View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Lamb doesn't make much difference with mine regards it being more fatty and upset stomachs. I don't know about these shoulders of lamb - if they contain much leg bone, I don't really like leg bones but everything else I'm fine with. With the pork shoulder we get it contains spine, rib and a bit of the leg bone - they are fine with all of it.
it depends which side of the shoulder you get, you can have a shank side which has a small piece of the leg bone or the blade side which is self explanatory!

Has anyone ever asked in Mr. S or Tesco for bones? I feel a bit guilty going into my local village butchers just to get a bone, as I don't buy my meat there, so I'm wondering if you can ask in a big supermarket if they have any in the butchery department?
Don't know what Mr S is? The only time I asked tesco they were rather rude and huffy and said no. I think their meat comes into the store ready cut so they don't actually bone it. Morrisons will sell you lamb bones but they are pretty popular. The best thing would be to speak to the butcher at your local store and see when they are available, don't let them tell you that they don't sell them, trust me they do! Morrisons will also sell you the trimmings from the fish counter, in basingstoke this week I saw salmon heads for sale as "salmon trimmings!" Again this is something you would have to speak to your local store about to find out availability. The lamb bones are sold to joe public for stock so they are human grade which is always nice to know

The other thing is that if you buy meat from them with the bone in even though it is pre-packed and put on the shelf if you ask they will remove the bone free AND give it back to you to take home.............
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2007, 08:38 AM
I hope it is British lamb!
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2007, 09:02 AM
I hope it is British lamb!
Well the one I bought the other day from Barry store was welsh but personally I wouldn't even tell people about it if it wasn't british. I think NZ lamb is :smt078

I'm not 100% certain but I think they only sell british meat at morrisons? :smt102

I know in Wales there is a lot of welsh beef and lamb on the shelves!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2007, 09:13 AM

I think for the future of British Farming we should all make sure we are buying British meat.
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

I think for the future of British Farming we should all make sure we are buying British meat.
I totally agree!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Has anyone ever asked in Mr. S or Tesco for bones? I feel a bit guilty going into my local village butchers just to get a bone, as I don't buy my meat there, so I'm wondering if you can ask in a big supermarket if they have any in the butchery department?
Tesco's meat comes ready prepared to them, so they don't give/sell bones.

I think it's good to give a local butcher some support; they are a dying breed. Even if it's just buying a half dozen sausages from them. I order heart from my butcher for my two dogs to add to their dinner; as well as a few bits and pieces for us. We aren't big meat eaters in our house, but we enjoy what we get from him.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Yes you're right there Evie, and I always used to support him, but I went right off his meat after buying some rancid mince, and it sort of put me off! Also, when I go in there, they're aways making garlic sausages and although I can eat garlic in some foods, I cannot stand the smell of it and it makes me heave when I go in there, and in turn that makes it difficult to ask him for a bone!!

I always, always buy with the tractor on in the supermarket though, definitely British!!!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes you're right there Evie, and I always used to support him, but I went right off his meat after buying some rancid mince, and it sort of put me off! Also, when I go in there, they're aways making garlic sausages and although I can eat garlic in some foods, I cannot stand the smell of it and it makes me heave when I go in there, and in turn that makes it difficult to ask him for a bone!!

I always, always buy with the tractor on in the supermarket though, definitely British!!!
Oh goodness, that ain't good.
No other local butchers you can use?

A friend of mine at school, her dad used to be a butcher back then, but has since retired. How I wish he was still in business! He would have been a wealth of decent bits and pieces to feed my dogs.

I went in to another local butchers a few months ago to see what they stocked. I asked about meats that were due to come off the shelves etc. They said they didn't reduce the price or anything. It gets minced up and sold as that.... I didn't go shopping back there since. So manky mince might not be such a surprise if it's the norm to do that.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4