Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Thanks Ian, I was going to pm you and tell you but forgot Yes I can't understand why they didn't do the test ages ago and the receptionist said the same when she found out how long we had been struggling with him. I still am not completely convinced that the stronghold can cure it completely because 48 hours later he is still scratching a bit Do you think he should be completely cured by now if it was sarcoptic mange?
Foxy we had this same problem with Barney, he had it for months and the vet gave him Steroids and a special wash, we had to bath his feet and tail, every day. He lost nearly all the fur off of his tail and legs and he was so sore and itchy. Even when he had a skin scrape nothing showed up. I think in the end she tried the drops on the back of the neck and they worked a treat. I was so disappointed that this treatment was not given at the beginning. It would have saved Barney a lot of discomfort and also saved us a great deal of money, although we were insured at the time, sometimes I think that is why they take so long, to get as much money in fees as they can once they know you are insured. I feel sure within the next week you will see a big difference in Benji.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Katiecoos
Foxy we had this same problem with Barney, he had it for months and the vet gave him Steroids and a special wash, we had to bath his feet and tail, every day. He lost nearly all the fur off of his tail and legs and he was so sore and itchy. Even when he had a skin scrape nothing showed up. I think in the end she tried the drops on the back of the neck and they worked a treat. I was so disappointed that this treatment was not given at the beginning. It would have saved Barney a lot of discomfort and also saved us a great deal of money, although we were insured at the time, sometimes I think that is why they take so long, to get as much money in fees as they can once they know you are insured. I feel sure within the next week you will see a big difference in Benji.

Thanks Katiecoos Yes I am really praying that the stronghold does the trick and gets rid of these awful mites soon. My Oh said the same thing when I said I wonder why they didnt suggest this test months ago because it was always his ears that he scratched more than anywhere else, he said perhaps they like to get your money out of your first and we aren't insured because of a misdiagnosis by a pathetic lady vet He is still scratching his ears at the moment when I take his lampshade off so we are leaving it on for now because his ears are healing up nicely at the minute and I want them to heal completely if possible.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by IanIOW
Hi Foxy, i don't really know too much about sarcoptic mange apart from what others have said. The stronghold treatment should cure it though and i know you need to give two consecutive treatments a month apart. When you put the stronghold on just allow it to dry before the kids play with Benji.I still can't believe the vet did'nt test for this before as it could have been cleared up months ago...Anyway at least you know the problem now and it can be treated relatively easy.....Cheers...Ian..

Hi Ian, yes I warned Rhianna to stay well away from him when I put the treatment on and she did. We have to use the second treatment two weeks after the first and then see the vet about the third one.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Are you going to insure Benji now Foxy?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Are you going to insure Benji now Foxy?

I dont know whether we would be allowed to do at the moment because until the stronghold starts working we don't know whether he could still have allergy problems or not. I hope not but if we insured him now it might look like we are lying to the company about his skin problems.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
I dont know whether we would be allowed to do at the moment because until the stronghold starts working we don't know whether he could still have allergy problems or not. I hope not but if we insured him now it might look like we are lying to the company about his skin problems.

I think if his skin clears up with this treatment, then you should deffinately!

Even if it doesn't, it may be an idea, for any other problems he may get in his lifetime - even if he isn't covered for his skin!
You don't have to worry about things then.

You can get insured now, and tell them about his probs, so then they know.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Yes that's right Foxy. You can get him insured but make sure they know his existing problems, i.e. skin allergy, or his sarcoptic mange, they will just exclude that. You wouldn't get away with it trying to hide it from them anyway, coz the vet has to come clean if ever there is a dispute with the insurance company in the future, even if it was for something completely different, and then they might not pay out for something else you're claiming for. I have both mine insured even though I never seem to be able to claim as they only go to the vets for their pre-existing conditions which aren't covered, but it's nice to know if anything else ever did happen to them they would be well covered. It could save you some money in the long run.

I hope that Stronghold is working on him and he's stopped scratching now? Fingers crossed.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4