Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
The chances of being thrown from a car are higher than the car setting fire though - otherwise seatbelts for humans wouldn't make sense either. It's not my imagination running wild, it's fact - just google to find a ton of articles of people being thrown from their vehicle during crashes due to no seatbelts. I've been in 2 car crashes where other people hit into cars I was passenger in, and one where I was driver, and in all 3, I bet if I didn't have my seatbelt on I would've been a lot more severely injured. Crash one, I would've smacked at a good speed into the passenger seat infront of me (potentially harming them too), 2nd I probably would've gone through the windscreen as the impact was that bad, and 3rd I would've been flung sideways (as my car was spun across two lanes) - as it was, I clunked my head on the side window. Yes, a bit of imagination required to picture a dog in those situations but not very much needed to predict the outcome if the dog wasn't restrained, they probably would've followed my same path.
Statistics prove this quote is right - and on our local radio and tv news in the last 10 days there have been reports of dogs escaping onto the motorways after the cars they were travelling in were involved in accidents and the dogs were not secured; luckily and miraculously the dogs were retrieved safely but not before havoc was caused on the major motorway during rush hour between Southampton and Portsmouth (which is bad enough at rush hour) and taking up more Police manpower and time than needed just for an accident.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2010, 09:16 AM
when i loooked at the new posts lists last few days i thought wow, 350 posts on dogs hanging out car windows..... its just gotta be a good ole fashioned dogsey housewife row

dog seat belts being a challenge for firemen.....surely that's the same for any seat belts???
would firemen advise we dont use them ....ummm, tough one that
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 02:12 AM
The chances of being thrown from a car are higher than the car setting fire though
Yip and I never posted the chances would be higher from a fire
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

dog seat belts being a challenge for firemen..
Afraid the Fireman would not be challenged if the car was on fire as probably by the time they got there dog would be burnt so I did not mean harnesses stop the fireman rescueing the dog
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
Yip and I never posted the chances would be higher from a fire
But your post insinuated that the difficulty of released a harnessed/restrained dog from a car that's on fire would make it dangerous to restrain them - yes, that may be the case, but the chance of an impact flinging a dog to its death is higher than a dog being trapped and burning to its death, so I've weighed up the risks and decided to restrain my dogs.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Afraid the Fireman would not be challenged if the car was on fire as probably by the time they got there dog would be burnt so I did not mean harnesses stop the fireman rescueing the dog
then whats the point of the point?

i had a girlfriend whom was a nurse once (i think it was 2.15 thru 2.18 pm 28/10/1979) whom told me have you tried giving mouth to mouth to someone wearing a gas mask, so maybe its better to not wear a gas mask and risk death from chemical warfare, just in case i choke from a peanut.

mind you, if their was a chem warfare attack, the chances of the nurse being able to perform CPR and the patient recovering from a peanut attack is negligible anyway.

so i just dont know why i bought it up.....goddam those darn pesky peanuts!

im just off to watch jeremy kyle.....
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 08:20 AM
But your post insinuated that the difficulty of released a harnessed/restrained dog from a car that's on fire would make it dangerous to restrain them - yes, that may be the case, but the chance of an impact flinging a dog to its death is higher than a dog being trapped and burning to its death, so I've weighed up the risks and decided to restrain my dogs.
Yip and that is your choice.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Yip and that is your choice.
Just like it's BYBs' choice to pump out puppies like a toy factory, an owner's choice to feed their dog rubbish/not walk them, a vet's choice to charge a fortune for bad advice, etc. - everything in life is someone's choice but if we all rolled over and never questioned anything, the animal welfare act certainly wouldn't be what it is now, there wouldn't be such a range of good quality pet food, vet prices would be extortionate and pets going without treatment because no one spoke out. The whole point of a debate is to present an argument for the opposite view in the hope people will read the facts and perhaps accept a different opinion to their original one - otherwise why bother posting your view in the first place? I like to question things, challenge people's views, etc in the hope that someone's opinion will change for the better - even if it's my own. I haven't said to anyone "Omg, ur the worlds worst owner!111" because of their opinion but I do firmly believe that dogs should be restrained and I've tried to explain why so others on the fence can make up their mind too.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 06:36 PM
The whole point of a debate is to present an argument for the opposite view in the hope people will read the facts and perhaps accept a different opinion to their original one - otherwise why bother posting your view in the first place? I like to question things, challenge people's views, etc in the hope that someone's opinion will change for the better
We all live in hope at times lol I have owned dogs for over 25 years and have always travelled the way I have. When I drive up and down a Motorway to a Show I sometimes have 3 Adults and approx. 5-6 dogs in my car. My choice of restraining suits me fine. No one should be made to accept another opinion especially when they are being told they are bad owners etc.... by not considering the safety of their dogs.
This Thread started with a dog hanging out of a window and members professions got brought into it lol
I am a nurse and have been for 30 years. I work on a Stroke Unit and I smoke, I know the risks but my choice. Ooops I also eat high fat content foods so Cholestrol will be sky high as well lol But its my choice so I live with that
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Well I just think that people sometimes undervalue their dogs - some dogs cost a lot of money and some cost a lot less, but it isn't just the money side. We adore our dogs and if we had been given them free or paid £100's of pounds for them we would still protect them the same way - as safely as possible when out walking, with their food, in the cars, etc.etc. We do what we think is responsible as dog owners and what other people do is up to them and their consciences - all I ask is that should the worst happen they don't come on here bleating Woe is me and expecting sympathy!
Page 40 of 49 « First < 30 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 > Last »