View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2013, 10:13 AM
The thing about feeding raw is there are no rules that are set in stone, we all feed variations of a theme tailored to suit our own dogs. Mine never have a purely mince meal, every meal is bone based. For us that means chicken carcasses or lamb ribs with the balance being made up with chunks or minces. They get far more than 10% bone. I used to feed chicken wings but Tucson can't cope with chicken skin and has keeled over 3 times due to getting it lodged across her airway, nearly giving me heart failure in the process. Personally while I don't have any problem handling raw meat feeding a whole rabbit complete with head and fur would give me the heebie jeebies so I compromise and give them minced whole rabbit and they're fine with that. They also seem to have a bit of a penchant for the more exotic meats such as venison. For offal they have lambs liver which they all love. They go nuts for raw tripe too shame it makes my hands smell so bad for the rest of the day. They do have fish such as pilchards but I give that in addition to their quota for the day, I tried including it in the quota but they always seemed hungry afterwards. They also get bio yoghurt and cottage cheese and raw eggs as extras. They do get some fruit and veg but that's usually from me preparing veg or fruit that has become too soft for us to eat.
Sariska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
The thing about feeding raw is there are no rules that are set in stone, we all feed variations of a theme tailored to suit our own dogs. Mine never have a purely mince meal, every meal is bone based. For us that means chicken carcasses or lamb ribs with the balance being made up with chunks or minces. They get far more than 10% bone. I used to feed chicken wings but Tucson can't cope with chicken skin and has keeled over 3 times due to getting it lodged across her airway, nearly giving me heart failure in the process. Personally while I don't have any problem handling raw meat feeding a whole rabbit complete with head and fur would give me the heebie jeebies so I compromise and give them minced whole rabbit and they're fine with that. They also seem to have a bit of a penchant for the more exotic meats such as venison. For offal they have lambs liver which they all love. They go nuts for raw tripe too shame it makes my hands smell so bad for the rest of the day. They do have fish such as pilchards but I give that in addition to their quota for the day, I tried including it in the quota but they always seemed hungry afterwards. They also get bio yoghurt and cottage cheese and raw eggs as extras. They do get some fruit and veg but that's usually from me preparing veg or fruit that has become too soft for us to eat.
I have the question. What the point of giving cottage cheese and yoghurt to dog?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Sariska View Post
I have the question. What the point of giving cottage cheese and yoghurt to dog?
They love it for a start off and Bio Yoghurt is good for their digestion. My lot never have upset tummies. You can feed what you like, I have no opinion on what anyone else feeds as I don't know their dog or their situation.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Thank you guys you lot are brilliant and but by bit I'm going to keep coming back to this thread to try new things from all your suggestions.

Just to confirm, the pig shoulder I brought from the butcher the other day has been minced and I've stuck that in the freezer but the pork she's eating at the minute is from the supermarket and I cut that in chunks myself and froze so she isn't just having mince. She's still having just pork ribs for her bones but when there gone she then has the neck and everything from the pig shoulder to work through.

Today I've added some live yogurt to her dinner and she loved it so I'll leave it with that for a few days and see how she gets on. Can I give her a tablespoon on her dinner each night or will that be too much?

Also can anyone recommend what vitamins vitamins and supplements to use as I brought her a multivitamin from pets at home and I've been crushing her one if those on her breakfast each day but this morning I was reading the back and it says yeast in the ingredients. I know how dumb I'm going to sound but I'm trying to stay away from all foods that may make her yeast problem worse but now worried if I'm giving yeast surely that's not going to help? Or does it not work like that lol
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 08:06 PM
I' m sure other members will help you with advice. I just want to say Sara, I admire your dedication.An example of a great dog owner. I hope everything works well for you both.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Have you thought about using garlic in her food, I also put EPO, Omega 3 and Vit B Complex in their food every day as well as garlic.
Sariska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Sara1210 View Post
Thank you guys you lot are brilliant and but by bit I'm going to keep coming back to this thread to try new things from all your suggestions.

Just to confirm, the pig shoulder I brought from the butcher the other day has been minced and I've stuck that in the freezer but the pork she's eating at the minute is from the supermarket and I cut that in chunks myself and froze so she isn't just having mince. She's still having just pork ribs for her bones but when there gone she then has the neck and everything from the pig shoulder to work through.

Today I've added some live yogurt to her dinner and she loved it so I'll leave it with that for a few days and see how she gets on. Can I give her a tablespoon on her dinner each night or will that be too much?

Also can anyone recommend what vitamins vitamins and supplements to use as I brought her a multivitamin from pets at home and I've been crushing her one if those on her breakfast each day but this morning I was reading the back and it says yeast in the ingredients. I know how dumb I'm going to sound but I'm trying to stay away from all foods that may make her yeast problem worse but now worried if I'm giving yeast surely that's not going to help? Or does it not work like that lol
Actually you dont need to use any vitamin at least your vet says so. But you can add Salmon oil. As I can see you feed your dog nice variety of meat
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Sariska View Post
Actually you dont need to use any vitamin at least your vet says so. But you can add Salmon oil. As I can see you feed your dog nice variety of meat
Can you please explain to this ignorant old woman how just pork is a "nice variety of meat"? I mean one thing only cannot be a variety.
Meg
Supervisor

23-06-2013, 09:18 PM
**Off topic posts removed , please stay on topic.
Thank you
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
I' m sure other members will help you with advice. I just want to say Sara, I admire your dedication.An example of a great dog owner. I hope everything works well for you both.
Aww thank you Eileen your lovely

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Have you thought about using garlic in her food, I also put EPO, Omega 3 and Vit B Complex in their food every day as well as garlic.
Sorry to sound so dumb I have never used garlic for myself how do I prepare it for her I'm willing to try anything if she is going to be healthy on it. Also what's EPO and can you suggest what omega 3 and vitamin b to use please
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >