View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I do not think pit bulls are any more dangerous than any other dog breed out there. Any dog can attack if poorly trained, poorly socialized, abused, or trained to attack. Pit bulls are chosen by dog fighters because they're tenacious, have a reputation for being willing to do anything for their person, and muscular. If a pit bull is trained to attack, it's going to do a lot more damage than a Yorkie (for example).

I have not owned pits (I'm a long-haired dog kind of person!), but I know many people who own pits and pit mixes and they have all been incredibly sweet and often goofy dogs. I've seen them around children and adults of all ages and not one of them has ever even nipped at anyone. I've seen them walked in the park with other dogs around, seen them playing at the dog park, and seen them with dogs in their own homes. And not one of them has ever showed any dog aggression.

Can they be the "evil fighting dog" that the media often portrays them as? Of course. But only if they're made to be that way. It's the humans we have to worry about. Rather than banning dogs, some people should be banned from owning them.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Helene90 View Post
i love all dogs but the suffering these dogs have to go through is truely awful and my heart bleeds for them all.
But then aren't you punishing good dog owners and good dogs by forcing their owners to have them put to sleep? That creates more suffering for animals that don't deserve it. Not all pit bulls suffer. In fact, from the amount I see out at the park, I'd guess that pit bulls are paying for the small percentage who train them for fighting.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
But isn't it in their genes to fight? Same as a greyhound is born to chase rabbits? I'm sure genes play a very big part in any dog's make up, and if not, then why do they choose this particular dog to fight if it isn't bred into them to want to do that? Just my take on it They would hardly use a cocker spaniel would they, or even a boxer come to that and he's a pretty muscular type of dog who would be able to do this, purely because his instinct wouldn't allow him to fight I don't think? I know all about the "bite" thing that they have etc. etc. but I just feel they have it in them, so in the wrong circumstances, yes I think they are dangerous, imo!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 05:03 PM
From what I understand, pit bulls are naturally protective dogs and have an undying willingness to do anything to please. I'm not sure if any dog is naturally a fighter. But a bred protector with that sort of willingness to please, coupled with incredible strength, has made the dog an easy target for those who want fighting dogs. The same has held true for Rotties and Dobies in the past.

If they had a "gene" for fighting, then I would think they would not be good companion animals, yet I have seen many who are. They're rather popular companion animals in the States.

What is this "bite thing they have" that you're referencing?

And you mention "in the wrong circumstances" they are dangerous -- of course they are. Any dog would be if in the wrong circumstances. But in the RIGHT circumstances, they're great companion animals.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 05:14 PM
When I saw the "bite" thing, I mean they can lock on, like a Staffie does? I'm no expert in this type of dog, I have always had gsd's myself, and I've probably been watching too much tv, as I've seen a pretty horrific attack on the Reality TV show when 2 pitballs got out of their house and ripped a woman apart further down the road, that put me right off them I'm afraid, but then I'm shallow, I'm not really interested in finding out if they make good pets, that tv programme was enough to put me off for life! I'm only giving my opinion that to me, in the wrong hands, they are most certainly a very dangerous dog and I wouldn't like to meet up with one up an alley - alone either!
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Pit Bull where breed to go in the ring with Bulls they where breed for sport no other reason and unfortunatley have continued to be breed for the same reason only now it's pit bull verses what ever they decide to throw in the ring with it, which IMO is what makes them dangerous, I personally wouldn't give one house room, and the bill that was brought about to have them all castrated to stop them breeding was a good Idea its just a shame it hasn't worked.

Mo and the Gang
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 05:21 PM
It's unfortunate that a TV show meant to glamorize crime has turned you against a breed.

They also do NOT have locking jaws. That's a myth. No dogs have locking jaws.

GSDs have been deemed "dangerous" in many contexts. Many of the apartment complexes I looked at banned them, along with pit bulls, Rotties, and Dobies. I'm sure you wouldn't be too pleased to have GSDs suddenly added to the breed ban list in places. Don't think it can happen? If pit bulls die out, what breed of intelligent, loyal, muscular dog are criminals going to turn to next?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Bilclarie View Post
Pit Bull where breed to go in the ring with Bulls they where breed for sport no other reason and unfortunatley have continued to be breed for the same reason only now it's pit bull verses what ever they decide to throw in the ring with it, which IMO is what makes them dangerous, I personally wouldn't give one house room, and the bill that was brought about to have them all castrated to stop them breeding was a good Idea its just a shame it hasn't worked.

Mo and the Gang
And what breed will be deemed unacceptable next? Dobermans are often on lists of "dangerous" dogs. The Dobie was bred to be a watchdog and a bodyguard, "capable of handling any situation that might arise." One might decide that that is enough to condemn them too.

I guess I'm against all BSL. And if they get rid of pit bulls completely, criminals will just turn to another dog, which will then get banned, etc. It just doesn't seem right to me.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
It's unfortunate that a TV show meant to glamorize crime has turned you against a breed.

They also do NOT have locking jaws. That's a myth. No dogs have locking jaws.

GSDs have been deemed "dangerous" in many contexts. Many of the apartment complexes I looked at banned them, along with pit bulls, Rotties, and Dobies. I'm sure you wouldn't be too pleased to have GSDs suddenly added to the breed ban list in places. Don't think it can happen? If pit bulls die out, what breed of intelligent, loyal, muscular dog are criminals going to turn to next?
They're not exactly banned per se in apartment blocks or suchlike over here, but they're not a desired dog to have, so they refuse you whenever they've got the chance! Someone on here has recently been refused at a camp site with her 8 month old gsd which seems pretty incredible doesn't it! It's just something I've learned to live with about the gsd, a lot of people don't like them they consider them dangerous, aggressive etc. etc. and just like the pitbull they are in the wrong hands, BUT, I wouldn't want a pitbull for company in this house, I could never trust it, that's just the way I feel I'm afraid. I couldn't even go so far as to say "they're probably a lovely dog to have around any family" that you would never hear coming out of my mouth! It's not just the media hype either for me, they look too mean with it! No offence, it's just my opinion and the way I feel about them.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 05:39 PM
I never fall for the tricks of the media. They're too good at reporting with misinformation or before they have the whole story...you know, the whole "breaking news" thing. You hear of too many instances where someone calls up and finds out it wasn't actually a pit bull (in one case, they later showed a picture of the dog and it looked remarkably like a golden retriever!).

It's your choice to not want to have them and not believe they can be family pets. However, I don't think they should be banned based on media hype.
Page 41 of 132 « First < 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 51 91 > Last »