Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Lorna,
I believe people are only expressing an opinion, it is after all a 'public' forum. IMHO it is your decision, but if you are the type of person you claim to be you can easily come back on here in a year and tell everyone how it worked out, I for one would really like to know since I don't have much faith in humans at all but am always delighted to be proved wrong
If you're lucky you might even find an 'internet cafe' near your hotel
spot
Dogsey Veteran

09-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Do you have your own Home? if so maybe you could rent your Home out too a Dog Lover(with references) that would be happy to have your Dogs for the year for cheaper rent

Do the Dogs have Insurance are they Neutered?
Are you going to pay the person too look after your Dogs or just for the Dogs up keep.
Sorry but I cant see any response to this and I think Amie raises some good points that possible fosters might like to know.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I just couldn't go...... but I understand it's an opportunity difficult to miss. It just wouldn't be possible for me......

Precisely how I feel. My doggies ALWAYS come first. I do understand that the opportunity is a good one though, so I am not condemning SV for wanting to go.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 11:49 AM
It's not her own house Amie and Spot - so she can't rent it out. Good idea though for others in a similar postion...
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I believe jobs are what brings in the money to provide food, bedding and vet care for our dogs.....
It may well be - but I left a job I loved, to do a job much closer to home that I hated, so that I could walk my dog at lunchtime. My dogs are more important to me than the job I do.

This is not a dig at SV - just a comment to Evie's post.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I have to agree with Anne on this one and I can speak from experience. I waited for years until I got my first dog, as I worked for an airline as cabin crew.
I knew when I had my dogs was that it was a job I could not return to. Not long after I got my first dog I was contacted by an airline an offered a job in Dubai. Although this was exciting and my brother was working out there at the time. I made the decision when I got a dog that unless anything happened to me, I would never part with them, I will not even go abroad on holidays now as I won't put them in kennels (nothing against kennels, just personal choice) So it's off to Scotland every year on holiday for us, which I wouldn't want any other way.
Having dogs are a tie and causes a lot of restrictions regarding jobs, holidays etc. It was a tie I was more than happy to have though. Nothing (apart from death) would part me from my dogs.

I don't mean this as a get at sweetveronica, just my view. At the end of the day she has come on for help and advice but it's a difficult one to call. You say you are a singer, ie in the entertainment business, therefore you might end up in Egypt or somewhere else in the world for longer than a year.
You have to ask yourself is having dogs the best thing for you right now. I don't doubt you love your dogs but maybe it would be better to find them permanent homes instead and have dogs when you're more settled and back in this country.
Your asking someone to take them on for a year, bond with them, train them and then want them back in a years time. At that point the dogs might be perfectly settled and happy with someone else. You have to put your feelings to one side and put the dogs first. Personally I think they would be happier in the long term permantly rehomed with someone else. Hard on you, I know but It would probably be the kindest thing for them and cause you less heartache in the long run.
Good luck

Fab post - this is just how I feel.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

09-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
It's not her own house Amie and Spot - so she can't rent it out. Good idea though for others in a similar postion...
Sorry I meant more this

Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Do the Dogs have Insurance are they Neutered?
Are you going to pay the person too look after your Dogs or just for the Dogs up keep.
On a side note, having lived and worked in Egypt, I would also advise to check any contracts out very thoroughly as to what they cover especially health care and insurance wise.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Thank you for that, I'm hoping that we won't have to rehome them, as they love us just as much as we love them - I will of course only do what is best for my girlies, but I don't want to lose them! I love them so much, but unfortunately in this world you have to go where money calls you!

Thank you again for your message, I appreciate knowing that not everyone thinks I'm a dreadful human being!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

09-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by sweetveronica View Post
Thank you for that, I'm hoping that we won't have to rehome them, as they love us just as much as we love them - I will of course only do what is best for my girlies, but I don't want to lose them! I love them so much, but unfortunately in this world you have to go where money calls you!

Thank you again for your message, I appreciate knowing that not everyone thinks I'm a dreadful human being!
That doesnt actually answer the questions re insurance, paying for their upkeep and nuetering etc. which I think is important and whilst your welcome Im not sure I would make the same choice as you. Please be very careful about what your getting into.
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by sweetveronica View Post

I really hope you find what you are looking for, both for the dogs and yourself, and in this life we all have to make difficult decision and I hope you get the job and enjoy your time.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >