Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
What it comes down to is that dogs are not born ready programmed to know they should`nt chew this or that, nor toilet trained, nor how much things cost, nor every thing else we want our dogs to comply with which are often contrary to natural canine behviours
So very true!
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2007, 01:00 AM
I beat mine with a HUGE stick..............this is Cody after he has been severely beaten!!!!!!!!

Any of mine would be mortified if I as much as raised my voice to them..............Tally has had some beatings with a broom in her previous home, she has just, after a year, began to realise that there are no beatings in this house. The others have never had a hand lifted to them, they respond very well to tone of voice. Unless I catch them in the act, then nothing is said - what would be the point? After all, they don't speak English, they wouldn't understand, and if something has been chewed then I should have put it away in the first place.
LolaDobie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2007, 01:19 AM
Ah, bless! Novavizz, you have a Dobie too, and a chair very like our Lola's favourite one:

On the training particulars, I am with Patch all the way. Anything except positive training is only inclined to confuse. Would only like to add that clicker training is a great tool to reinforce the desired behaviours too.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by LolaDobie View Post
Ah, bless! Novavizz, you have a Dobie too, and a chair very like our Lola's favourite one:
Don't Dobes make themselves comfortable - the chair is no more by the way - one of them, who shall remain nameless but who is big and black, chewed up my sofa!!! I now have yet another new suite! Dark blue/grey leather this time and he is NOT left in the room when I go out, you'd think that at 7 years old (almost) he would have stopped doing things like that. Actually, I think he was just making his bed and got carried away, once the foam started coming out of the seats then it was just great fun!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2007, 05:46 AM
I know it's difficult sometimes - gritted teeth are the order of the day! - but I have always ignored the negative and praised the positive. That's not to say I don't sometimes raise my voice at Lennon - he's the Oiky one, and I'm not perfect - but that's as far as it goes
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Mine tends to be more of a raised voice method "You naughty puppy" in a growlly raised voice.

I'd not bother if I hadn't caught him in the act, as he has no idea that he's done something wrong.

The only other thing I use is water....

Since Max is obsessed with the rabbit, he gets a cupful of water over him when he's trying to get into the hutch (since physically moving him away, saying no etc didn't work). Funnily enough, he's taken to sitting about 10ft away from the hutch and just *staring* at the rabbit....
mirandashell2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2007, 07:19 PM
You must have one nervous rabbit!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2007, 09:38 PM
i'm a quietly spoken person soooooo........if my mob misbehave then i shout like a fishwife and they hit the deck quick.

ohhh they know when the've upset mum!

kids as well!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by mirandashell2 View Post
You must have one nervous rabbit!
Starsky isn't bothered at all.... if Max presses his face to the wire, Starsky will often press his face against it too, and have a good old sniff....
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4