View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 07:31 PM
The dalmatian was bred to run alongside a horse and carriage while on the move, and then guard it while the driver had to leave the horse.

Does my young dalmatian do carriage dog trials? No. Do I keep my dalmatians as guard dogs? No.

Takara partakes in conformation shows - she wasn't bred for this purpose, agility - she wasn't bred for this purpose and we're even joining a sled dog team - she wasn't bred for this purpose.

If it's good for the dog, and it's being used properly, why should dogs and people miss out on channeling their energy through something positive that keeps them fit, just because some losers use it the wrong way?

It's like saying the keeping and breeding of all dogs should be banned because some people do it badly and give the rest a bad reputation.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Sara1210 View Post
If you really believe that, go to ed reids website and see when his next meeting is, go and watch one and i guarantee you come out with a completely different opinion
Sara..why don't you come to my home, meet me, meet the dogs and you'll see they are HAPPY and MUCH loved pets very much so a part of MY family and of course dogs that ENJOY weight pull..I'm not Ed Ried, I'm just me..

Of course the balls in your court

All of my dogs bar one are bull or mastiff breeds...all of which have done wieght pull only not at any kind of event..but you are invited to watch them
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Surely conformation shows should be banned then? There are a number of people who will quite happily rehome a dog that doesn't live upto the breed 'standard'. I have one dog competing in conformation shows and one who wouldn't get through the front door to one. I love them both and if Takara didn't do well in a show, it wouldn't bother me. But the amount of people who have got cross because their dog wasn't placed is madness and they end up blaming the dog.

You surely can't ban weight pulling just because some use it innapropriately? That'd be like saying you should ban all agility competitions, obedience competition, conformation shows etc because some owners get angry when their dog doesn't do as they're told and mistreat the dog.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
Sara..why don't you come to my home, meet me, meet the dogs and you'll see they are HAPPY and MUCH loved pets very much so a part of MY family and of course dogs that ENJOY weight pull..I'm not Ed Ried, I'm just me..

All of my dogs bar one are bull or mastiff breeds...all of which have done wieght pull only not at any kind of event..but you are invited to watch them
Can I come, please, pretty please
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post

So do you do this privately or in a group?
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Sometimes a couple of my friends who live locally come with their own dogs which include Staffies, a Bulldog, a couple of Boxers and a St Bernard
We all go over the field opposite my house get the dogs on their harness's and give them a go it's fun
Sometimes I just take my own dogs over there if no-one else can come, just me, the dogs and my seven year old daughter (if shes really good the dogs pull her along in a cart )
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 08:08 PM
So do you constantly add more weight? What equipment do you use?
tiago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2007, 08:29 PM
My dogs love weight pulling, more tia than drago, I dont take my dogs to competitions the same reason as nicci We do it for fun on the back field as soon as we get the harness out of the garage tia goes bananas she absolutely loves it and my daughter loves it too

Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
The dalmatian was bred to run alongside a horse and carriage while on the move, and then guard it while the driver had to leave the horse.

Does my young dalmatian do carriage dog trials? No. Do I keep my dalmatians as guard dogs? No.

Takara partakes in conformation shows - she wasn't bred for this purpose, agility - she wasn't bred for this purpose and we're even joining a sled dog team - she wasn't bred for this purpose.

If it's good for the dog, and it's being used properly, why should dogs and people miss out on channeling their energy through something positive that keeps them fit, just because some losers use it the wrong way?

It's like saying banning the keeping and breeding of all dogs should be banned because some people do it badly and give the rest a bad reputation.
That's exactly what I meant to say
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by tiago View Post
My dogs love weight pulling, more tia than drago, I dont take my dogs to competitions the same reason as nicci We do it for fun on the back field as soon as we get the harness out of the garage tia goes bananas she absolutely loves it and my daughter loves it too

Beautiful dog, and lovely photo
Page 4 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »