, he does not jump up at them either!

Please also reread what i have said, you do not need to use force in an Alpha roll, it is all about calm energy not forcing an animal to the ground.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Becky, a classic example of where you are wrong is that the dog is also walked by my parents and a dog walker, both not present at the work i did with him, he does not jump up at them either!

Please also reread what i have said, you do not need to use force in an Alpha roll, it is all about calm energy not forcing an animal to the ground.
????? really not understanding this about calm energy and not forcing the dog to the ground. So you apply no pressure...you just think the dog to the floor?
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 09:35 PM
????? really not understanding this about calm energy and not forcing the dog to the ground. So you apply no pressure...you just think the dog to the floor?
as long as you 'ssshhhh' at it as well, the dog will just alpha roll itself!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Some people really have a strange idea as to what calm means!
Becky
Of course there is some pressure, but it does not have to be aggresive or paticually forceful. I lay my son down to change him, he does not always want to that minute, but im gentle and calm and we change his bottom, without fear or aggresion.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
as long as you 'ssshhhh' at it as well, the dog will just alpha roll itself!
This is what i dont enjoy about this forum
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Of course there is some pressure, but it does not have to be aggresive or paticually forceful. I lay my son down to change him, he does not always want to that minute, but im gentle and calm and we change his bottom, without fear or aggresion.
I don't think changing a nappy and alpha rolling a dog are comparable in the slightest.

So...it isn't just about being calm then, it is also about the application of pressure. It is about getting the dog to submit isn't it? To lie still on it's side whilst you hold it. You can do it as calmly as you like...but there is still force involved.
Am I right in thinking you alpha rolled your dog to stop it jumping up?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Erm your son is a HUMAN!!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't think changing a nappy and alpha rolling a dog are comparable in the slightest.

So...it isn't just about being calm then, it is also about the application of pressure. It is about getting the dog to submit isn't it? To lie still on it's side whilst you hold it. You can do it as calmly as you like...but there is still force involved.
Am I right in thinking you alpha rolled your dog to stop it jumping up?
They are very comparable, both were doing unwanted behaviours, with both i used my calmness and a small amount of fforce to lay them down, neither wanted to, but both calmed and were fine and happy.

I did use it to stop jumping up after lots of other methods had been tried by my sisiter and various trainers without any success and the dog was getting more and more distressed and powerful in the jumping up, to the point where she felt unable to keep him.
Closed Thread
Page 45 of 84 « First < 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 55 > Last »