View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I hate prong collars - however, there is a thought that they are kinder than choke chains because they hurt.

Choke chains, being less painful, allow for more pulling, more tightening, and pain and damage over a longer period of time.

Prong collars, apparently, hurt so much that the dog stops pulling quicker.

That's what I've heard others say - I've never used either and refuse to do so, although I obviously have experience of others using choke chains.
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2008, 10:58 AM
My opinion has changed since I have experienced one being used in a real life situation.
Firstly I must point out the trainer is very experienced & the owner very sensible & experienced.

More mature lady...had a spinal condition (much like myself) & a strong young male Dog (much like myself).
Husband sadly passed away & lady had to walk the Dog as she was desperate not to rehome.
After attending a training school she was referred to the trainer who I know.

A pinch collar was used once in a secluded paddock under supervision.
A flat collar & lead was used as well as the pinch collar & lead.
No pressure is used by the handler...the pinch is applied as the Dog pulls...as soon as the dog stopped pulling the pressure is released...unlike a check where people seem to constantly jab away at the lead.
The lady was very quickly walking this dog happily in all situations & by the end of the day the lead was removed from the pinch collar.
She carried on training at the club & never needed more that a flat collar again.

It's not a collar, it's a tool & in the right hands, used when needed it will work.

I have to say I've seen nasty injuries caused by Halti's & headcollars...illfitted & incorrectly used .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by *Lorraine* View Post

It's not a collar, it's a tool & in the right hands, used when needed it will work.

I have to say I've seen nasty injuries caused by Halti's & headcollars...illfitted & incorrectly used .
[/I]
That's very true all "tools" can be used incorrectly, if not fitted right, Pinch/prong collars along with all the other tools you can use are easily available to buy..with out any instructions on how to use them, sorry thats not true instructions will come with them, I should say, how many people will read them.

Your lady was lucky ,or should I say the dog was, there was a trainer there to show her how to use it correctly...

Other dogs may not have that privilege, and a prong collar use incorrectly may do far more harm than a headcollar.

When using a headcollar it should be obvious to the eye if fitted incorrectly....not so with a prong collor. specailly to th novice owner.
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I also should have pointed out...at no time did the owner hold the lead attached to the pinch collar...she was holding the one attached to the flat collar.

I don't think they should be on sale as they are....but if they are banned people will just import them & use them unsupervised behind closed doors .
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 11:59 AM
I think any collar is dangerous in the wrong hands to be honest.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2008, 12:05 PM
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"][I]I also should have pointed out...at no time did the owner hold the lead attached to the pinch collar...she was holding the one attached to the flat collar.
Who held onto the prong collar?

[I don't think they should be on sale as they are....but if they are banned people will just import them & use them unsupervised behind closed doors
I think they are used unsupervised already.
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2008, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=Jackbox;1307492]Who held onto the prong collar?/QUOTE]

The instructor...though I think a more able bodied person could have held both leads.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Hi Are you in the US??
They are illegal for someone to sell here, but I think it is legal to import one for your use!!!! Absolute crazy.

I hate them, and I know that some trainers of certain breeds do use them still.
Yes I am in the US.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
I think any collar is dangerous in the wrong hands to be honest.
So do I fliggle..............and to be blunt, I don't know what gives humans the GOD DAMN RIGHT to use such barbaric things..........perhaps the dog should put one on a human for a change. Just because dogs don't say 'get this f**** thing off me' humans think it's ok. I don't use chocker,prong collars, halti's or anything like that, and never have.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I have always managed dogs without them,., even pullers,,x
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »