View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 03:18 PM
agree thats very unfair to those who spend many years working hard to get a GOOD dog thats within the breed standard ..its far from a beauty contest
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
You're talking about bettering the breed. If there wasn't a breed standard to compare dogs too, there would pretty soon be no breed. So If you value the fact that we have some pretty amazingly diverse dog breeds, all created for different purposes, then you have to accept that the breed standard is going to stay, and it's going to be fussy.

Conformation relates to "conformity" or adherence to the breed standard. A lot of it is how the dog is "put together" but coat colour and type are also a part of it, as well as character.

Of course I don't think that breeders should place conformity to the breed standard above the health of the individual, but widening the gene pool isn't the be all and end all. Look at irish terriers - one of the rarest of our native breeds, about 15 pups registered in the last 3 months, and no known congenital defects.

If the breed standards start to allow new colour variants, what will they concede next? Bigger dalmations? Drop-eared huskies? Smooth-coated border terriers? None of these is going to disimprove the health of the individuals, but they will dilute the breeds we know and love. There's a lot to be said for hybrid vigour, but some of us when we get a dog specifically want a terrier, or a lab, or a papillon, and if we know our chosen breed to fit into our way of life that's not such a bad thing.
Great post Duboing - this is what I wanted to say, but couldn't have put it so eloquently myself
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
It's just totally illogical to want to "better" a breed then eliminate dogs who's markings are exact.

yes it would be But is the health there
I think that was a typo, and Bodhi was trying to say it was illogical to eliminate dogs whose markings are not exact

Bodhi's arguing to include healthy dogs in breeding programmes regardless of colour flaws and mismarks.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
The breed standard is a theoretical model of the perfect example of each breed. Most breed standards list acceptable colour variants (as well as acceptable size ranges etc...) Breeding programmes will occasionally turn out a dog of a non-standard colour, just as you get dogs ouside the acceptable size range. Those dogs, while still pedigree animals, are not going to win any shows, because they're too far off the breed standard. Breeders aiming to match the breed standard would eliminate them from future breeding programmes, as they are more likely to produce offspring that deviate from the breed standard.

Hope this helps.
But if the dog bred is pedigree then how can the breed standard eliminate the colouring? Surely the colouring, although rare, is normal for the breed. Yellow spotted Dali's are normal and the only reason it is not desired is because of a breed standard which is outcasting normal colourings, why? because they are not as pretty? I still do not understand, who came up with the breed standard in the first place?

I can completely understand selective breeding for health reasons but from what I can gather breeding from a dali with yellow spots is a huge no no, regardless of any health tests. If a pair of pure bred pedigree Siberian huskies gave birth to a green Siberian Husky it would still be a pure bred pedigree siberian husky so why would its colour discriminated against? I do not understand this at all
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 03:31 PM
The panda orginated in the USA just a few years ago through a mutation. I didn't realise we had them in the UK already
There are some of this"colour markings"registered can't remember in which BRS they were in off hand, there were black & white puppies in the same litter which is what caught my eye(as opposed to black puppies & white puppies)

Border Collies that are mainly white like "white"GSDs have problems working sheep ergo breeding them just for the colour is going against what the breed should be bred for ie workjing sheep(the name German Shepherd Dog might give you a clue as to what GSDs work was & still is)

Like I have said I have no problem about these mismarked/non standard colour dog existing but they should not be bred from otherwise there would be no actual breeds I've had members of the general public at Crufts ask me what my Belgian shepherd was doing in the GSD ring-why because she was black they thought she was a smooth coated Gronendael-a separate breed with a totally different standard

Imagine what would happen if just any colour markings were acceptable The puppy farmers would be overjoyed selling their "rare"silver labs, lemon Dals, white dobermanns etc etc for even higher prices than they do today Colour is just the tip of the iceberg-allow any colour then it could be coat type or size, then shape & structure etc etc

People who dislike showing & breed standards are failing to grasp the fact that without the breed standards there would be no breeds & like it or not breeders will continue to breed to the breed standard

BTW the mismarked blues were from a Fawn champion in both dogs pedigrees as he carried the mismark gene & was on both sides of the pedigree & produced F1 gen mismarks whilst he was alive
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Given "standards" are prone to change over time anyway, aren't they? And is this done for the health and robustness of the dog or aesthetics?
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 03:35 PM
People keep mentioning health etc.

I am hypothesising - just say the dogs are PERFECT - perfect health, perfect temprement, perfect teeth, coat texture/length - BUT it is a yellow spotted dal. Or it was patchy over one ear.

This dog would be discarded from breeding, showing etc etc based purely on it's colour "fault".

I don't see how this is logical in maintaining HEALTHY breeding stock... And increasing the amount of healthy dogs to breed from (effectively allowing more dogs into the HEALTHY gene pool).

This dog STILL represents a perfect dalmation.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 03:45 PM
I dont understannd still, sorry I am just gonna say one last thing and be nice to me cause I dont really have a clue

Dali breed standard is only black or liver spots right? no other colours? not supposed to be joined together and stuff right? (not 100% sure that is right but nearly)

Siberian Huskies breed standard is far more ranged they can come in a number of colours and markings even piebald, with blue eyes, brown eyes, a mixture of both, etc, etc.

Why can one breed have such a range and one not?
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
Why can one breed have such a range and one not?
I think that this probably has a lot to do with genetics. Some colour variants are dominant, some recessive and some codominant. Huskies may be characterised by codominant colours, allowing colour mixtures to proliferate. Dalmations, I think, are characterised by dominant and recessive colours, and it ends up like a game of scissors/paper/stone:

black beats liver
liver beats apricot

This makes selecting breeding stock on colour markings a much more viable option.

Also, you've got to look back at why the breeds were developed. Huskies are a very old, and very practical breed. It's unlikely that their originators were much fussed what colour they were. Dalmations, while bred to work as guard dogs, were clearly selected for their looks as well, thus leading to a breed standard which is very strict on conformation of coat colour and type.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 04:12 PM
oops double post
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >