Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
His post about horses doesn`t show any knowledge of horses. Horse behaviour? Must have been a correspondence course.
At Duchy College, apparently.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Thank you----I fill up remembering it. It makes me realise how people dealing with animals in the wild must feel when they are allowed to come close and maybe touch them.

Pippin has his own little life which is stimulating and fun and secure. He was never going to be a 'normal' dog and since no one could get near him putting a shock collar on him might have been a problem. Having taken off the original collar (long story) when we eventually tried a collar he messed himself and ran, a lead was impossible.

He chases a ball, walks in the fields, eats bones and treats and kongs and has lots of canine company and safe places.

rune
Nobody that has genuine respect for wild animals would want to "touch" them, its the first sign of you wanting to remove the wildness.

The pics of Pippin are lovely.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Nobody that has genuine respect for wild animals would want to "touch" them, its the first sign of you wanting to remove the wildness.

The pics of Pippin are lovely.
Rubbish to the first part---are you saying Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, David Attenborogh don't/didn't have respect.

Obviously you don't understand that different species can want to find out about each other.

rune
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Feral is too mild a description of Pippin when he first arrived. I took him straight to the vets and when I asked if he had ever seen anything like him before the reply was "not in captivity!"

He saw him in the cage in the back of the car.

I feel sad for AP that he will never know the total thrill of having an animal choose to allow him to touch him----not because the alternative is painful but simply because the touch isdesired.

The first time Pippin chose to allow me to touch him I cried, it was so special. It is still special when he comes to talk because he wants to.

rune
Yes, it is such a special thing when trust occurs - I too feel sad for AP and his ilk. In a way.

I also remember some of Pippin's story from another forum and he was really pretty wild, he was not really too much like you'd expect a feral dog to be really.

Glad he has known safety and love in his life

Wys
x
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Adam, that dosnt make any sense. How EXACTLY do you encourage change, trust and security if you do not approach them with the right attitude, or be mindful of their environment, or allow time to adjust and learn?

and how does your method actually allow the dog to learn to trust and become more secure?

Please be clear, I'm not asking about getting a dog to simply learn he must do a command instead of acting a certain way. I'm asking in which way do you improve the dogs mental health and life quality for the long term, without as you put it 'pointless' giving space and time, allowing for environment and creating a trust bond.
It creates a change in them because they realise your a comfortable space to be and that being with you is ok.

With a dog that never has any encouragement to do this they always remain slightly weary.

Adam
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
It creates a change in them because they realise your a comfortable space to be and that being with you is ok.
And what a false sense of secuitiry that would be! Wouldn't you be afraid that lying to your dogs, they would suss it out one day? Or do you just think of them as mindless automatons with no rational thought or emotions?

With a dog that never has any encouragement to do this they always remain slightly weary.
Wary of you doesn't surprise me in the least. I would say your lack of empathy could be the key as to why you went straight for the electronic appliances.... If these work more successfully for you, than without, that speaks volumes about your innate training talents.
mike_c
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I doubt it. His posts are quite confusing. You`d almost think he was two people.
One of whom can spell ok, and the other can't
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post

Adam
Is this all based upon the "Act of God" theory? I.e. they don't realise it's you, that it's happening because of their behaviour. You know full well that this is utter crap and they will make associations you cannot even contemplate. I can't believe anyone could be that stupid and if you are, you have no business calling yourself a dog trainer.

Still, you have said (elsewhere) that "clients/circumstance, lack of skill dictated that was a no go" - 'that' being "purely positive" techniques. "Clients" being the fact that they wanted results.

A good trainer would teach the client and "wanting results" is NO REASON to punish, harm, abuse a dog!

Ditch the cruel, sadistic techniques and your disgusting mentors and train dogs properly, with kindness and empathy.
Please.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by mike_c View Post
One of whom can spell ok, and the other can't
Weary......wary

LOL

rune
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran