View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 07:23 AM
I know that there was recalls a while ago, If you google you would find more info and provides batch numbers ect.

Thinking of you xxx
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 07:27 AM
To add you could contact the breed club to see if they can offer any insight.

xxxx
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 08:47 AM
I am sorry for your loss, wait and see what they find but I would contact the breeder to let them know what is happen,
they might be able to think of something
run free at the bridge little one
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi Lou , so very sorry to hear about your puppy. I hope you don't mind if I make a couple of observations, I appreciate saying this now is not much help to you though it may help others who find themselves in a similar position

You don't say how old the puppy was, I am guessing it was quite young
.. you do say ''
I started to wean him off his normal food by gradually adding the new food which was royal canin'' which rather indicates food allergy was not involved in this instance because it would surely have become apparent earlier when the food was first introduced.

You also say ''he was gasping and collapsed. I tried everything i could to get the food out of his mouth and he did eventually start to breath but it was very laboured.''
..my first thought would be that your puppy inhaled a piece of food which went into the lungs instead of the down the throat. This type of thing sometimes happens when small children are given peanuts:
Children may accidentally inhale food when they laugh or talk as they eat, or when they eat while lying down. Young children are still not able to coordinate their swallowing mechanism well. The commonest food item being inhaled is the peanut. Never allow your young child to eat or play with peanuts.
Inhaled objects or food can cause partial or complete obstruction of the windpipe. Urgent medical attention is necessary. If your infant turns blue or becomes unconscious soon after choking, call for help.
.. .. puppies sometimes choke because they try to eat too quicky, this is why it is best never to never leave the room while a small puppy is eating.

There is a chance your puppy already had a tummy problem if it was passing blood before you changed the food. This may have been better treated with a bland diet of rice and chicken rather than a change to another dried food,
Wish there was more we could do to help, such a sad situation...xxx
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 09:57 AM
I am so sorry for your loss xx
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 10:04 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, run free little one xxx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your loss Hopefully the autopsy will give you some answers as to why it happened and help deal with your grief.

I agree both about contacting the breeder and waiting until the autopsy before speaking to the food manufacturer.

Big hugs to you, RIP little one xxxx
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 02:08 PM
So sorry to hear about this

I hope you don't mind me asking, where were the breeders based?
sharkbait556
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi guys, no news on the autopsy as yet but it should be within the next few days. I am still really down at the moment and the house seems so quiet without him.

Just to answer a couple of answers to questions yes he was only a baby, just over 13 weeks and we travelled from sheffield to sommerset to get him.

I only had him 3 weeks but i miss him so much, he followed me everywhere like a little lost sheep

Thanks again you guys, I will let you know the results as soon as i get them xx
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-02-2008, 10:58 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss.

Maybe the autopsy may shed some light on what happened. I was told that Bulldogs often suffer from trachea problems and likewise many short nosed breeds with upper airway problems.

My OH mum has two Boxers and one has problems with eating even though it is 4 years old due to a trachea problem and has to have an elevated bowl otherwise he chokes and cannot swallow.

So sad to loose a young pup this way.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >