Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Maryan View Post
I was reading the policy of one recue centre and they insisted that people who rehome bitches from them should have them spayed which is fair enough. It then went on to say that if the new owners didn't have the bitches spayed any puppies they might have would belong to the rescue. I can see in one sense where they're coming from, especially with people who have never owned a dog before, but surely if someone's given one of their dogs a home and donated money then that dog and any resultant puppies should belong to the new owner?.

No, most rescues adopt out to a `guardian` - not a new `owner`. the dogs remain the legal property of the rescue orgs so if anyone adopted a dog and allowed puppies to happen they would indeed also legally belong to the rescue.
All my rescue crew were adopted out to me under that condition as per the policies of the rescues concerned.

If I had allowed a pregnancy to occur with one of my adopted dogs prior to their ops [ those which could`nt have it done pre-adoption ], I`d have expected the rescue orgs concerned to reclaim the adopted dog as well as any pups.

When giving a rescue org a donation at the time of adopting a dog, a donation is exactly what it is - a donation. Its not a `purchase ` price like when buying a TV from a shop

I don't think dogs should be having pups for the sake of it especially with the number of dogs in need of a home but what if the new owners are experienced and know what they're doing and could find homes themselves? I couldn't get my head around that policy when I read it and I don't know how they've managed to find new homes for their dogs.
If they are experienced dog owners the last thing they would be doing is allowing or deliberately breeding a litter from a rescue dog in the first place
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 09:06 PM
I would not have any 'entire' dog of mine spayed/ nuetered in order to get a rescue dog unless i was intending to anyway.
even If it was the deciding factor I still wouldn't. It goes without saying that any dog that came from rescue is to be neutered but really don't see why it should be required for any dogs already in the home , I've never heard anything so stupid and must result in dogs languishing in kennels.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Here's another good one. I know of some friends who had a white cat (deaf and blind and therefore a house cat). This cat was entire and when the cats owners applied to adopt a dog and the rescue was told that the cat wasn't neutered they refused the couple the dog entirely on those grounds?!?!?!?

Now, is it just me or is that going seriously over the top!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Here's another good one. I know of some friends who had a white cat (deaf and blind and therefore a house cat). This cat was entire and when the cats owners applied to adopt a dog and the rescue was told that the cat wasn't neutered they refused the couple the dog entirely on those grounds?!?!?!?

Now, is it just me or is that going seriously over the top!
Over the top RIPS and fallen of the edge , but then agin maybe they did not want cross puddydogs , now that would be a cross to be seen xxdk
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 12:43 AM
No I would most certainly Not.

My dogs are shown and in any case, why should I be dictated to by someone who is unlikely to ever do a home check again of the dog anyhow.
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2007, 12:50 AM
I do think its a criteria thats worth listening to, but i do think they should have some leeway with individual cases..

The problem with males is many make the mistake of neuturing far too young usually at the onset of raging hormones (1st onset of issues) i have found when we did that with ours hes neither here nor there, hes somewhere in between as in confrontational but he will never retaliate...
Put him with an entire dog of similar age/breed i would expect fireworks...
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I'd neuter a rescue but not my boy who is shown
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2007, 08:44 PM
When i rehomed Bruno i thought that he would of been neutered,especially the type of dog he was.But he wasn't,and i was not asked to do so.But the money i paid for him should of include,a first injection an being neutered.If i had a bitch and had no intentions of showing.Then i would more than likely have her done.This is why i went to the dogs home in the first place instead of buying a pup.Now i wish i had bought a pup.But i won't incourage back street breeders who just do it for money.My boxer x is a male an my lurcher Gype is a male,So at the moment don.t have that problem.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 09:16 PM
As a breed rescue rep It is unlikely that I would place a rescue male in a home with an unspayed bitch purely because the male may, even though he would have been neutered prior to placing him, still show unwanted behaviour like scent marking in the house, aggression with other dogs and trying to mount the bitch. For that reason I would probably pass on that home, however I would have no problem putting a rescued bitch with an entire dog as our bitch would be spayed anyway. We never place male with male whether neutered or not.

Our rescued dogs are in temporary foster homes for assessment and not in kennels so we don't have to worry about keeping a dog kenneled for long periods of time. We have to assess the long term implications when homing, and to have dogs handed back because of unwanted behaviour is not good for the dogs for this reason we try to make sure the next home is the last home. Sure we sometimes get it wrong, but we do all the checks that we can both pre and post homing but sometimes the wrong owner manages to slip through.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 11:28 PM
No, I certainly would not.

I have took on dogs from rescue's/private homes all my adult life, but I won't be dictated to what I should and shouldn't do with my existing dogs.

I took on an entire Great Dane from the RSPCA and neutered him as a matter of course. Both my bitches (private re-home and rescue centre) were both spayed purely by choice.

Rescue's can't afford to pick and choose I'm afraid. It's the quality of home that the dog is going to that should be top of the list. If the rescue centre is neutering/spaying dogs before they're re-homed, then this question shouldn't come into the equation.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >