View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Glad to hear you are feeling better, I think most people know what you have been through with tooth pain, I think it is one of the worst pains to have. Things can only getter better now you have had the bad ones removed.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Been there Colin for 3 whole months, so I bought a blender, that turns it into your baby food!!!! Awwww, glad you seem a bit better this morning. You'll be getting better day by day now that they've come out and the swelling goes down! Best thing you ever did coz you would just have got them coming back all the time like I did! You take care of yourself.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi Colin, I hope you're feeling a bit better now. Have you graduated to solid food yet?

I'm still rather surprised at your pharmacist recommending ibuprofen, given your medical history. Ibuprofen does the same things to your stomach as aspirin (my mum can't even use it in topical gel form without getting dreadful stomach pains!), and it thins the blood too. I'm glad it did the job for you with the teeth, but please ask your GP before taking it again, and certainly try not to take it on an empty stomach.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
Hi Colin, I hope you're feeling a bit better now. Have you graduated to solid food yet?

I'm still rather surprised at your pharmacist recommending ibuprofen, given your medical history. Ibuprofen does the same things to your stomach as aspirin (my mum can't even use it in topical gel form without getting dreadful stomach pains!), and it thins the blood too. I'm glad it did the job for you with the teeth, but please ask your GP before taking it again, and certainly try not to take it on an empty stomach.
Yes I have graduated to solid food. I had hard-boiled eggs and bread and butter soldiers tonight.

Your correct about it also being a blood thinner, but according to the pharmacist Nurofen does not react with Warfarin as the same way as aspirin does.

Yes I did have a small bit of bleeding, but nothing major, just a small bleed over night.

The one thing I could kill for right now is a T-bone steak, or come to think of it, meat of any kind.

All I’ve really had is soup, rice puddings and baby (liquidised) food.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
I believe codeine as mixed with paracetamol is available over the counter from a pharmacy only.

Codeine phosphate however is serious stuff and is a controlled drug so prescription only. As carers we can't touch it unless in special circumstances.

Never buy brand name Neurofen, just ask for Ibruprofen, much much cheaper.... and remember that all painkillers cause constipation, so make sure you drink plenty and eat plenty of fibre.

My OH often gets prescribed painkillers for sciatica, and as soon as he's on them I get to take some lactulose syrup every day to help things tickalong nicely. Better that than some serious senna later! But don't tell him I told you this lol.
Just wanted to add that Codeine Phos isn't classed as a controlled drug. Morphine, Pethideine etc are classed as controlled drugs and have to be locked away and signed for by two qualified members of staff before being administrated, however Codeine Phos can be given the same way Diclofenac can (another anti inflammatory POM). It can be highly addictive as Codeine does turn to Morphine in the Liver, but isn't a controlled drug in the same sense. Also not all pain killers cause constipation, but all those that contain Morphine (Fentanyl, Buprenorphine, Oxycodone, Codeine) will make you constipated.

I would, however, definitely agree about avoiding brand names. All you're paying for is the name, a cheap brand Ibuprofen is exactly the same as "Nurofen" Ibuprofen, you're just lining a drug company's pockets!

Hope the pain has eased a bit now Colin!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4