View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:31 PM
I havent read all the replys so dont know if this has already been said.
Where I live some of the farmers can be funny about you using there land, but thats just it its there, so if they dont want you to use that so be it. You have to respect there decision.
Mainly farmers dont mind people using there land as long as there dogs are on lead (which I have to say most are not ) I find this disrectful, I always keep Oscar onlead unless I know otherwise. Farmers have enough trouble with trying to keep there cattle safe with foxes etc without the hassle of unruley dogs running riot. Im not saying this is the case for any of our dogs but unfortunately it does happen alot- why should they have to put up with it, its not there problem its the owners.
Infact I walk regulaly in the same place where your asked to keep your dog on lead (which I awalys have), so this week it made a nice change to be told I was allowed to use the land to let oscar have a run . The land owner had obviously seen me walking there alot and seen Oscars behaviour, and felt it safe to allow me to let my dog off lead. I think alot of farmers are not as bad as we think, and that proves it.

I personally dont think it does have lot to do with breedism why farmers wont let us use there land- more about dogs in general. How do you know its breedism have they actually said they hate your breed- or is it you persuming?
Where I live the rule applies for all dogs not just certain breeds, and I really dont get why they would hate bull breeds in particular so much Or why you think they like breeds such as Labs, ESS so much- This is shown by me only just being allowed to let my lab off lead, so breed has nothing to do with it, its how I have behaved and my dog that has resulted in us being allowed to use the land.
Breedism might be the case you see in some farmers, just none of the ones I have seen
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:38 PM
thats the thing hun its not there land its public foot path and yes he says nasty breed is staffys (and those were is words ) and i dont go in the famers feilds and i go in public foot paths

and yes the farmers round here hate staffs said it me more than once hun! this is not me over reacting trust me! its breedism directed at me!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:41 PM
its a real shame that some people have a hate towards such a beautiful breed of dog i think they are fantastic and so do the boys we meet a staff everyweek and shes the most loving girl ever my boys are always pleased to see her
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:47 PM
thanks jen! im glad u like staffs i really am! your boys are lovely and who wouldnt like them!!!!!!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:55 PM
thanks hayley but you would be surprised about some peoples reactions and words when they first see the boys,ive never had problems with staffs even my son loves to play with the bitch staff who we meet if i didnt like this breed i wouldnt let my son near her but no probs whats so ever shes a gentle giant its like when we are out i always ask the owner is it alright to stroke the dog and if they say yes well im like a nutter cant get enougth and if they say no i respect them
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:58 PM
they seem like such a friendly and warm boys u know jen! mine do come across abit loud as they are very vocal but there is no need to throw insults and hate them and the farmers cant see this were i live! i cant wait to move out then!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 10:07 PM
aww hayley they are the friendliest collies you could want to meet people are not sure of them when they first see them they ask what they are and you tell them they always say well collies are black and white and when you have to go through all the explaining that they are collies but they are blue merles they seem to take a different aspect to the boys,they ask are they friendly and i say yes then its can we smooth them i say yes no probs and once they have made the contact with them you cant get rid of them
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 10:11 PM
lol jen its mad cus people see dogs as a certain colour realy then they get scared cus it aint! they very pretty lol
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 10:15 PM
i can understand there reactions sometimes seeing a collie a different colour and with odd eyes but people shouldnt judge a dog by its colour or breed i think personally there are a lot of people out there who need to be eduacted on breeds of dogs it wouldnt harm them to learn and to get to know different types of breeds then they would realize that these breeds of dogs are not viscious as the papers say
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Hi Nat in Hayleys first post of this thread she says

he said he saw a brindle EVIL staffordshire bull terrier (his words) and was barking and trying to kill sheep (well bessie love sheep for god sakes) so any trouble its my dogs even thou they never get out! he also went to hit my dogs
I took that as meaning that he doesn't particularly like Staffies myself

Nat I do agree with you, that people shouldn't roam over farm land and I wouldn't let my dogs not only out of respect but in fear of them getting shot at cattle or no cattle.

But public footpaths are just that, public! yet sometimes you still feel as though you are somehow still trespassing!
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »