Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I would find it very difficult to feed raw being a vegetarian myself I would try but he is allergic to chicken and beef so it could be prohibitively expensive I think.
So as a vegetarian you find it more ethical to pump your dog full of steroids (which are tested on animals) than try and combat a problem using a natural alternative?!
I'm not saying it would work, but I would definitely be worth considering surely!?
I'm not saying testing on animals is good in any way shape or form it just seems like hypocrisy. Also, happy to feed the rubbish parts of the animal if they come in little biscuit shapes not looking like a dead animal!?
That's like saying my dog is getting fat but I'm not in a position to take it for a walk.

I'd also consider a second vet opinion; I can't see how bathing a dog 5-6 times a day would be good for their skin or coat, especially if using anything with chemicals in. Also, out of curiosity why steroids over immuno-suppressants if it's an allergy?
Obviously not your vet so can't comment.

On point, if I had a working farm I would have working dogs, I wouldn't bathe them daily but would give them the option to sleep inside. From the ones I have met some like sleeping inside, some don't. Given I'd be spending all day interacting with the dog I don't see how it can feel unloved?
I'd never chain a dog though, I'd put the money in to make a secure area for them.

A pet dog kept in a crate and taken for an hour walk everyday may feel unloved, I could see that.

My dog is indoors, he is people dependant and I like having him in as part of the family.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So don`t working dogs have an infinity with their owners , and want to be with or near them at all times!!
No working dogs don't have an infinity, at least not to my knowledge.

They might have an affinity though.....

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
TBH I can't see how they can possibly be as loved as my dogs who live inside, sharing every aspect of my life - just not possible.
You very silly woman! These are working border collies. Bred to do a job - not to be cosseted, cuddled and treated like children. Border collies live to work - not to live on a sofa with a walk in the park each day.

These dogs share every aspect of the working day with their handler, the shepherd. They get freedom which many pet dogs can only dream about. They have fulfilment and contentment in their lives that only dogs with a job can feel.

The fact they don't sleep in the house (although as I have said before two actually do) means little or nothing to them - so long as they are getting to fulfil the strong inherent instinct to work sheep each day and are treated with respect and kindness.

You really have no idea!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
OK then, I take exception to the fact that dogs that are chained part of the time are less loved, valued and are mistreated in some way.
Your call. Just as I take exception to the fact that so
Many working dogs are chained. My call. As I said no change there then.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
No working dogs don't have an infinity, at least not to my knowledge.

They might have an affinity though.....

And do the want to be with their owners all the time.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Watching a Border Collie working is poetry in motion to me - so often we've stood and simply watched a shepherd working with its dog as it's beautiful (to me) to see.

Indeed; we get hundreds of requests to watch the Derbyshire sheepdog trials from people who don't have border collies and indeed who don't even have dogs - because they love to see these dogs working in such harmony with their owners. (I work in a Derbyshire Tourist Information Centre)

I consider these dogs to be some of the luckiest dogs alive - spending so much time with their owner doing what they were bred to do. The idea that because they spend some of their life on a chain they are not so well loved as an 'indoor dog' leaves me fairly speechless.

But hey; what do I know......
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:16 PM
That`s fine, its your prerogative to think that way, just as its others prerogative to think the opposite.

Its beyond me why anyone would chain their dogs up for long periods at a time.
FFS - long periods of time? What - overnight to sleep? Yeah, terrible
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:17 PM
And do the want to be with their owners all the time.
So are you asking if they have an affinity with their owners?!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
FFS - long periods of time? What - overnight to sleep? Yeah, terrible
FFS , seems like someone is getting a little defensive
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
A WSD who is doing the very thing it was bred to do, running 70 miles a day (taken from a study I read many years ago) doing the very thing it loves the most, who has a warm, dry shelter, is well fed and well cared for and you think it's left wanting?!

Why would a dog like that want to share every aspect of some boring human beings life??? And before you get your knickers in a twist the boring human being I was referring to was Kirsty!

As much as you love your dogs it's pretty clear to me you humanise them way too much and know nothing about working dogs and their drives!
Absolutely spot on Rips And yes, unfortunately in a battle between me and the sheep - the sheep win every time
Page 41 of 50 « First < 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 > Last »