Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by findahou
Hi Maplecottage,.....having them done ASAP proves your the owner if any of the above happens..... Sandi
Actually the chip doesn't prove ownership of the dog under English & Welsh law it only proves you own the chip ! This is because ownership can only be proved 100 % by a permanent mark like a tattoo/brand for an animal or engraving or magic water for an inanimate object

So using a chip to prove ownership in a court of law is deemed to be insufficient

My Roy is tattooed & chipped, he is chipped only because the PP/ISDS require it to identify the dog for rabies titre/DNA tests they are not used to ID of the owner only the dog !
Claire&Jay
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2005, 08:49 AM
I asked my vet about tattooing(spelling?) and they don't do it and he didn't seem to want to recommend it either. Can you get a dna sample? Sorry i'm sounding a bit thick!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 10:48 AM
For dna profiling info and form downloading

Click here

Fern's tattoo was done at the breeders house by a dog tattooist, however this link shows you where you could go to get it done:

Click here
kirstyp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2005, 02:22 PM
All my dogs have been chipped at the same time as there 2nd injection.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Claire&Jay
I asked my vet about tattooing(spelling?) and they don't do it and he didn't seem to want to recommend it either. Can you get a dna sample? Sorry i'm sounding a bit thick!
Vets tend not to recommend tattooing because they don't do it simple as that if it doesn't being them money a lot tend to diss it. On another board two people claimed to have knowledge(one was allegedly their own dog)that had been stolen & had their ears damaged rendering the tattoo useless. Surprise surprise when I PM's them off the forum re details for the registrar of the NDTR neither replied ! leaving me to think their stories were a load of cow manure ! Gill the registrar had no knowledge of these alleged events !

A chip doesn't mean a thing when it comes to ownership in law sadly !
Claire&Jay
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Thank you Joedeeuk and Maplecottage something to definately think about.xx
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
A chip doesn't mean a thing when it comes to ownership in law sadly !
Don't you think that's total madness?! Surely if you "own" the chip it would be logical for the law to assume you own the thing it's attached to!

It is very worrying though, how much is tatooing by the way? And how much does it hurt? (The dog! )
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 04:07 PM
It costs £20 per adult & yes it hurts but for a second & some dogs(like dobes)react less than others.

I have an assistant(& very good friend ) who holds the dogs & she is very good at relaxing the dogs & it's so quick(literally seconds)the dog doesn't really have time to get upset. All tattooist have to have assistants to hold the dogs(health & safety issue) I leave it up to Carol, my assistant, if she wants to muzzle the dogs 99.99 times out of 100 she doesn't even for the biggest of dogs, some owner prefer to have their dogs muzzled but it's not very often & we always whip off the muzzle asap after I use the forceps & before I apply the ink. I've done loads of dogs & neither of us has ever had a dog even offer to bite. We are both dog trainers BTW
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 04:08 PM
The link above in my post has puppy tattooing at £7.00

Regarding pain, I guess it depends on the dog and how fast the tattooist works

Fern apparently (according to our breeder) growled and bared his teeth at the tattooist - he didn't handle it very well at all
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Definitely something to consider then!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >