register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Yeah it has freeview built in and I can plug it into the broadband if I want to, want to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot when I cancel. Thanks for that Griff.
Gosh the Imperial was dead posh in the 60's and 70's, but Blackpool is really shabby these days and full of druggies from being a family resort its gone really seedy
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2016, 09:17 PM
she said it was a nice hotel..just could do with more staff, she said the lad at the bar was lovely but the wedding planner was awful Lol. They stayed at the best western in blackpool and she said that was a right hole, was apparently a superior room that has just been decorated, the sink unit was rotten and falling to bits, the shower rail was all rusty as was the soap dish and the bin hadn't been emptied...she doubts the room was even cleaned before it was given to them. i kind of feel sorry for the people of blackpool but in some ways not (b&b owners hotels etc) for years they have been more than happy to cater to stags and hens and take their money and squash more and more beds into rooms etc to encourage them to come, now they have realised that families don't want to be surrounded by that and are having a fit saying poor hard done by them etc...they encouraged and turned blackpool into what it is!
I know how you feel about switching stuff over TW, i ummed and ahhhed for months before going unlimited broadband but it worked out cheaper for me to do that than paying for 60gb a month (well mum lol)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Gosh the Imperial was dead posh in the 60's and 70's, but Blackpool is really shabby these days and full of druggies from being a family resort its gone really seedy
Yes June it's such a shame isn't it. The world is changing but I got the impression that Blackpool wasn't changing as much as necessary. All sorts of reasons of course, and for some weird reason several seaside towns have in the last 20 years become a target for the 'not so welcome' brigade. I was quite shocked to see that Bognor Regis was not the shining example of Victorian elegance that it once was. I am refering to the town centre of course, the suberbs may still be full of leafy lanes and grand avenues
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Like Griff says they've been happy to cram loads of beds into one room and give the minimum back, now they are paying for it.
Got some of my puppies in Blackpool and its surrounds, plus Cruz lives there so been in and out over the years and watched its decline.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
i kind of feel sorry for the people of blackpool but in some ways not (b&b owners hotels etc) for years they have been more than happy to cater to stags and hens and take their money and squash more and more beds into rooms etc to encourage them to come, now they have realised that families don't want to be surrounded by that and are having a fit saying poor hard done by them etc...they encouraged and turned blackpool into what it is!
Griff, I would suggest that many of the B&B owners have sold out and the properties are going down market, the whole town needs a rethink, as you say families don't want a holiday in a tiny B&B with no facilities, not in 2016 they don't. I rarely buy a weekend paper but last week was staggered to see no less than 9 full page adverts for the cruise liner holidays, far too expensive for me, but it gives you an idea where families go for holidays now, and there's one of Dogseys dearest booked on one
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
Have spent some of this afternoon watching "The Speckled Band" one of the Sherlock Holmes adventures filmed by Granada TV some years ago. It includes good shots of one of my old lurchers, a big black rough coated chap.
Have just been looking in our TV guide to see if it might be repeated but can't find it anywhere, was it on TV or were you watching a DVD Would love to have seen your dog. I don't watch many films these days, too many interuptions
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Tell you what Harvey...my mum is fab at buying decent holidays for knockdown prices...and my brother, he got a cruise out of america around some of the carribean for about £200...it was brilliant he says, although they were the only english people on it Lol
ahhhh yes Tumbleweed is taking to the high seas isn't he...with Sue of course
I used to live in ingoldmells, that was a bit of a nightmare, always fights etc, adults behaving in a shameful manner..... pleased to say never been on a hen do been on one stag do though...was an honorary bloke for the night..until the stripper didn't show and then they wanted me to get my gear off...not a chance Lol
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Harvey, not sure if it is legal to watch stuff on youtube or not?? but there is sherlock holmes on there
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=sherlock...d+band+youtube
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-01-2016, 09:49 PM
The Mem and I go to Blackpool about twice a year on average. Avoid the town centre like the plague, but love it down on the South Shore - miles of flat sand at low tide and the dogs can gallop to their hearts content - plus I can easily see any fools appearing on my horizon and take appropriate steps to avoid same. Having the dogs with us we call at a favourite Chinese TA on the way home and sit in the car stuffing ourselves with oriental goodies before the return journey (which nowadays only takes just over an hour).
Harvey - wasn't it one of our late kings whose final words were "B*gger Bognor" George the fifth possibly. Seems the Royal Curse has come to fruition. LOL !
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-01-2016, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
about two hours ago I had my first fall of the winter (won't be my last) my feet went flying from under me (like some sort of cartoon character) and once I was parallel to the floor I came crashing down on my back.
Aaaagh, sounds very painful. Last time I did that was in 2010 and I broke a leg, my own fault for wearing stupid cheapo trainners, I'm sure you have proper footwear but do check out the tread on the soles because like car tyres some are better on ice than others.

Bet you'll have a big bruise all over your back and weren't you supposed to be taking it easy for a while
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »