Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
In the house would you permit them to chase - i think you said you had a big dog, just thinking aloud, a house is more contained. Our dogs wouldnt run round the house the way they do in the
garden because they know they are not allowed to. They are large dogs.

Theres a dog few houses from us & he chases the cat in the garden yet never bothers it in the house.
No of course not, but that is not to say that they wouldn't. My dogs are dogs, not automatons, they don't always do what I say, nor are they particularly obedient If they weren't such well balanced dogs, they would hound the poor cat incessantly, inside and out.

The dog you quote is obviously a well balanced dog like mine - he knows that inside the house, the cat is part of the pack, and has to be tolerated, but outside is fair game.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Its absolutely brilliant!
Agree, it's a great post
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 04:50 PM
The roads are only a danger for those cats (and dogs) who wander onto them.

I dont have a budgie - if i did, it would be in an avairy outside, but thats another subject altogether - caged birds.

Im quite happy with Kyrlr's explanation, we both know we cant agree on some things
Roads are a danger to ALL cats, because they have no road sense and are allowed to roam free. Dogs are usually confined to the leash when on or near the road, but accidents happen. Like with my poor Lizzie.

None of my birds, in fact none of the pets I have ever had, are confined to life in a cage. They all are let out to fly or run free, I do not believe in keeping any animal, whether it be a bird, a rabbit, a rodent, or what, confined 24/7 behind bars.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Can i ask.

You are on a walk & a loose dog comes over, attacks & fatally wounds/kills your dog. MEANS to kill it. Would you fight for THAT dog to be PTS.?

I would
Tis an interesting question - but probably, seeing the attack, (As long as it was unprovoked). I would class a dog that I see starting an unprovoked attack as being dangerously out of control.

So I would get something done - through the dog warden or possibly police. Dependng on what had happened before, i this was an isolated incident, or what background the dog came from.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Tis an interesting question - but probably, seeing the attack, (As long as it was unprovoked). I would class a dog that I see starting an unprovoked attack as being dangerously out of control.

So I would get something done - through the dog warden or possibly police. Dependng on what had happened before, i this was an isolated incident, or what background the dog came from.
Not to be pts, no. But I would want the dog to be checked out by my vet at the owner's expense, but I would take into account the circumstances. I am not sure I believe in "unprovoked attacks" per se - if you watch videos of such attacks in slow motion, you can frequently pick up on triggers from the victim. As I have said before, Hal was attacked by a rottweiler collie cross, completely unprovoked, it really was, Hal was several yards away from the r x c and there was no question of him having provoked the attack in any way - the poor r x c ended up having to be put down because he had a brain tumour. The vet said he must have been in agony, and no wonder he attacked other dogs
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 05:17 PM
A dog killing a cat is not survival......
Why does the dog do it then?

(btw....I do not have an answer fo this, IMO it may be a suvival instinct, it may be a predtory response, which could be argued as a survival instinct)
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Why does the dog do it then?

(btw....I do not have an answer fo this, IMO it may be a suvival instinct, it may be a predtory response, which could be argued as a survival instinct)
As I have already said, if our cat is anything to go by, it most certainly IS survival instinct.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Not to be pts, no. But I would want the dog to be checked out by my vet at the owner's expense, but I would take into account the circumstances. I am not sure I believe in "unprovoked attacks" per se - if you watch videos of such attacks in slow motion, you can frequently pick up on triggers from the victim. As I have said before, Hal was attacked by a rottweiler collie cross, completely unprovoked, it really was, Hal was several yards away from the r x c and there was no question of him having provoked the attack in any way - the poor r x c ended up having to be put down because he had a brain tumour. The vet said he must have been in agony, and no wonder he attacked other dogs
If I dscoverd that there had been multiple attacks - and owners had been inormed and were not willing to rehome or work, I would go for the pts option.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Have been having a giggle about this all day
Its absolutely brilliant!
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Agree, it's a great post
Thank you.

With Zoe's thread and then this one, I thought it was about time the cycle of seriousness was broken, if only for a bit.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Hmm you say they could jump in so none actually have done ..

You & i will never agree. I will never find it acceptable for a domestic pet dog to kill a domestic pet cat. You do find it acceptable .... I find that very sad.
Page 41 of 56 « First < 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 51 > Last »