View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Been a while, so I've been catching up, but it seems everything's been going brilliantly, apart from your poor hand Maisiesmum! I did that once and got my leg bitten by the other dog when I went to block it, but what could you have done other than what you did!

Nothing to report from me, all has been going brilliantly here too - it must be the nice weather then!!! Not forgetting all our hard work and perseverence of course!

I did think we were in for it yesterday though as we came back down the track from up top. This stupid woman had 5 collies and one goldie ALL offlead, and one of those collies is the very same one that attacked Zena when she was a puppy, it's bitten the muscle out of a dog's back leg too, it's an evil little g*t, and she KNOWS me and Zena, and she SAW me move over to the side into the scrub with Zena onlead sitting on my left slightly behind as I always do, so why couldn't she have put the bladdy thing on a lead!!! How the h*ck could she have coped with 6 dogs offlead if that b*stard had come over to have a pop at Zena Stupid, stupid woman. Anyhoo, as she went past, I held the rope of Zena's ball, she stayed calm, and the woman was chucking treats all over the place at the dogs to get their attention which was good enough for me I suppose THEN, Zena took it out on her ball lol coz she must have known that dog was in amongst them, sooooo funny!

Hi bplanky, keep up the good work, you're doing brilliantly for a 16 week old pup there!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Been a while, so I've been catching up, but it seems everything's been going brilliantly, apart from your poor hand Maisiesmum! I did that once and got my leg bitten by the other dog when I went to block it, but what could you have done other than what you did!

Nothing to report from me, all has been going brilliantly here too - it must be the nice weather then!!! Not forgetting all our hard work and perseverence of course!

I did think we were in for it yesterday though as we came back down the track from up top. This stupid woman had 5 collies and one goldie ALL offlead, and one of those collies is the very same one that attacked Zena when she was a puppy, it's bitten the muscle out of a dog's back leg too, it's an evil little g*t, and she KNOWS me and Zena, and she SAW me move over to the side into the scrub with Zena onlead sitting on my left slightly behind as I always do, so why couldn't she have put the bladdy thing on a lead!!! How the h*ck could she have coped with 6 dogs offlead if that b*stard had come over to have a pop at Zena Stupid, stupid woman. Anyhoo, as she went past, I held the rope of Zena's ball, she stayed calm, and the woman was chucking treats all over the place at the dogs to get their attention which was good enough for me I suppose THEN, Zena took it out on her ball lol coz she must have known that dog was in amongst them, sooooo funny!

Hi bplanky, keep up the good work, you're doing brilliantly for a 16 week old pup there!

H, thats what gets me too, owners with these dogs and they know that they are bullies but just wont keep them on a lead.....

WELL, we met a couple of labs recently and it all went very smoothly Have to admit, they were nothing in character to the others and females so I think that helped but hey ho, still good as he had been very defensive to all of them at one point which I think was a fear of what they MAY have done to him since the others (involved in the 'incidents') didn't seem to read (or care) about his signals....so its a good thing if he is learning that not all labs are like this....
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Getting along better with Millie I think we have come to an understanding of eachother she still bites but she is no longer agressive about it just excitable now

She learnt to retreive I didnt say anything to her this time just through the duck and she brought it back and dropped it at my feet ^_^

did this at least three times she drops it and can take it off her without any problems I think thats a build of trust their

she repeated the same today I didnt say anything just lots of praise for her when she dropped it!!

Getting a trainer in Satuarday hopping to start teaching Millie some obediance as part from sit and down she doesnt know anything else we have never been able to teach her anything else.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Number of vet training visits: 7

Number of vets eaten: 0

WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2011, 09:08 PM
So.. I don't know how many people know about my buhund, but lots of people have helped me on here so thought I would give a little update (and have a little brag ).
She is quite a fearful dog and used to bark at strangers when out and about as a way to make them back off and not approach her.

I have been working with her for a while, and clicker training with her (especially after reading click to calm as recommended on here).
Well - I AM SO PROUD
She has not barked at anyone once in the last 4 days, and only very occasionally over the last month. If she barks now - it is just one or a grumble rather than a wooof wooof wooof wooooooof etc! She is so much more confident around people. Yesterday in the park a lady's dog stole her ball - she couldnt get it back - so I offered her a treat. Kestral was sitting and waiting for a treat from her! She even gave her a little stroke! She has been really good even wanting attention from some nice people we chat to in parks.
I have had guests over she has never met - and no barking or nervous reactions.
I am so happy and so hopeful she is going to be a happy more go lucky dog.

Soon I think I will tackle her fear of noisey traffic so be prepped for lots more questions
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Well done Helena and Zena sounds like she is doing fantastically!

Well done Loui with the labs some nice positive encounters

Well done Pippam and Millie sounds like the training is going well

Well done Cain and Amanda that did make me laugh

Well done Whichpets thats fantastic progress i hope you have as much success tackling her traffic phobia

Not much to report here everything is still going well i've been trying to let him greet dogs that come over and so far he's been great My dad walked him a couple of times this week and even he noticed a difference apparently he had two dogs running around and underneath him with no problems (one being my uncles ESS dog). Apparently yesterday morning he had a lab come charging over and around him and again no reaction my dad thought he may have been too surprised to react but he stayed calm and allowed my dad to have a conversation with the other owner although my dad did hold Ted's collar just in case
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Well done Loui, Millie, and Cain not eating even one of those vets not forgetting what a good boy Ted was too.

Kestral did well there too. I had this exact problems with my young gsd at the same age, she hated strangers especially men, and would bark profusely at them, and sometimes out of the blue at them so keep at it, you will win with perseverence. If someone approached the car to chat to me, she would go manic at them in the bark, but it seems I have even cured her of that one now! When I loaded the other dog into the back up his ramp, after our walk yesterday, a strange man came over to me to enquire about which ramp I had. Now both dogs were in the back, and he leaned INTO my car from the back with the top open (it's an estate car) to take a good look at this ramp, and Zena did nothing Of course, I was ready and waiting to grab her had she started barking at him, but she didn't she just sat there, letting us chat and fiddle about with the ramp and he even had a big lab sitting at his feet, and still nothing - I was pleasantly surprised, but fully prepared, and this was a first for somebody to actually poke their nose into the car with her in it.

Then there's my lawnmowing man, who comes once a week, and Zena used to go manic at him whilst she watched him from the window. I tried most solutions, but found the best one was just to ignore her, and give her a stroke with some kind words when she stopped barking at him, and that has worked, she no longer barks at him whilst she stands with her head on the stool and peers out at him. Having said that, however, I'm surprised he hasn't been eaten either, because on Friday, when I went out shopping, he came in to mow the lawn, and I had left the window half open, the very window that Zena has always peered out at him through I will have to ask him just exactly what she did do!!! He should be very grateful that I had taken the trouble to train her into accepting that he is an ok man!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by emma47 View Post

Well done Whichpets thats fantastic progress i hope you have as much success tackling her traffic phobia
Thanks very much, I'm certainly very happy!

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post

Kestral did well there too. I had this exact problems with my young gsd at the same age, she hated strangers especially men, and would bark profusely at them, and sometimes out of the blue at them so keep at it, you will win with perseverence. If someone approached the car to chat to me, she would go manic at them in the bark, but it seems I have even cured her of that one now! When I loaded the other dog into the back up his ramp, after our walk yesterday, a strange man came over to me to enquire about which ramp I had. Now both dogs were in the back, and he leaned INTO my car from the back with the top open (it's an estate car) to take a good look at this ramp, and Zena did nothing Of course, I was ready and waiting to grab her had she started barking at him, but she didn't she just sat there, letting us chat and fiddle about with the ramp and he even had a big lab sitting at his feet, and still nothing - I was pleasantly surprised, but fully prepared, and this was a first for somebody to actually poke their nose into the car with her in it.

Then there's my lawnmowing man, who comes once a week, and Zena used to go manic at him whilst she watched him from the window. I tried most solutions, but found the best one was just to ignore her, and give her a stroke with some kind words when she stopped barking at him, and that has worked, she no longer barks at him whilst she stands with her head on the stool and peers out at him. Having said that, however, I'm surprised he hasn't been eaten either, because on Friday, when I went out shopping, he came in to mow the lawn, and I had left the window half open, the very window that Zena has always peered out at him through I will have to ask him just exactly what she did do!!! He should be very grateful that I had taken the trouble to train her into accepting that he is an ok man!
Thanks. So nice to hear that others have had similar problems, and even better that your dog is doing really well Time and perseverance do seem to be working...as well as bag fulls of treats
Hope things continue to go well for you, that's very impressive with a scary man leaning in the car though! Kestral is very un-trusting of men ...maybe its a sign
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 09:16 PM
A mini good experience here, but after the drama of last weekend, I'll happily take mini progress

Met up with the owner of his husky friend. Kaya the husky is having some issues lunging at bikes, joggers etc and the female owner has lost confidence to take her out alone They've decided that she needs to be walked with two of them and no other dogs for now. So sadly his husky gf didn't join us on the walk.

However it's been about two months since we've been able to see them, for various reasons, so she came out on our evening walk for a natter and a catch up. It was soooooo nice to have someone to talk to for once!

Now Cain does sort of know her, but he's never seen her without husky Kaya present and usually other dogs takes his focus off of the owners so he doesn't react to them. Plus he hadn't seen her in two months. After last weekend. I'm super paranoid so I muzzled him. I let him have a loose lead as we came out of the gate and approach her briefly. He ran up and had a sniff and half jumped up (bad, but in a friendly way which is better than a I'm gonna eat you way!). I told her to totally ignore him, don't look and we just started walking together as if it was no big deal.

We walked for about 15 mins to the park, with her on my opposite side to Cain. When we got to the park, I took his muzzle off, gave her treats and told her to ask him to Sit and not stare at him. Cain sat and took the treats nicely from her (I was going to start with her tossing treats to him but he was already trying to get them out of her hand so we went with it ). Then we walked on quickly, him on unlocked flexi lead and he totally ignored her.

We managed to get our secure park free so he was off lead around her and she threw his ball for him a few times. Then we walked back with him in the middle of the pair of us. He was very good.

When we got back to the house, she came in with us as I was going to lend her a book. Cain was very interested in the fact she was in the house and was looking at her. I'm unsure if he was uncomfortable or just being nosy (normally he's ok with people in the house), I'm probably just bring paranoid! So I gave her more treats and we got him to Sit and he got some treats. Again I got her to ignore him while we moved around the house to get the book. Then I shut him away while we finished our chat, didn't want to tempt fate.

I know she wasn't a total stranger, but I would definitely consider her a semi stranger, and he's never had to deal with her without Kaya being present. Maybe he'd have been fine anyway but last week shook my nerves ao im very cautious right now. I'm just happy we got through it without incident
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Hopefully that has boosted your confidence,

Have you thought of removing the formality of the treat giving?

Ie not bothering to ask for a specific behaviour like a sit before giving the treats but actually treating the ABSENCE of inappropriate behaviour.

So just throwing treats on ground as your meander along and the same in the house so the presence of your friend is not an "event" but just a run of the mill normal thing?

This sounds much more positive than your last post.
Page 43 of 101 « First < 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 53 93 > Last »