View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 06:17 PM
A good thing for keeping fleas at bay is garlic, now I know your not supposed to give garlic in large doses, but my lot get brewers yeast and garlic tabs each day, and I can honestly say hand on heart my dogs have NEVER had fleas, there are four of them, they come into work with me (a dogs home) they mix at shows etc with other dogs, and never had a single flea.

Mo
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I've met a few people now who think the same as me about that Frontline, I always think it made my itchy dog worse! The vet also said they don't use it now, they advise either Advocate or Advantage, and my dog seemed a lot better with either of those. They also kill ear mites too. I stopped using Frontline about 3 years ago now on both dogs coz they did nothing but scratch more after I'd applied the pipette. The Piritons should help, and when I saw my vet recently with my itchy dog, she told me to up them to 6 a day!!!!!! I couldn't believe she said that!!!! I was always worried about giving him 3 a day let alone 6!!! I'm going to try the spinach with mine now, Id never heard of that before, but my dog's really bad, he's lived on steroid jabs all his life until recently when he can't have them anymore. Hope you succeed, it drives the poor dog nuts as well as you watching them!
Its good to know Im not the only one who has a dog that doesnt have the desired results from frontline! I think when I take her in next week (the vet wanted to see how she was after a week) I will ask for another form of flea control as she is still itching like mad tonight...she is even chewing at herself, Im worried she will make herself bleed..

Her skin isnt red or sore though.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
A good thing for keeping fleas at bay is garlic, now I know your not supposed to give garlic in large doses, but my lot get brewers yeast and garlic tabs each day, and I can honestly say hand on heart my dogs have NEVER had fleas, there are four of them, they come into work with me (a dogs home) they mix at shows etc with other dogs, and never had a single flea.

Mo

Is it possible to buy a garlic supplement Mo?? Or do you use pure galic from the supermarket? xxx
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Fingers crossed it all goes well. Try shampooing her in tea tree oil shampoo when next come to shampoo her.
Becky
Do you reccommend a certain shampoo? I have tried a flea shampoo, it smelt like imperial leather soap!! Dont think it helped at all. But I know how calming tea tree is so that sounds like a good idea xxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Oil Shampoo, for people you would get it at any health store.
Works very well.
Becky
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi, I've just caught this thread, I hope poor Flowers itching has calmed down, I'm sorry I don't have any solutions or help for you, but what I found interesing is that for about 3 weeks after Frontlineing Jack, he gets very itchy, and this descreses with time, if this makes any sense, I though it was just that we'd left it a bit long between doses and he's picked up a flea or three, but maybe it's the Frontline, I think we'll try something else next time.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 06:30 PM
You can get the brewers yeast and garlic tabs from Holland and barratts.

Mo
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 06:31 PM
you should be able to pick up the shampoo from there too lol!
Becky
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 06:35 PM
And H&B do a lovely Bombay Mix as well, (for you not Flower )
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Right thats y mission tomorrow on my lunch break!!hehe...straight down to holland and barrats... xxx
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >