Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Have a look at this article on the web under Dominance Aggression - you may it interesting

http://mendocinohumane.org/html/aggressive.html
So - going by this article...
Dominance aggression (which would translate to tying to 'put the cat in its place'?

or -
Fear aggression (which would be the dog being afraid of the cat hurting it - or survival instinct)

or -
Protective/territorial/possesvie aggression (hich would be the dog worried about the cat taking resouces - or survival instinct)

or -
Predetory aggression (the dog who sees the cat as a meal - or suvival instinct)

or -
redirected aggression (can;t reach the object so take it out on the cat)

or -
Pain (dog is hurting so lashes out in fear o being hurt more - suvival instinct)

or idiopathic....ie - no-one knows.

from what I see, most of this would come down to suvival instinct.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Seems perfectly reasonable to me, so we will have to agree to disagree.
Fair nuff
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Quote by Gnasher -
Cats are cats, they do pretty much as they like. I believe you can train a cat to a certain extent, but they are completely untrustworthy and will do whatever it is you have trained them not to do behind your back. But as least whilst you are looking, you can control them to a certain extent. - end quote

I dont think thats altogether fair. Some cats like some dogs are good at turning "deaf ears".

We have 2. Theyve never given reason for us to think they are untrustworthy, quite the opposite. They can both "sit" when asked

On u-tube there are vids of cats doing agility. To do so an animal needs the basics of obedience. I guess you get what you put into an animal. Maybe cat agility is something i should look into with my painful knee.
I will partially agree with you. I will also be quite honest and say that I personally do not like cats. My daughter wanted to bring her cat home with her, and I hadn't the heart to refuse. I was actually quite surprised to discover that you can indeed train cats to respond to simple commands. However, they are untrustworthy animals and will go back behind your back when you are not looking. Winkle will not jump on the kitchen surfaces whilst we are around, but the minute our backs are turned, she is up there sniffing around. They are a completely different type of animal from a dog, they are not pack animals, cats are loners so they don't have any of the pack code of honour that we humans have, and dogs, horses etc. Equally surprisingly, Winkle has completely fallen in love with me, follows me around like a lost soul and is extremely loving. I have to say she is very endearing, we have long conversations and she has a particularly sweet habit of biting my nose to tell me she loves me
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:04 PM
I didnt say that the dog was dominant the only opinion i have is that a pet dog does not kill a pet cat to survive
It does! Surely you would agree that if a dog was blinded by a cat, in the wild he would have a job to survive. Cats can do incredible damage with their claws, and although I don't know of any, there must be many dogs who have lost an eye, or two, or been sight impaired by a cat.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Dominance aggression (which would translate to tying to 'put the cat in its place'?

or -
Fear aggression (which would be the dog being afraid of the cat hurting it - or survival instinct)

or -
Protective/territorial/possesvie aggression (hich would be the dog worried about the cat taking resouces - or survival instinct)

or -
Predetory aggression (the dog who sees the cat as a meal - or suvival instinct)

or -
redirected aggression (can;t reach the object so take it out on the cat)

or -
Pain (dog is hurting so lashes out in fear o being hurt more - suvival instinct)

Agreed - excellent post Tassle.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
It does! Surely you would agree that if a dog was blinded by a cat, in the wild he would have a job to survive. Cats can do incredible damage with their claws, and although I don't know of any, there must be many dogs who have lost an eye, or two, or been sight impaired by a cat.
I repeat a "pet" dog (living as a pet) does not need to kill a " pet" cat (living as a pet) to survive. I never mentioned a dog living in the wild
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I repeat a "pet" dog (living as a pet) does not need to kill a " pet" cat (living as a pet) to survive. I never mentioned a dog living in the wild
I'm not sure you can take away the instincts just like that.
It may not 'need' to in our eyes.....but from the dogs POV.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

or -

or -

or -
Predetory aggression (the dog who sees the cat as a meal -
or suvival instinct)

or -
redirected aggression (can;t reach the
object so take it out on the cat)

or -

Under the dominance theory -
Quote -

Dominance aggression may be directed at humans, dogs and even cats. - end Quote
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Under the dominance theory -
Quote -

Dominance aggression may be directed at humans, dogs and even cats. - end Quote
So the dog is putting the cat in its place? That is what you think dogs are doing when they want to chase cats? or kill them?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2011, 10:27 PM
*ecollar posts have been removed*
Page 45 of 56 « First < 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 55 > Last »