View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Those look ok, color-wise, Laura. The length...phew.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 07:02 AM
Yep I know *hangs her head in shame* lol. I think they will just get trimmed I am taking her in at 3pm today, she has long shaped feet, toes & nails anyway but yes they are too long.

Laura
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Laura if you get them trimmed today, you can then keep them in check with a file from now on
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 07:37 AM
colour wise I would say OK, length wise def too long, looking at the picture, the quick looks a fair distance from the tips, so you should be able to trim back, then keep on top by filing, I did hear (but dont know if it is true) that the more often you slightly trimthe nailes the quick dies at little at the end, therefore the more often you do them the further back you can go when trimming?

Mo
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by mo
colour wise I would say OK, length wise def too long, looking at the picture, the quick looks a fair distance from the tips, so you should be able to trim back, then keep on top by filing, I did hear (but dont know if it is true) that the more often you slightly trimthe nailes the quick dies at little at the end, therefore the more often you do them the further back you can go when trimming?

Mo
Mo I was taught that too..the quick 'retreats' ,also if you do the nails regularly it never comes down far For dogs on soft ground little and often
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Well I never had a problem with them being really long before though like I said her nails have always been, like her feet, slightly long. A lot of the work I do with her is roadwork and biking along a concrete path and I think this kept them down but as I havent done as much over the winter I am guessing that is why they have grown.

Laura
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi Laura,
Going bt the photo Cassy has hare feet, which to most people who exercise their dogs strongly is a good thing, the longer nails assist when cornering at pace, and they don't seem as prone to injury as those with cat like feet, stubbed toes ect. If you take the nail to far back it will not connect with the ground, I think her feet are fine and as I said preferable to cat feet.
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Laura...

Just see what the vet says...no worries. Like the above...the more you trim or file, the more the quick will recede, allowing you to make them shorter each time. I dremmil about 2x a week. Dudley's nails grow like weeds and if I don't keep up with them they'd look just the same. In fact, when I got him, they were so long they were curling under. Luckily, the quick was still far enough back that I could at least trim them to just look 'long' instead of outrageous.

Good luck at the vet today!
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Good luck with the vets ... poor Cass ... my 2 hate having thier claws done and it isn't done very often... usually when they scratch me I'll notice they're needing trimmed... as for the discolouration Bosun has some white Claws and a couple of them have that discolouration at the base I just thought it was down to him being a dirty wee bisum
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Thank you Housedog, Mr Spock & Kirstie. The more I look at them the more inclined I am to go with what HD has said but the vet will tell either way. I think I am being over cautious because of the dew claw was ripped out just last month and the cut pad, am probably looking for things that are not there....due to go in ½ an hour so will tell you later how I go. Thanks for all the advice
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >