View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
puppydog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Always good talking about it, why not try to start a charity or sponsered walk etc for this cause if you are so passionate about it?

There are 1000's of charities desperate for donations and help, they will help you set up any form of sponsered event you wish..

I think you'll find that there is money 'ploughed' in to re-homing etc, but not every animal is able to be re-homed for so many more reasons than they have been abused..

You got me started now!!!!!!! The worse form of abuse I ever saw in the lightest way of abuse (if that makes sense, not to compare it to beating, shot for not winning etc) is that of a lady who owned 2 horses in the next village to me. Co-incidently I knew of these horses many years ago when they were used for hunting and competing etc.. Now, at retirment age they were given/loaned to this lady to look after.. I was in the yard of where they were kept, helping another lady bandage an injury on her horse so I went to have a look at them......... They were in such a mess, one had peadleostisos (not sure on spelling) which is where the peadle bone drops through the wall of the foot and basically the pain the horse would have endured just walking is non explainable, the other was just crippled from arthritis and had lost the site in one eye.. Now I was informed that the lady in question paid out a fortune to the vets every month to keep them alive?

What I have descibed is only the surface of the condition of those sad, sad horses.. Now to me that is abuse at one of its worst.. She was keeping them alive for her own grieving process and not for the welfare of the horses..

I did do something about it, I contacted the vet and told them that I was getting the ILPH involved and I also spoke with the owner.. It wasn't a money industry but I could not walk out of that yard and let those horses suffer for the need of the womans loving them!

I hear so many people talk about cruelty and how shocking it is, but do nothing about it! Me often being one of them, so I am not preaching but boy did I feel good the horses were saved from sheer misery. The horses were put down and no longer in god awful pain.

It is very easy to attack animal sport but often we need to look on our own doorsteps..
Blimey! You can tell i'm sexually frustrated can't you!:smt026
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lel
Why do these people not plough some money into rehoming the dogs instead of killing them?
Lel in an ideal world these dogs would get rehomed but look at how many dogs have to get put down every week there just are not the homes there to cope with any more ...personally i have the greatest respect for everybody that takes on a rescue dog its not something i would consider doing because i always like to rear any dog i get from a pup ,but in my own way i do contribute to rescue dogs by donating to a local rescue centre and to dogs trust both get £10 pounds a month by direct debit not much but at least its something (i flatly refuse to give the RSPCA anything at all).
I have a friend that has kept racing greyhounlds for a long time ,now make no mistake the dogs are well cared for but when he has finished with them he PTS because 2 reasons they will go after small animals in a pet situation and also because a lot of greyhounds get a condition called exertional myopathy(sp) whitch leads to severe kidney problems and its only comes out in dogs that become unfit ,he was explaining this to me today make no mistake this guy does love his dogs but he thinks he is being very responsable by PTS the dogs when hes finished with them
At the end of the day all working dog reach an age were they can no longer do the job they were bred for be it foxhounds ,gundogs ,snifferdogs or blind guidedogs and have to retire and not all of them are going to find homes even today in the paper the police are looking to rehome 58 of their dogs the reason being they are relocating their training centre closer to were people live and reckon there will be a kickup about the noise the dogs will make by the locals
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Lel.
There are hundreds of people and breed specific organisations dedicated to rehoming Greyhounds. Thing is you cannot TELL people what dog they must have it is their choice. You chose to buy yous Staffies because its what you wanted, there was nothing stopping you rehoming a Greyhound instead was there? We cannot take away peoples choice, i don't want anybody telling me what breed of dog I can and cannot have, i'm sure you don't either. People on some rescue boards have been known to dictate such things to people wanting a dog, they succeed only in alienating that person and driving them away from rescue altogether.

Whilst I love Greyhounds, and I dare say I will have one of my own at some point, I do not feel obliged to rehome a dog that I do not want at present.
Dawn.
puppydog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Couldn't have put it better Borderdawn!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Whilst I recognise the point you are trying to make, I think a lot of it comes to misunderstandings about the breed themselves . Many people wouldnt think of a greyhound due to not knowing much about them or misunderstandign their emperament. There are many lovely greyhounds around me locally and whilst a few are muzzled and kept on lead many run free and are friendly with the other dogs in the park.

Many people will not think of a greyound as think they needs tonnes and tonnes of exercise or that they arent affectionate etc etc. its like with staffies - many people think they are child eaters etc etc -

If more people were allowed to meet them etc more poeple would rehome. I know that every year at the funday at wester hailes for the staffie show - a greyhound charity comes with their greyhnound so that you can meet etc etc,. This greyhound sits in a room full of mad staffies and just watches the world go by - lovely dog and it is an ex racer. So whilst you cant force people to take on a breed - many people dont know what said breed is like or are misinformed about that breed.

MInty - I have to say I still dont agree with the dogs getting PTS - more money shoudl be put towards getting the right owner for them - at the end of the day any dog can get health problems but every dog also has a right to live and I just cant understand your friend putting them to sleep. Just my opinion but I cant bear healthy animals being destroyed.

dani
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 09:27 PM
There are *many* greyhound rescues out - just wondered why those that support the breed and the sport dont try to help them after their racing days ?
puppydog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by BRUNDOG
Whilst I recognise the point you are trying to make, I think a lot of it comes to misunderstandings about the breed themselves . Many people wouldnt think of a greyhound due to not knowing much about them or misunderstandign their emperament. There are many lovely greyhounds around me locally and whilst a few are muzzled and kept on lead many run free and are friendly with the other dogs in the park.

Many people will not think of a greyound as think they needs tonnes and tonnes of exercise or that they arent affectionate etc etc. its like with staffies - many people think they are child eaters etc etc -

If more people were allowed to meet them etc more poeple would rehome. I know that every year at the funday at wester hailes for the staffie show - a greyhound charity comes with their greyhnound so that you can meet etc etc,. This greyhound sits in a room full of mad staffies and just watches the world go by - lovely dog and it is an ex racer. So whilst you cant force people to take on a breed - many people dont know what said breed is like or are misinformed about that breed.

MInty - I have to say I still dont agree with the dogs getting PTS - more money shoudl be put towards getting the right owner for them - at the end of the day any dog can get health problems but every dog also has a right to live and I just cant understand your friend putting them to sleep. Just my opinion but I cant bear healthy animals being destroyed.

dani
I have to withdraw from this debate as again, it's ok saying what your saying, but why after meeting and seeing greyhounds/whippets etc why do you own a staffy? I have never experienced people saying that they are child killers, having owned and fostered them, what staffy's where created for was fighting other dog's.. Not people!

I have, as you know a Rottie and people cross the road when he bounds towards them! He is softer than my 'sausage dog!' but renowned for being an aggressive human killing animal!

I have a lot of friends that own dogs and I find it boils down to what it looks like! It is the same as an attraction to a car, house, shoe's, many people are not attracted to Greyhounds/whippets, Collies - another interesting point! Do you know how many Collies/Sheepdogs are put down on the farm cause they don't work the sheep! I chose a Rottie and a Dachshund because they appealed to me.. One want's to have this debate! Go re-home a Greyhound or rejected sporting dog..

Sure I have spurred a reply but I cannot come back to this debate..
Not throwing my dummy, and against just as much cruelty as you, but this 'keep all dogs alive because they can be re-homed' is in my opinion ignorant!
Only my opinion and I hope we can chat freeley and friendly in other topics x x
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Hi Dani i dont say that i agree with the PTS but just quoting what he told me and that he thinks he is being responsable doing it that way rather than pass the problem on to somebody else ,and as we all know there is a big problem with homeless and discarded dogs and thousand are getting put to sleep each year and they are getting PTS because of money probs ,and not everybody can afford to donate or have the time to help rescues mores the pity also so if we have the likes of the police force looking to rehome dogs and not keep their discared/retired dogs with all their financal resorces what hope is there for anybody alse
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 09:49 PM
If a dog has done its best for you - then do you not owe it something back in return ?
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lel
If a dog has done its best for you - then do you not owe it something back in return ?
yes Lel i agree with you and have kept all my dogs until the end but a lot of people do get rid of there dogs be it working or show to replace it with something else some do it responsabley and others do it the first chance they get ,i homed a litter of 5 staffords in January for a fellow who had personel probs and have just been phoned tonight and asked could i take a bitch pup back because the couple have split up ..of course i have said yes and will be getting it back tomorrow and have to rehome it
Page 4 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »