Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
All i can say is what a stupid ignorant woman!
She really doesn't know what she's missing and poor Bruno not getting a pat
I really can't wait till i have both of our's out on leads,it's bad enough with just Tyler,can't wait to see some of the looks when i have Meg with us too.
You should see the looks I get walking a boxer, and two staffies on leads....
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Aww Moli, she's absolutely beautiful aswell, i'd be running over to steal her
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 08:54 PM
It's not just bull breeds that get that..

We get that all the time.. Some ADULTS call them wolf dogs!!!

Give Bruno and pat from my kids.. (I only make sure they ASK first regardless of what type of dog it is!)
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 08:56 PM
My friend had to stop walking his rotties in the street as he said people used to gather up their children when they saw him coming!

Luckily he has a lot of land with his house but it's just so sad, they are stupidly soft if people gave them the chance.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 09:52 PM
All this negativity makes it harder for the dogs in training - Suki smells out fear and reacts to it. Can sometimes understand ignorance with people who don't own dogs but it beggars belief at dog owners doing it.
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm just so sad that this has all kicked of again, and it's because of ignorance as usual. My friend has a quite small cairn terrier and I would more worried about it than a lot of other breeds. As already said it's the dog and owner, not the breed so much.
Take care Dani.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 11:51 PM
thanks everyone for all the lovely comments, Brun ois none the worse for wear - happily snoring his head off on the bed all evening,

Will go back to try to educate people tommorow - it astounds me aswell that people do see me with my bump and not think that i wouldnt even dare have a "dangerous" dog with child !!

someone asked me yesterday "when are you getting rid of the dog then seeing as the baby is due soon" - I could hardly even formulate a reply to that one - I was ujust like why on earth would I get rid of the baby's big brother ????

LOL - they didnt find that funny - but then neither did I !!!
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2006, 01:35 AM
Like many other owners here I'm well used to the ignorant glares and tuts after many years with my previous long legged old staffie even though he was the biggest sop around and loved kids. Most people seem to forget that staffies are/were justifiably called nanny dogs after their love of children. The UK Kennel Club breed standard states they should be "Highly intelligent and affectionate especially with children."

I now have little 5 month old Lula (even though the vet says she's fat) and people are now avoiding her on the street and she's so tiny

Please let's start seeing media reports of *all* dog attacks, not just those by the bull and guard breeds. We have a huge opportunity to educate both owners and the general public, however I suspect we'll just see victimisation instead.

Hugs to Bruno and all the other doggies missing out atm

Sammy
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Undoubtedly all breeds and crossbreeds and mongrels do bite but it is the amount of damage they do that brings them to the attention of the press and media.

Undoubtedly those breeds and crossbreeds that have or are being bred to act as guards or for personal protection have the type of jaw, teeth and biting power that cause the most damage, the bigger the bite the greater the damage and the more likely it will reach the media and they in turn will stir up a fuss.

Unfortunately the GP look at the type of dog and lump them all together and the well bred Staffie and the Bulldog gets, in the publics and the medias mind, confused with those dogs who are or have been bred to be aggressive and have the equipment to inflict severe damage.

It is these dogs that have or are being bred to be people aggressive or have strong guarding drive that require proper and continuing training and the sort of handler who has the knowledge and ability to make sure the dog they have chosen to own presents no danger to others, the sprit and drive in a dog that make it appealing to it’s owner may be the very traits that in the end will be the dogs downfall unless people learn more of the breed they wish to own and how to train and control them.

It really is no good getting upset with the ill informed public, it is not their job to understand other peoples dogs, it should be the dog owners that have a full understanding of the breed they have chosen and the individual animals traits and this understanding and knowledge should start long before they buy the puppy.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Sorry the Woman was so ignorant they just don't realise do they how upsetting it is,wonder what she would of done if you had said don't let your Children stroke my dog in case they bite him.Sounds ridiculous doesn't it,but same sort of insult.Ollies breeder of Bernese and Newfies has people cross the road to avoid her when she is out walking.
(((Hugs))) from me and Ollie.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >