View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I personally beleive you can gain a very good impression of a school by the way the children are dressed in their uniform, skirts the right length, ties done up , shirts tucked in..a slovenly child walking around disheveled in school, gives of an impression of a slovenly ethos.

A tidy school uniform shows disipline in a school.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Have to admit there are schools which make you buy their embroidered shirts, ties, sweatshirts and gym wear which is more expensive.
True, but cost it out against ordinary clothes it still comes in cheaper most of the time, and many schools that do have their logos printed on will be private.

In saying that the two state schools by me have their logos printed on the sweaters , but parents dont seem to mind, there good schools, a small price to pay , in my opinion.

And many as I said before have swap shops..
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I dont think anyone is saying that there should not be rules in place though? It's just how you deal with things...and attitudes....
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I dont think anyone is saying that there should not be rules in place though? It's just how you deal with things...and attitudes....
The thing is, children will be children and will constantly push boundaries, if you have a school, that is always one step ahead of them and they know that school uniform rules mean exactly that, they comply or they get consequences... its all part of the bigger picture in a schools ethos.

If one allows kids to come to schools with noses pierced, red/green or pink hair, no restrictions on what thay cant wear, you have a harder job installing any other form of discipline.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 03:50 PM
When I was at school it was black skirt and tights for the girls, black shoes, white shirt and school blazer (though you could wear a black jacket) in winter, a black woolen jersey (of a specific type). Plus school tie which had to be worn properly.

These were normally purchased at Littlewoods or M&S as there wasnt anywhere else.

However I see nothing wrong with a family on a tight budget kitting their kids out in exactly the same way from Primark/Asda/Tesco for half the cost. Which if you belong to one of the schools round here with these specific embroidered uniforms and gym kits, you do not have the choice of.

When I was at school (do I sound like my mother yet?) It didn't really matter WHERE you bought the uniform as long as you were dressed in it (properly)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There`s a really interesting article in today`s Telegraph that I picked up on the train this afternoon.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...e-rioters.html
It`s from the head of a secondary school in Hackney, that is succeeding amazingly. Have a look at the methods.
They are what was normal practice when I was at school.
Same here and perhaps if all schools went back to the old-fashioned values that include 'respect', we might just start to see a change for the better in society as a whole.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 03:51 PM
boys were pretty much the same, black shoes, black trousers, white shirt...

addressing teachers was not just 'sir' or 'miss'

You said the whole name; Mr Smith or Miss Smith or Mrs Smith
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Not sure that most the schools that have logos on are private, a few round here do, or at least their school shirts and jumpers, and one tells parents what colour socks their children can wear, with their uniform, I had to have orange PE socks, and I also don't think a smart looking uniform says a lot either, where I went to secondary school there were three secondary schools, all known for different things but mostly simalar (I once got a after school bus that was shared between two schools and was told because of where I lived and the school I went to that I would have to sit at the front where the bus driver could keep a eye on us ) but one of them schools has a smart uniform, blazers etc, and they were no better then the others, ours had the least smart uniform, the other had smart black jumpers and ties, but all basically had the same attitude, even if some did look smarter then the rest.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 03:55 PM
The school near me is strict in uniform (including printed sweatshirts, embroidered shirts..) and outdoor footwear is for outdoors, they even have to change shoes when they get in. Still some wild wee 'bleeps' walk out the doors lol and its not a private school.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy
There`s a really interesting article in today`s Telegraph that I picked up on the train this afternoon.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...e-rioters.html
It`s from the head of a secondary school in Hackney, that is succeeding amazingly. Have a look at the methods.
They are what was normal practice when I was at school
Which back up my points, its the small things that you have to start with, and wearing a school uniform and being made to abide by the code, is one of them.

How nice those children look, it instills a sense of pride in them , it gives of a impression of discipline in the school, and by the tone of the article is accomplishing good things.
Page 44 of 47 « First < 34 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 >