Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
I would never do this if i had kids, but my parents got her for my 10th birthday.
Makes me shudder that they did it but luckily i've loved her since the day i got her and have always done my best for her.

I'm 21 now and is still going strong
I think you're parents did right.Its good to teach a child responsibility,obviously they were there to oversee everything.Now as an adult you are more than capable of taking care of a dog.Think its lovely to have a dog or dogs to grow up with too.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
I think you're parents did right.Its good to teach a child responsibility,obviously they were there to oversee everything.Now as an adult you are more than capable of taking care of a dog.Think its lovely to have a dog or dogs to grow up with too.
I see what you mean, , but looking back on it my parents wouldn't have done a great job. They had dogs before I I was born and they got left chained in the back garden. We still sometimes end up in arguments if i ask them to walk her as I don't have time.
She's happy and healthy though so I guess that's the main main thing
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Before moving to Hungary I'd lived for years in an apartment block in central Durban SA where no pets were allowed. One of the main reasons for my moving to Hungary was because I could afford a small house in the middle of the countryside and have a dog. As it happened it took me two years to make my house (hovel) habitable and by then I'd decided I needed two dogs ... one small and one medium/large sized to make my life complete.

After doing loads of reseach I'd made my mind up to have a Maltese Poodle and a Boxer but as so often happens in a country where you don't speak the "lingo" something went wrong in the translation and I found myself mum to two puppies one a Tibetan Spaniel and the other a Shar-Pei! I think the pair of them were destined to to be mine because they've been the most wonderful dogs I've ever owned.

Sadly, my Pei died suddenly last year as the result of an accident but even though I miss her quiet presence still I've decided to have another Peiby who'll be ready collect in another three weeks time.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
Before moving to Hungary I'd lived for years in an apartment block in central Durban SA where no pets were allowed. One of the main reasons for my moving to Hungary was because I could afford a small house in the middle of the countryside and have a dog. As it happened it took me two years to make my house (hovel) habitable and by then I'd decided I needed two dogs ... one small and one medium/large sized to make my life complete.

After doing loads of reseach I'd made my mind up to have a Maltese Poodle and a Boxer but as so often happens in a country where you don't speak the "lingo" something went wrong in the translation and I found myself mum to two puppies one a Tibetan Spaniel and the other a Shar-Pei! I think the pair of them were destined to to be mine because they've been the most wonderful dogs I've ever owned.

Sadly, my Pei died suddenly last year as the result of an accident but even though I miss her quiet presence still I've decided to have another Peiby who'll be ready collect in another three weeks time.
What another lovely tale. I wish you every joy with your new Peiby. Although I suppose there is always the risk that it will turn out to be a totally different breed (unless you've mastered the lingo by now!)
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 03:34 PM
We've had Taffy since he was an 8 wk pup so not a rescue. We hadn't had a dog for about 15 years since Bob collie x died Due to work etc we didn't think it was fair. Anyway we went on holiday to Wales to a cottage with my sister & BIL. While in a shop for a loaf we noticed a notice in the window Border Collie pups for sale £35. I just pointed the notice out to OH & we talked ourselves into getting one. We phoned the number given but they had all gone. We'd decided we wanted a dog by then so asked the lady who owned the cottage if she knew of any pups on a local farm. It turned out their farmhand had Taffys dad & His dad had a litter. We phoned up on the Thursday & went up to a farm in the middle of nowhere on the Friday - the day before we were due to come home. They only had two dogs left Taff & a black & white one. We got Taff cos of his colour. When we got back to the cottage - via a trip to Tesco for dog food & bowls. Margaret the cottage owner said he has to have a welsh name how bout Taffy. Good one says us. As soon as we bought him to the cottage he was running round the farmyard & playing with her JRT. That was before he had any jabs.
Getting him has been the best thing we've done - I've made so many new friends through him.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Such lovely stories - I don't think I would have got such a response had the thread had been titled "how did you meet your partner" hah ha
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Such lovely stories - I don't think I would have got such a response had the thread had been titled "how did you meet your partner" hah ha

I think you'd have got a great response just maybe not so loved up
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2013, 04:13 PM
yes and probably one liners such as "at the pub", "worked in the same office"

Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post

I think you'd have got a great response just maybe not so loved up
Kazzyhoney
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I wanted to rescue a dog but because my son was too young 5 and half at the time no one would let us have any unless they had puppies. My children wanted a staffie or a collie. We came home and started looking on line. Funny enough we went on a website that a lady had just put her puppies on and they were ready to leave mum. They were staffie x collies. Perfect. Best of both, honey came from essex. I drove all the way up the following day and fell in love with her. Havent looked back since. She is amazing.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Hi my OH used to live next door to a guy who drunk,and he had this alsation it was left out in all weathers very underweight, my OH neigbour came round to borrow some monie,so my OH struck a deal and got the dog,my OH intentions were to find it a good home,because he felt that living next door,the dog will want to go back,that never happened,the dog they called Cuba and it acted as if it had been with my OH family for all its life,and even if the dog met its other family, but it didnt show any particular attention to them and continued to live with my OH until it was 14,it was a differant story with a cat,that turned up,they fed it eventaully it came in and remained for a few months but then disappeared again,later on they found that the cat had a habit of trying out various houses in the area,maybe it was a mystery house inspector and gave out stars,but even today it has moved to another area across the road.Gemini54
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >