Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why? if responsible breeders with quality stock, sold to good pet shops like Hevvurs where they are careful about where thye home to, whats wrong with it?
I don't see any thing wrong with it.
If there good breeders and good pet shops who ensure they go to the right kind of owner, who have all the info about the animal and its needs, what is the difference between the shop and the breeder direct.
There is nothing to stop the shop from giving the breeders details or the breeders having a list of the owners.

I have brought animals from shops before, if i am happy with the health and care it has recieved, then i don't see any thing wrong with it.
It is my own choice the method in which i choose to purchase any animal, i become responsible for what ever the type is.

Zounds, the general public don't know rat breeders to get a pet rat direct from the breeder, hence most are brought from shops. The rats we had, came from a local pet shop, both of them healthy and good natured.
I think it is the case for most of the rodents not just rats.

Heather i would be happy to purchase from a shop like yours. Its just some haven't got the same standards.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why? if responsible breeders with quality stock, sold to good pet shops like Hevvurs where they are careful about where thye home to, whats wrong with it?
nothing but every pet shop i have come accross - pets aat home - local pet shops - people generally breeding pets - they are all in poor state etc - i just think anyone who wants to breed anything should have a lisence and be inspected - -going again into breeding dogs like my argument before

having said that - that law i seriously doubt would ever happen as people (like myself ) mistakely buy animals from crappy pet shops - and the more they buy the more demand - but why would a pet shop buy good quality animals from a breeder???? when they can buy cheap stock from - generally - a back street breeder - or someones little hammy has an 'acciental' litter

Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post

Suze - I do buy my animals from breeders - good breeders. I care about the homes they go to, I give out information sheets if required, I tell people all the information they need to know.
then you are an exception to most people - good on you!!

like i said above - most pet shops are not like youself
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 05:27 PM
lol hevvur well, it would be a whole thread... or even a whole forum of its own to explain how i think rats should be cared for properly! but the main things we can't abide to see in small rodents in petshops (not just rats) is if they're in tanks - they are not suitable, that they are not kept on shavings, or wood based cat litter, or any cat litter if possible. That they are fed a good diet (not anything like reggie rat or burgess) and that they are sexed properly.

I maintain that good breeders don't sell to petshops, and that is an opinion I will stick to

Someone said the general public don't know about breeders - thatmeans that those who *do* buy rats from petshops (just using rats as an example, same applies to all animals) have not done enough research. I have to say, that people wiht such little background reading - *if* they do come to me by chance, are asked to go away and think and read for a few weeks - besides, there's a waiting list for rats from me anyway! as with most breeders! I would not get an animal without researching it first - and in that research i would know that there are breeders, and societies. I think that's one of the worst bits about animals being sold next to groceries (sorry, but the way i see it that are being treated like stock), the impulse buying. Little jimmy says mummy - i want a hamster - and moans and whinges until mum gets it for him. then he's bored within a month, hamster ends up in rescue. Even worse if hamster is bought pregnant. Sadly happens all too often - and it's heartbreaking for those of us who have to pick up the pieces.

xx
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Well, to start with, the first thing I did when I got my shop was to take ALL the animals off wood shavings, and only the cats have cat litter!

I know my shop is clean, and my animals are healthy.
Since taking over, I have gained customers that stopped coming in when the previous owners had it.
People now come in and comment how clean it smells, how bright it is, and how happy the animals look.

I've also not had any accidents with regards to sexing any animals!

I know, and understand everyone has their own opinions, and I respect that, but I know I care for my animals in my shop - like I care for my animals at home, and like a good breeder, I take all/any animals back that cannot be cared for any longer.

leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-09-2007, 05:59 PM
But do you think thats why,you run your shop like you do?
Cause your an owner and not just a business?
But then again what is the difference between a shop owner and a breeder that see's the animals as stock?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 06:58 PM
I think pet shops will buy from good breeders because they care about the stock they are selling and keeping. If they buy poor quality stock and people buy them, then its as much the owners problem as it is the shops IMO. Why do people see litters of "accidental" puppies, kittens etc.. and buy one? cheap? feel sorry for them? these are the people we should be targeting, every bit as irresponsible as people breeding Rats, Hamsters etc.. except the pet shop can refuse what appears to be unwell stock or stock that looks poor, thereby hitting the "seller" where it hurts, his pocket, I would imagine in turn they would take better care to ensure they can sell their stock.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 08:18 PM
i agree completely - the problem lies with the buyers as much as with the shops.

To be fair, the sort of people who just want an animal cheap, or on impulse, are the sort of people i regularly turn away animalless - because i don't like that impatient 'must have it now' attitude, andin any case - there's usually up to a 6 month wait for kits from us!

Hevvur - your shop does sound better than any shop i've visited and suonds like you're doign a very good job there! I suppose my main reason for not shopping in shops that sell animals, is that even if they do get their animals from private breeders - it's still not the sort of breeding i want to encourage, because, to me, it's just not responsible breeding but that's my opinion. I'm afraid I value health very highly indeed, and like to be able to trace my family trees back a long way, and also send out 6 monthly updates and check exactly how every baby i breed is doing. All my babies go under contract as well, which is a bit of a safety net too I couldn't have it any other way - so i hope you see i'm not having a go at anyone, but that's why i can't ever agree with shops selling animals.

hope that makes sense, it's my birthday today (feels forgotten ) and my head hurts from last night

xx
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4