Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I find it unacceptable because they are sentient beings, being able to feel pain and sense many things that humans can.
Do you agree that animals can feel pain as we humans can?
Rats can too, most people have no issue poisoning them though!

Animals do feel pain, but Im not sure in the same way we do no. I know that women that have hysterectomy's cant get up within a few hours and be back to normal in a few days like a Dog can, same goes for much surgery type issues with animals, they heal quicker. I also dont think they feel pain in a similar sense to us in as much as they continue with life with serious injuries which in many apparently do not bother them, Dogs like Pit Bulls fight and fight and dont stop despite being ripped to bits, so the answer to your question is, IMO, no animals do not feel pain in the same way humans do.

Apologies for late reply, been out all day.
Dawn.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-08-2008, 10:35 PM
UK, Ireland.. I always get muddled up on that
2 out of 9? I didn't realize it was that bad I hope thats not representative of all breeders. Wouldn't be surprised though it can't be anything more than a puppy farm.
What makes you think that they have a running rather than a chase instinct? just curious i would have thought that they'd retain the instinct to chase form when they were hunting dogs, though I guess that could be down to more bad breeding. it took me three months just to teach Jobie a touch command so I wouldn't be surprised that it took a year, especially if you have 40 odd dogs to look after in the meantime. Then again I think Jobie's probably walked into a few too many lamposts so maybe it's just him or maybe it's more to do with building them up? It'd be interesting to see a racing bred pup grown up in a home environment and whether the lack of encouragement to chase affects their prey drive or not.
It must have been about a year ago now, maybe just over... It's odd, I can't find any reference to it online. I remember we got blind Katy and boy called Pedro. I think one of the other dogs was run over and either one or two were never found I've still got their pictures, they were both lovely dogs.

I'm definitely not a fan of hunting and the like but I have to say I wish we'd had some terriers about when we had a rat problem at college. I'm not fond of the wild ones because they kept stealing all the rabbit and guinea pig's food (and ate one of the guinea pigs ) but I wouldn't wish them to suffer and I'm sure they did with the poison. it would have been nice if they were dispatched in a more natural way. In fact I've no doubt they suffered even more than I did when I had to shovel a long dead one up out of the wallaby shed well I guess the wallabies suffered the most having such a smelly roommate..
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Which brings me back to the question - do you think greyhounds should be forced to perform simply to supply a betting medium for gamblers?
I am not questioning whether some dogs should be used for work.
Well to answer the actual question - the best I can

Greyhounds are not forced - the ones who do it do it cos they love it - it is the most natural thing in the world for them
I have problems with the way some breeders and trainers operate - and that should be stamped down on

Basically I pretty much feel that humans should not make money out of life - because money corrupts people and bad things happen to the things they are making money out of - so they can make more money out of it

But I dont think the racing will be stopped

If the question was do I think things should be changed in the racing world -- YES (and I know v little about it)

But as the question stands - should greyhounds be forced to run
they arnt
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 09:16 AM
The main problem i have with greyhound racing is the lack of conformity and standards. The way unwanted greyhounds are disposed of is a disgrace both in the UK and Ireland, and breeders or trainers with unethical or cruel methods should be banned from the sport full stop.

As for racing as a whole i am not against it, it just needs to be cleaned up and geared so the dogs well being and welfare have a higher prioty (sp?) then it currently does. We used to have a ex TB race horse and there was no doubt he loved to run. Any stretch of open field and it was a case of hold on and hope! The same goes for my lurcher, we were walking in fields we work in the autum and winter. As soon as we got out the car she was trembling with excitment and wanted to run and chase.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2008, 02:25 PM
An all parliamentary group enquiry for into greyhound welfare concluded at least 50% of greyhounds bred in the UK are killed because they wont chase.
If all greyhounds had the innate desire to 'chase' then we would never see a greyhound without a muzzle in open space for fear they would 'chase' the nearest smallest creature.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Rats can too, most people have no issue poisoning them though!

Animals do feel pain, but Im not sure in the same way we do no. I know that women that have hysterectomy's cant get up within a few hours and be back to normal in a few days like a Dog can, same goes for much surgery type issues with animals, they heal quicker. I also dont think they feel pain in a similar sense to us in as much as they continue with life with serious injuries which in many apparently do not bother them, Dogs like Pit Bulls fight and fight and dont stop despite being ripped to bits, so the answer to your question is, IMO, no animals do not feel pain in the same way humans do.

Apologies for late reply, been out all day.
Dawn.

Borderdawn
Do you not think it is a case of animals being able to feel pain in the exactly the same way as humans but animals just cant express the pain as we humans can?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Borderdawn
Do you not think it is a case of animals being able to feel pain in the exactly the same way as humans but animals just cant express the pain as we humans can?
No I dont think so Jodie, not in my experience anyway.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2008, 08:14 PM
'Dogs like Pit Bulls fight and fight and dont stop despite being ripped to bits, so the answer to your question is, IMO, no animals do not feel pain in the same way humans do'

Just like boxers or aggressive humans fight each other?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 08:36 PM
'Dogs like Pit Bulls fight and fight and dont stop despite being ripped to bits, so the answer to your question is, IMO, no animals do not feel pain in the same way humans do'

Just like boxers or aggressive humans fight each other?
No not at all. If a human is ripped open, they do not get up and continue, they cannot, Dogs do. A human with a broken leg will not continue about his business, he will seek help. Animals cannot go to the hospital and are not capable of thinking like us, they carry on. Severly injured dogs are frequently seen in poorer countries (and here) yet they still go round being dogs, we would just shrivel up!

There is a Deer by us with a withered leg that flaps about in the breeze, doesnt stop him doing everything he should do though and will still jump the fences that surround the field, he's been like it for ages and ages, can you see a human doing this? I cant personally.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

05-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yes , just read it... one dog does not mean the breed does not have an innated desire to chase/run.... some do , some are not as good as others... those who dont , are not raced.... but it is in all dogs to chase...
No that’s right they are not raced – they all go home and sleep all day on a comfy sofa and yes I will roll my eyes because anyone who finds it believable or that its acceptable that those who cannot or will not do the job they are supposedly bred for should be culled, either humanely or not are not IMO dog lovers. What was your breed bred to do – does yours do it? If not why have you not had them killed?

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No not at all. If a human is ripped open, they do not get up and continue, they cannot, Dogs do. A human with a broken leg will not continue about his business, he will seek help. Animals cannot go to the hospital and are not capable of thinking like us, they carry on. Severly injured dogs are frequently seen in poorer countries (and here) yet they still go round being dogs, we would just shrivel up!

There is a Deer by us with a withered leg that flaps about in the breeze, doesnt stop him doing everything he should do though and will still jump the fences that surround the field, he's been like it for ages and ages, can you see a human doing this? I cant personally.
Oh Dawn you’ve never owned a greyhound that’s for sure! The slightiest knock on one of mine and she is rolling on the floor like a football player screaming as if she’s mortally wounded! My other grey got very depressed because she had a e-collar on for her wounded eye! No they don’t feel pain like humans – they feel it much worse according to them anyway!

Just because they cannot express the pain does not mean they do not feel it ! Im sure if they could go and get pain relief they would just because they cannot does not mean they do not feel it.

Can I ask then if one of yours gets injured do you just let it get on with it? Do you never seek vets advise or medical help for them? Do you refuse pain relief for them?

Of course humans would not shrivel up in those circumstance – have you actually seen those 100mtr runners with no legs? They still go about their business and continue to live full lives and quite frankly its very condescending of you to say that humans who have lost limbs, gone blind etc would just shrivel up! My niece has cerebral palsy which affects her leg how dare you say she would just shrivel up! Someone round here may lose the use of her arm – do you think they will shrivel up – NO they will not!

Back to the topic – no I do not believe any animal should be exploited for human profit – to me greyhound racing is the same as going to the circus, dancing bears and performing dolphins – not my cup of tea at all.

Also regarding your terriers – I presume you dump them once they are too old to continue to do the work you want them to do, or do you just take them to the bloke down the road to smack them over the head with a shovel?

Yes some greyhounds love to run doesn’t any dog? However, greyhounds do have to be trained to leave the traps as quickly as possible – mine still has the scars to prove how she was trained to do just that!

I just wish those people who think greyhound racing is all lovely and smells of roses would realise it isn’t at least for the dogs anyway – but then again what does it matter because it seems to me that here greyhounds are not actual dogs but some other species that are not anywhere near as important as other breeds.

Again for people who think its all fine – I take it you do not have a problem with puppy farmers then? They are just the same as greyhound breeders – churn out loads of pups and don’t give a damn where they end up – ok tarring all with the same brush but those who do care are few and far between and also turn a blind eye to those who don’t. They overbreed these dogs knowing full well not all will make it to the track, those that do will have a short working life and once finished there are nowhere near enough places in rescues to cope with them. To me exactly the same as a puppy farmer.

Sorry about the long response to this thread but my time is limited on the computer so tend to do it all at once.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >