Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
Do let us know what they say. Would be very interesting. Have to admit i have no idea if practices or attitudes are different in Scotland.
I will keep you informed Do you know of any keepers in lowland England, so we could perhaps compare their practices and attitudes? It could be a really interesting study
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Ha! Several people have said to me that if we used any of our birds for meat (which we have no plans to do at the moment) that they wouldn't eat it; because we've treated it like a pet. I always retort back with that at least they know that it has had a good life and been well treated and fed etc, and not kept in horrific conditions. Tends to shut them up!
Totally spot on!
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Another aside to the original debate, is that many veggies tell me that they became vegetarian after watching little lambs gambolling around on the hillside and it turned them off eating meat. Many never stop to think that hill sheep probably have the most natural existence of all our meat animals Sorry - totally off topic
totally agree.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:14 PM
The rule, as I understand it, is snares require checking every 24 hours in Scotland I personally think they should be checked more often than that but hey ho The situation is worse in England and Wales where snares only have to be checked "every day" - which could potentially mean an animal being trapped for 48 hours

I like to think the keepers up here are pretty professional and I certainly see them out and about often enough, but it is a 13,000 acre estate, so I can't say for sure whether they stick to the rules diligently or not.
Wonder where i got the idea of it only being 12 hours from then? Sorry! 24 hours is bad enough but 48? That's appalling!
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:15 PM
I will keep you informed Do you know of any keepers in lowland England, so we could perhaps compare their practices and attitudes? It could be a really interesting study
Yeah and i am sure they would be willing to contribute sounds like a plan!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah and i am sure they would be willing to contribute sounds like a plan!
We will have to come up with some kind of comprehensive questionnaire.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Just looking into the snare thing - Defra admits that in the UK on average 40% of the animals caught will not be the intented "pests".
Defra states the Best Practice (i.e. what they recommend rather than law) is
"It is desirable that animals are dealt with as soon as possible after they are caught. During the winter, in order to comply with Best Practice, snares must be inspected as soon after sunrise as is practicable, and should again be
inspected near dusk. In summer snares must be inspected before 9 am, and a further inspection should be conducted in the evening"

But legally it seems the Wildlife and Country Code states that it has to be done once a day. Hmmm.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Just looking into the snare thing - Defra admits that in the UK on average 40% of the animals caught will not be the intented "pests".
Defra states the Best Practice (i.e. what they recommend rather than law) is
"It is desirable that animals are dealt with as soon as possible after they are caught. During the winter, in order to comply with Best Practice, snares must be inspected as soon after sunrise as is practicable, and should again be
inspected near dusk. In summer snares must be inspected before 9 am, and a further inspection should be conducted in the evening"

But legally it seems the Wildlife and Country Code states that it has to be done once a day. Hmmm.
Not good enough, is it?
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Not good enough, is it?
That's an understatement
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:40 PM
We definitely all should care a lot more about where our meat (and veg!) is coming from. I guess I am lucky in that we get heather-fed, organic lamb, we have free-range chickens (and eggs), and we have kept pigs in the past for pork, bacon etc. I can see how these animals are raised, kept and humanely slaughtered. We get our beef from a small abbattoir, where the animals are humanely slaughtered. I don't really like buying meat from a supermarket, and will choose a butcher over Tesco every time.
It is the slaughtering process that made me a veggie....
Page 42 of 94 « First < 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 52 92 > Last »