View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2013, 02:41 AM
My Dallas is hypothyroid. Instead of the typical weight gain he lost a lot of weight (20lbs!) His coat turned really dull and crunchy, it honestly felt like hay. He also got dark, thickening patches of his skin. At first I just thought they were callouses but ever since I started him on the thyroid supplements, the skin is softening and lightening up again. Since Dallas is such a big dog he needs quite a high dose and after the initial 6 weeks we did a blood test and he was still on the low side. Blood tests will need to be done regularly until the right dosage is found. After that it doesn't need to be done as often but at least once a year. I have heard of some dogs needing a lower dose as time progresses.

All the best.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2013, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
My Dallas is hypothyroid. Instead of the typical weight gain he lost a lot of weight (20lbs!) His coat turned really dull and crunchy, it honestly felt like hay. He also got dark, thickening patches of his skin. At first I just thought they were callouses but ever since I started him on the thyroid supplements, the skin is softening and lightening up again. Since Dallas is such a big dog he needs quite a high dose and after the initial 6 weeks we did a blood test and he was still on the low side. Blood tests will need to be done regularly until the right dosage is found. After that it doesn't need to be done as often but at least once a year. I have heard of some dogs needing a lower dose as time progresses.

All the best.
There are two kinds of thyroid disease

'Hypo'thyroid where the dog gains weight

'Hyper'thyroid where the dog loses weight

Hyperthyroidism is, i believe not as common in dogs as Hypothyroidism. It is however more common in Cats.

Glad to hear your dog doing so well. Treatment really does work well for them.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
There are two kinds of thyroid disease

'Hypo'thyroid where the dog gains weight

'Hyper'thyroid where the dog loses weight

Hyperthyroidism is, i believe not as common in dogs as Hypothyroidism. It is however more common in Cats.

Glad to hear your dog doing so well. Treatment really does work well for them.
Yes, that's right about the two. Dallas is hypothyroid (low thyroid) and didn't gain weight but lost it.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2013, 09:42 AM
my boy is hypo and has always been more on the 'thoroughbred' side his only classic symptom was cold ears/feeling the cold
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Just wanted to update you all

Ruby had her blood test last week and I have just got of the phone to the vet she does have a under active thyroid and I will be picking up the medication for her from the vets tomorrow.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by loufoxyloxy View Post
Just wanted to update you all

Ruby had her blood test last week and I have just got of the phone to the vet she does have a under active thyroid and I will be picking up the medication for her from the vets tomorrow.
Glad you got her sorted - she will soon feel a good bit better x
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 09:56 AM
great news! i look forward to weight loss updates and you getting your old girl back
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4