View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Jodie- it's good that you put a link up there for people to see. I haven't looked at it myself because I can't bring myself to but you're right...it needs highlighting.

It's so heartwarming to see so many of us with the same view on here. What I can't believe are the so called dog lovers who deny that there is a big, unpleasant side to greyhound racing.
Just today, the rescue I got my lovely beautiful Holly from has had another 3 dogs in....greyhounds/lurchers!
I'm so frustrated that I can't take more at the moment. My house is just too small and I already have 5 dogs.
But I am now looking into getting a bigger house with some land to fulfill my dream of providing a loving home for many more of these wonderful, loving greyhounds.
I'll keep you all posted!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Not intended??? - thats where you are wrong Borderdawn.

The very nature of an oval track and 6 dogs racing together provides an ideal environment for accidents just waiting to happen - nearly all accidents happen at the first bend. Look at the video again and you will see.

Greyhounds consistently race either close to the rails, middle or wide of the track but when they hit the first bend they ALL naturally want to take the shortest route and cut in on each other.

In BAGS racing - where the dogs can cost as little as £50 or even given away in today's economic climate - the situation is even more alarming. Bookmakers obviously don't like punters being able to determine the winner, so the stadium's racing managers will 'grade for trouble'. He will place a wide runner in trap 1 and a railer in trap 6 - resulting in dogs moving across the track and colliding - simply so it will be impossible to predict a winner.

Costing as little as they do - it is far more finacially viable to have the greyhounds detsroyed rather that afford them veterinary care for any injuries sustained and well within the industry's Rules of Racing.

Very sad but very true!
Yes youre right, they buy dogs, train them and race them with the intent that they get hurt, where have I been going wrong? Silly me!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes youre right, they buy dogs, train them and race them with the intent that they get hurt, where have I been going wrong? Silly me!
Yes your right, they buy dogs, train them and race them, but of course their intent is not for them to get hurt, but the point being made as i read it was there is a high probability that they will and by knowinh this and putting their dogs in the races, what care do they have for them.
Would you put your dog in a situation knowing that it was likely to be injured???????
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Yes your right, they buy dogs, train them and race them, but of course their intent is not for them to get hurt, but the point being made as i read it was there is a high probability that they will and by knowinh this and putting their dogs in the races, what care do they have for them.
Would you put your dog in a situation knowing that it was likely to be injured???????
Dont we do that every single day? These dogs are there for racing, thats it, like it or lump it, they are there to earn their keep. They are NOT there to get injured or harmed thats not financially viable, likewise our pets when they are out, but they DO get harmed, attacked, injured, run over, go lame, pick up infection, not intentional though!
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Bookmakers obviously don't like punters being able to determine the winner, so the stadium's racing managers will 'grade for trouble'. He will place a wide runner in trap 1 and a railer in trap 6 - resulting in dogs moving across the track and colliding - simply so it will be impossible to predict a winner.

(

Jodie

You know very well that dogs are graded as "Rails, middle, wide.

That means that a dog seeded as a railer gets traps 1 or 2 and maybe 3 if there is no or 1 middle runner as the same for wides.

You are Wrong when you state that a wide runner is given trap 1 never ever happens(unless all dogs a designated as wides)

The other point is your video.

You show a lot of races where a dog falls over at the first bend then cut to a statment of some sort, you then show another race and so on, what you dont show is the rest of the race where in most cases the dog picks him self up and carries on racing.

Pure and utter PROPGANDA on your part.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
Jodie

You know very well that dogs are graded as "Rails, middle, wide.

That means that a dog seeded as a railer gets traps 1 or 2 and maybe 3 if there is no or 1 middle runner as the same for wides.

You are Wrong when you state that a wide runner is given trap 1 never ever happens(unless all dogs a designated as wides)

The other point is your video.

You show a lot of races where a dog falls over at the first bend then cut to a statment of some sort, you then show another race and so on, what you dont show is the rest of the race where in most cases the dog picks him self up and carries on racing.

Pure and utter PROPGANDA on your part.

Hi Galty
If the dogs are trapped correctly why have 301 trainers or owners signed this petition to have the system changed? Please read the text of the petition which confirms what I have stated.
http://petitions.tigweb.org/Seeding

Yes - indeed the dogs sometimes do pick themselves up and continue to run because the adrenalin is still pumping and the poor dog feels little pain whilst racing.

An ideal example can be seen in this video where the dog clearly sustains an injury and continues to race hard, despite being unable to put any pressure on his leg once the race has finished.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4f7Rm25-1o

Not propaganda Galty - the truth!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Dont we do that every single day? These dogs are there for racing, thats it, like it or lump it, they are there to earn their keep. They are NOT there to get injured or harmed thats not financially viable, likewise our pets when they are out, but they DO get harmed, attacked, injured, run over, go lame, pick up infection, not intentional though!
Yes they are there for racing, and i have no problem with working dogs, but that means the dogs deserve the very best care, which in my experience they clearly do not get.
No of course the owners/trainers will not want them to get injured because your right its a loss of money to them. But its a lot cheaper to have a dog destroyed than to give it vet treatment and keep it, especially then when they can no longer run. Here is the problem!
As for you comparison with pet dogs, i see none. They are out with their owners who care for them and protect them.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi Galty
If the dogs are trapped correctly why have 301 trainers or owners signed this petition to have the system changed? Please read the text of the petition which confirms what I have stated.
http://petitions.tigweb.org/Seeding

Yes - indeed the dogs sometimes do pick themselves up and continue to run because the adrenalin is still pumping and the poor dog feels little pain whilst racing.

An ideal example can be seen in this video where the dog clearly sustains an injury and continues to race hard, despite being able to put any pressure on his leg once the race has finished.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4f7Rm25-1o

Not propaganda Galty - the truth!
Good post, i agree, these are the type of injuries that the dogs that come into East Midlands rescue tend to have and they are the lucky ones, often they are several injuries that have gone untreated and as our vet said would cause a lot of pain.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 08:06 AM
The first video is bad but it doesn't give you dates etc and over what timescale of when the falls occured, obviously watching dogs fall in quick succession like that is awful, it has been made in that way and for that effect, but on the flip side there are thousands of races (when you consider how much racing there is) where all the dogs come home without falling but whose going to be interested in that? Also as someone has already said not every dog who falls is PTS, most do get up and continue racing and get immediate vet care after the race at a registered track.

The last video you've put up is of independant racing not GBGB registered where there is a vet at every meeting to deal with such injuries at the time they occur. I believe a vet should have to be present at the Independant tracks so that the dog in the last video could get immediate care. That said though we don't know if that dog was taken to a vet on the way home and unless proved otherwise it's wrong to try and give the impression that it was just left.
It really needs to be looked at in balance and based on good factual evidence and not just from one side.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Yes they are there for racing, and i have no problem with working dogs, but that means the dogs deserve the very best care, which in my experience they clearly do not get.
No of course the owners/trainers will not want them to get injured because your right its a loss of money to them. But its a lot cheaper to have a dog destroyed than to give it vet treatment and keep it, especially then when they can no longer run. Here is the problem!
As for you comparison with pet dogs, i see none. They are out with their owners who care for them and protect them.
Thanks, I knew you would have to agree, you see thats the thing again with you (and others here) you give statements that are untrue, which of course will gain you no support.

No comparison to pet dogs? Why not? Surely the fact that the racer AND the pet dog is unintentionally injured is exactly the same? How could it differ?
Page 44 of 157 « First < 34 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 54 94 144 > Last »