Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
a bit defeatist isnt it - so it will never work so we just wont bother. If i was a breeder and took it seriously and loved my breed and was breeding to better the breed AND if I knew that someone else in the breed club wasnt doing any testing and was inbreeding therefore destroying the breed i loved etc etc - I would shout them down - too right I would. thats what everyones morals should tell them to do.

?
Defetist no, realistic yes ! Did I say we shouldn't bother trying?
I am not a breeder and haven't been involved with breeding for many years . When looking to acquire a puppy myself recently I had a good look around all over the place to see just who was doing what and I found a couple of very odd things going on. I have 'taken action' on the things I found in a number of ways and at least one other breeder friend of mine having been told about it is doing the same.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post

I'm afraid I have little faith in the breed clubs. Taking for example the BBC programme, you had the CKCS club defending the breeder knowingly breeding from a dog with SM. The Rodesian Ridgeback club only rethinking the cull on ridgeless pups once the KC due to media attention asked them to remove their cull policy from their website. The head of the Basset club saying he would never breed a dog like the one shown to him in the photo - what never breed a healthy basset?? he would rather have their stomachs rubbing along the floor and so much skin they'll suffer with extreme bouts of dermatitis. Sorry it just makes me so angry, why are people shutting their eyes.
This is centrally where the problems lay. what checks(if any) are they doing?
breed stud books will reveal all the inter breeding.

there is one point that keeps cropping up and thats MONEY.
wether its the breeders or the KC, it all boils down to this one point.

until dogs become an animal in their own right and not a comoditity then unfortunately this will continue to be a money making business . BUT, i do think thing are now starting to be done, baby steps for now but at least its a start.

i for one, am still angry about what this programme highlighted and i'm trying not to become too emotional about what i write without getting banned.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
They also showed very "old school" breeders with regard to the RR's..
WHo are very set in their ways and don't do change
True, and who have considerable influence due to the apprenticeship nature of breeding.....years of experience is crucial ....but only if one is doing the right thing. It is no longer a substitute for improving one's knowledge.

Mary
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 10:48 PM
I like what this guy stands for Amnon Ben Izhak; International Working German Shepherd Dog Club in Israel
The goals of the club:

1. To breed German shepherd dogs that are true in character, health and performance.

2. To promote and encourage work with the German shepherd.

3. To encourage private owners of German shepherds to work with their dogs.

4. To educate to correct, trustworthy and honest cynology.

5. To define an international language relating to character and conformation. Therefore, I have developed a ranking that includes the important temperament characteristics and drives, and a scale to describe the degrees precisely.

6. Refreshing of blood lines in the breed.

7. Competitions.

8. Registration of German shepherd dogs in one stud book.

9. International cooperation for the promotion of the breed.

Amateurs or professionals – if you agree with my opinions and want to be part of the most important cynological process in the last hundred years, I call to you to join us.
http://dog.co.il/gsdnew/gsdnew/iwgsdc.htm

I have been sent an excellent article by him published in Das Schaferhund Magazin in German & English if any one wants a copy send me your email address. Amnon's Breeding Selection Test (ABST)
Pam
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-08-2008, 10:55 PM
So have there been any changes since?

Any more statements from the KC?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

Not that i know of. I emailed them and still haven't had a reply. Not even a confirmation that the email was recieved.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

31-08-2008, 01:44 PM
What did you say in your email?
cambkite
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
To be fair the majority haven't, but people can be quick to forget that that programme showed a small selection of the worst breeders on Earth, but that doesn't mean we're all like that.
Whilst I would agree that there are many issues which need addressing,it is worth noting that, as there are breeders who will breed just to make money, there are journalists who have the same motivation.I firmly believe that the vast majority of posters on this forum could depicted as uncaring and despicable by the journalists who made this programme, even though they are nothing of the sort.

Remember the green cross code. STOP, LOOK< LISTEN

It is so easy to fire up a lynch mob in this country that reasoned arguement rarely gets a look in

She turned me into a newt
( Monty Python)
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

http://www.webchats.tv/chats/Petcare...nnelcluborguk/
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2008, 11:33 AM
http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com...o-is-liar.html

Ms. Caroline Kisko of The Kennel Club is a liar, and she's not even a very clever or smart liar -- merely a blatant and bold one.

But don't take my word for it. You can read The Kennel Club's own web site and find the results of their own breeder's survey (PDF).

In that survey The Kennel Club notes that "Health information was reported for 36,006 live dogs, of which 22,540 (62.6%) were healthy, and 13,466 (37.4%) had at least one reported health condition."

More than 37% of dogs had "at least one" health condition???

Wow!

When you consider that the average age of the dogs in question (healthy and unhealthy dogs combined) was just 5 years old, what you are looking at here is an extraordinary level of disease, deformity, and misery in Kennel Club dogs.

But apparently, Ms Caroline Kisko does not care about that truth.

No, she is paid to do a job, and never mind the dogs. She has been given her marching orders.

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com...covenient.html
Page 41 of 65 « First < 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 51 > Last »