Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by fluffybunnyfeet View Post
Well my Dobes are from well established and long lines of pedigree, seeing the dogs makes no difference to that fact. But I would argue that a Doberman is in fact a designer crossbred, as are many pedigree dogs. The KC's acceptance of a breed defines that, if Labradoodles or the like are accepted they are no longer termed as muts or mongrels because the all seeing and all knowing KC said so.

Does that make it right and so?
They arent and are not likely to be.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
They arent and are not likely to be.
Hey never say never... After this programme the KC may have to seriously rethink all sorts of things about it's policies... You may be seeing a Labradoodle Best in show yet...

*hides*
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Hey never say never... After this programme the KC may have to seriously rethink all sorts of things about it's policies... You may be seeing a Labradoodle Best in show yet...

*hides*
you'll give me nightmares you will!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 12:59 AM
imagines Borderdawn tossing and turning chased round the crufts ring my Labradoodles, Cockerpoos, Dobydachsies and Jack Shi tz
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Well I guess I own a designer dog, so am far too 'gullible' to pass comment. But, you know what.. I believed it, so there you go. I have seen some of these practices first hand. Jackjack's breeder justified his being in a rabbit hutch with another dog in her yard as "just heartbreaking, but I just couldn't bear to drown him." She has rosettes coming out of her behind!

So someone has opened the door and shed some light on the weird freak show that is the best of breed ring at Crufts... well good! About time. I hope it doesn't destroy the good things that the KC stand for or the great community flyball and agility trials and the trade stands and all the good stuff. But come on... Anyone who has tried to source a good healthy dog of any breed and has really done their home work and has visited and turned down a couple of litters, knew what was going on behind those kennel doors. But what could we do? Apart from not buy the poor puppy and call the RSPCA, or do buy the poor puppy and nurse it through the epilepsy and the HD and the blood disorder.

I like Crufts. I like the pomp and ceremony and long may it reign. But things have got to change and if cages need to be rattled then lets rattle them and if light needs to be shone into the darkness then lets carry some torches and if silence has allowed these people to continue their appalling practices, well then lets shout it from the rooftops... No MORE!!!

*puts soap box away and steps down...*
As far as I am aware no one has said that any of the breeders or dogs shown on the programme were fabricated. To those that show, we all know of someone in our breed or others that are not desirable and I do think that more should be done. Whilst I do not expect the KC to carry all of the burden, I do think we could take larger steps forward, where tests can be carried out on breeds then these should be a condition of registration with the KC or rather any offspring.
Whilst I appreciate that some do not like showing I do think to refer to the showring as a freak show rather insulting. I would ask what contributions that these people have made to breed health. There are many people that have been in their respective breeds for decades and have financially supported the health improvement of these breeds worldwide. Whilst i understand that the programme was only an hour long it was just so predicatable in the breeds it picked out. Take these breeds away from all the breeds worldwide and it is a very small percentage indeed. Don't get me wrong though I do think that some of the breeds that were focused on in the programme do need turning around. I would agree to breed for exageration and vanity forsaking the health of the dog is completely wrong.
It was just such a shame that none of the breeds that have improved in heath were not focused, but as I have said before that wouldn't have made good tv.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by dogmarley View Post
The end of crufts and about time i should think....

Freak show of dogs, UTTER CRUELTY!!!!
Dream on Sunshine

BTW what health tests did the parents of your "designer"mongrel have done before being bred from ? What is their DNA status ? What tests have you had done on your dog ??

As for freak show How can KCGC be a freak show ?

Crufts was in existence long before the BBC was & will continue after the BBC-whose coverage recently has been a load of the stuff that appears out of the rear of a bovine male !
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-08-2008, 05:59 AM
The programme was gutter journalism of he worst kind. Find a couple of extreme examples and then claim that they are typical, rather than extreme.

The most worrying thing for me was the constantly repeated claim that mongrels/crossbreeds are more healthy than pedigrees. How on earth can they justify such a statement? Where is the scientific proof? If Jack the Chav breeds his puppy farm Staffie to the puppy farm Boxer down the road and the pups are born sickly or with serious health problems or physical deformities, he sticks them in a black sack and chucks them in the canal. A good pedigree breeder will take sickly pups to a vet and have the pups humanely PTS and an autopsy done to establish the cause of the problem. Result - the sick pedigree pups appear on official stats, the mongrels don't. The Statistics are fatally skewed.

Of course some breeds have been over-exaggerated to the detriment of the dogs' health, and the KC and breeders have been trying to do something about that, but it is a slow process and, after all, the KC has no actual power over breeders, only influence. If the RSPCA is serious about animal welfare (as opposed to being serious about becoming a political force) it would work with the Kennel Club, not against it.

TBH I don't think Crufts will suffer much if the BBC stops televising it and at least we won't have to endure Peter Purves rabbitting on.

Mick
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 06:20 AM
What a load of rubbish and as others have said totally biased! I dare say alot of you are watching the olympics? well guess what, there'll be people in those sports who are every bit as bad as the people shown in the programme tonight! Yet I don't hear anyone say "ooo lets not watch the cycling because mrs so and so down the street pushes her kid to hard" or even "hey look they got a gold medal but we won't be proud of the fact because they've been banned previously for refusing drug tests!"

Yes it would be a shame if the BBC didnt show the crufts coverage, it would mean i'd have to go to the venue every day Crufts isnt going to end and for those who implied it wouldnt go ahead due to lack of funding due to no coverage - have you seen the size of the event? coverage or no coverage Crufts will carry on and the door numbers will go up!

Given the choice between an established breeder with good lines and all the relevent health tests, or a designer mutt from someone with no idea and no health tests? come off it! The programme was a waste of time it would have been better off focussing on which breeds have been turned around and positivity to educate joe public. Yes there are problems with some breeders in dogs but that programme isnt going to change anything.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by Kicks View Post
What a load of rubbish and as others have said totally biased! I dare say alot of you are watching the olympics? well guess what, there'll be people in those sports who are every bit as bad as the people shown in the programme tonight! Yet I don't hear anyone say "ooo lets not watch the cycling because mrs so and so down the street pushes her kid to hard" or even "hey look they got a gold medal but we won't be proud of the fact because they've been banned previously for refusing drug tests!"

Yes it would be a shame if the BBC didnt show the crufts coverage, it would mean i'd have to go to the venue every day Crufts isnt going to end and for those who implied it wouldnt go ahead due to lack of funding due to no coverage - have you seen the size of the event? coverage or no coverage Crufts will carry on and the door numbers will go up!

Given the choice between an established breeder with good lines and all the relevent health tests, or a designer mutt from someone with no idea and no health tests? come off it! The programme was a waste of time it would have been better off focussing on which breeds have been turned around and positivity to educate joe public. Yes there are problems with some breeders in dogs but that programme isnt going to change anything.

Crufts would suffer if the tv coverage was pulled. Sponsorship monies would also go down as a company are not going to want to spend large sums of money for its logo/product just to be seen at the venue and a few media ads. If the bbc do pull (cant see it happening yet) and the coverage is not picked up for a similar price(unlikely due to veiwing figures) it will shrink in size.

It has happen in differet sports over the years, where tv coverage has been pulled and the sport has suffered. Dog showing imo is no different.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Crufts would suffer if the tv coverage was pulled. Sponsorship monies would also go down as a company are not going to want to spend large sums of money for its logo/product just to be seen at the venue and a few media ads. If the bbc do pull (cant see it happening yet) and the coverage is not picked up for a similar price(unlikely due to veiwing figures) it will shrink in size.

It has happen in differet sports over the years, where tv coverage has been pulled and the sport has suffered. Dog showing imo is no different.
I agree - look at Scottish Football
Page 4 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »